Building a DIY Music Server

Nenon

On 5/6/2021 at 5:35 PM, Exocer said:

I've been testing the 19V SR7T rail again to power the entire server (Today) and I wish I could redact some observations from my previous post. This sounds great

Vs 2 rails:

1. There is absolutely no harshness or sibilance (I have been listening for 1.5 hours now)

2. Dynamics are where they need to be

3. No thinness to report

4. Soundstage is about the same size

So for those who do not want to go with the unregulated LPS and already have a PH SR7T/DC4 LPS I highly recommend the Taiko DC-ATX to power both ATX and the CPU.

No, I have not switched out the EPS cable yet.

Some changes in my system since the first test:

1. CPU now runs at 4.5ghz (up from 3.8).

2. Tests were conducted with music files and OS on separate drives.

3. I've downgraded my Tidal subscription and listen mostly to Qobuz.

4. Perhaps the Taiko DC-ATX is appropriately broken in after several weeks of use.

5. Upgraded to a newer better sounding version of Euphony Stylus

I think i'll be keeping it this far for a while. The issue was elsewhere in my chain.

It'll be nice to have an extra 12v rail :)

Cheers,

-Rob

Good news.  Thanks Rob.  This is all I'm going to have time to do as well.  Could you refresh our memory on your DC input cable details?

PS - Last week I installed the new Shunyata Sigma V2 speaker cable, a copper-silver hybrid, and it is the most significant upgrade I've made to my system since my DAC.  Just like Caelin says, Sigma 2 brings in the positives from each material without the negatives.  Amazing cable.

36 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Good news.  Thanks Rob.  This is all I'm going to have time to do as well.  Could you refresh our memory on your DC input cable details?

Sure.

• Gotham OFC 18AWG 8P-8P(CPU EPS) Power Cable(JSSG360)
  • Paul Hynes DC18FSXL-0.75m-M6: 
    • Length: 0.75m
    • This cable uses 3 sets of DC6 cable (hence the designation of DC18)
    • PSU connector: Jaeger
    • Device connector: Molex 6-pin (hence M6 designation)
    • I use a single 19V rail on my SR7T to connect this to the power input of the Taiko DC-ATX Adapter

37 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Last week I installed the new Shunyata Sigma V2 speaker cable, a copper-silver hybrid, and it is the most significant upgrade I've made to my system since my DAC.  Just like Caelin says, Sigma 2 brings in the positives from each material without the negatives.  Amazing cable.

Awesome info. Here I am using this to good effect: https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-87080.html

What were you upgrading from?

8 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Sure.

• Gotham OFC 18AWG 8P-8P(CPU EPS) Power Cable(JSSG360)
  • Paul Hynes DC18FSXL-0.75m-M6: 
    • Length: 0.75m
    • This cable uses 3 sets of DC6 cable (hence the designation of DC18)
    • PSU connector: Jaeger
    • Device connector: Molex 6-pin (hence M6 designation)
    • This is use in conjunction with Taiko DC-ATX adapters (either 400W or 800W)
    • I used a single 19V rail on my SR7T to connect this to the power input (M6) of the Taiko DC-ATX Adapter

Thanks Rob.  I went with the Neotech JSSG360 from Ghent, but I'll have to replace the DC input because it's not long enough.  So if I understand correctly your only using one of the DC6 runs now since everything is going thru the Taiko?

11 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

Thanks Rob.  I went with the Neotech JSSG360 from Ghent, but I'll have to replace the DC input because it's not long enough.  So if I understand correctly your only using one of the DC6 runs now since everything is going thru the Taiko?

No, one cable consists of 3 runs of DC6 to create the DC18. I use the DC18 from PH SR7T 19V to the Taiko DC Input + the Ghent cable from Taiko to EPS.

Not in the mood to move anything but you can make out the 3 DC6's combined into a DC18 in this pic:

image.png.228af14d6adfe7c092da785fc75bfcee.png

No, definitely do not move anything.  Thanks for the photo.  My SR7T is on the schedule for next month.  You know, with looming hyperinflation, they're saying we should invest in silver 🤑

On 5/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, Nenon said:
On 5/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, OAudio said:

@Nenon 

Wow, 5uV = ~-135db of rejection ( assuming a ~30v rail ) ! 

I have been playing along in the background for a while using simulations of an unregulated supply based on the component choices in your earlier posts. With components listed and tweaking components parameters to near ideal performance levels its hard to get <3mv pk - pk @ 1 amp constant load.    

5uV is exceptional. Can I ask how you measuring the ripple and and under what test conditions ?

Thanks. 

Expand  

Have you tried simulating the dual choke CLCLC configuration? 

I had not spotted the move to CLCLC. Modelling that configuration closes the gap somewhat :-)   

OAudio Ltd.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:35 PM, Exocer said:

I've been testing the 19V SR7T rail again to power the entire server (Today) and I wish I could redact some observations from my previous post. This sounds great

Vs 2 rails:

1. There is absolutely no harshness or sibilance (I have been listening for 1.5 hours now)

2. Dynamics are where they need to be

3. No thinness to report

4. Soundstage is about the same size

So for those who do not want to go with the unregulated LPS and already have a PH SR7T/DC4 LPS I highly recommend the Taiko DC-ATX to power both ATX and the CPU.

No, I have not switched out the EPS cable yet.

Some changes in my system since the first test:

1. CPU now runs at 4.5ghz (up from 3.8).

2. Tests were conducted with music files and OS on separate drives.

3. I've downgraded my Tidal subscription and listen mostly to Qobuz.

4. Perhaps the Taiko DC-ATX is appropriately broken in after several weeks of use.

5. Upgraded to a newer better sounding version of Euphony Stylus

I think i'll be keeping it this far for a while. The issue was elsewhere in my chain.

It'll be nice to have an extra 12v rail :)

Cheers,

-Rob

I have been running my Taiko ATX for a few days powered by my 12v 19v SR7T.

so far I have preferred using the 19v to Taiko and 12v rail to EPS. Admittedly the Taiko to EPS is via the bog standard one that came with the Hdplex.

8 minutes ago, dctom said:

I have been running my Taiko ATX for a few days powered by my 12v 19v SR7T.

so far I have preferred using the 19v to Taiko and 12v rail to EPS. Admittedly the Taiko to EPS is via the bog standard one that came with the Hdplex.

My advice would be to get away from that bog standard cable ASAP. That is most definitely your bottleneck. Also, my Taiko took more than a few days of continuous use to break in so definitely check back in the future with a better cable.

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

How long have you had it running for? The lower volume is one of the general burn-in characters, so I suspect you don't have 400-500 hour yet. Give it some time, it will open up a lot more. 

Still very fresh, less that 40 hrs, a long way to go from what you say! It will be running 24/7 for sure. I will compare the volume thing to the HDplex 800 again at month's end.

Welcome back safe and sound I hope.

ATB

b.

Would this power supply be usable (and a better choice than others) also for other than Taiko DC-ATX? (yes, for example HDPLEX 800W) If so, should v2 or v3 be considered?

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

if you see how massive v3 is

Nenon, is the taiko diy case still planned to be big enough for this v3 power supply and the motherboard and the dc/atx?  Or are you now thinking it better to separate into 2 chassis? 

Nenon, this will take a while before the connection diagram will be available. Is it possible that you share some photos of your current testing setup. The reason for this is that I will make my own chassis and with the photos I will get a better idea about the size requirements. I have already designed my own chassis (for a different micro ATX motherboard) and would like to get a feeling if the unregulated LPS will fit.

Currently the motherboard is in a Streacom FC5 chassis, but will be assembled in the new chassis with the Taiko DC-ATX and a Paul Hynes SR7T or the unregulated LPS.

PC Endpoint samenstelling.jpg

IMG_20210119_092901.jpg