IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 7 months later...
48 minutes ago, OAudio said:

DC ATX supplies can put in good performances but PC's are current driven devices and at the current levels required DC ATX and other switched / buck supplies will only take you so far.

Linear is perhaps the best route but it's a significant task developing them for ATX supplies as an application. CLC is attractive but can occupy a lot of space and needs to be carefully designed but can be done.

We have gone for multiple linears with a list of special features in the supplies. Performance even at high(ish) currents is good and it shows in SQ achived.

If you can find specs or if you build try to target the measured performance recommended here (see link below). Measured PSU performance is not everything but this is one of the rare areas :D in hifi where good figures do come through into SQ.

(As an aside the current figures for our supply have been re-rated. From 10amp to 15 amp contunuous and 22 amps sustained peak per module / rail. These levels are not really needed but its nice to know that the headroom is there.)

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58164-building-a-diy-music-server/?do=findComment&comment=1086986

Hi @OAudio, I just want to make sure you are still just a DIY'er and don't have a commercial offering yet?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

Can you send a screenshot of the process explorer (windows) or top (Linux)? Wanna see how much CPU power this encoding requires. All cores please, don't think resampling is multithreaded.

This still doesn't make the claim with the "modified OS" more true as it doesn't change the hard coded routines in the CPU, and these routines  already do what you try to achieve on OS level - just in a much more efficient way. This OS thing sounds to me like a red hering to me or: you try to solve a problem which doesn't exist. 

But now I'll look around a bit more to see what others use.

There isn’t a CPU currently made that can process DSD512 with EC modulators for playback without dropouts.

HQPlayer is the app. It can be coded to be multi threaded. You’re suggestion that resampling isn’t multi threaded is a bit off. It’s up to the developer of the app. 

HQP also offloads to the GPU Cuda cores. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

Well, it's more like you are driving around at 30 km/h and tell others you need 500 horsepower and bi turbo so you can accelerate to 32 km/h when you use a 20 core computer to run Tidal which (according to the webpage of tidal) requires 512MB RAM, win7 and a CPU sold 10 years ago.

You should know better than to use a company’s stated minimum requirements as anything other than a bare minimum that may not work well. But, in this case you’re talking about the Tidal app which nobody uses. 

1 minute ago, Gurkel said:

Yes, and I also plan to build one, but before wasting money on stuff I don't need on the one side vs buying cheap parts I have to replace immediately I do some research - in boards like this one here. And after stumbling across these high power machines and the claims with the pure sound I started digging around.

Because I like computers and my job is to write programs/generate workflows for the data exchange between machines, I had a closer look at the data sent to the USB port by a network streamer and did some calculations.

So far I am sure there is no difference in the digital data of such a port. That's why I asked around if there is someone here with the required background knowledge to explain what's going on.

Sending PCM at 1,536 kHz to one of my Windows machines for USB output causes stuttering. Switching to a custom Linux build using NAA and the stuttering is gone. Same hardware, custom OS. 

16 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

Well, DSD512 is not relevant here, but I found someone here in the board who does upsampling to DSD256, and he is doing this on "They built me a custom fanless, 4 processor i5 computer that runs HQP with output at DSD256. Andrew is the owner and very helpful. Just tell him what are looking to do and your budget and he can advise you.", and another one with "so I finally landed to a passively cooled I5-8400 that is capable to do DSD256/ASDM7"

Well, above a rock64 but far away from a 20 core machine. And if you can use Cuda, then just buy a GTX1080 and you are settled.

Please take a step back. One person doesn’t speak for everyone. The post you quote talks about a server from Andrew at SGC. 

Many people would do DSD512 if they could. 

DSD256 is done by many people but there are variables that require more power such as convolution, different modulators, and more channels. 

I highly recommend learning the landscape of uses here before making yourself look less than learned. I’m sure you have some good information but so far it has been inaccurate. 

9 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

Leva that aside. If you send data over the internet, each data package has it's own CRC code attached, and if the packet fails the check it is transitted again (if you use TCP). No switch alters data, there is no data clenaisng of whatsoever analog side effects here. Pretty obvious but people buy it.

USB has zero error correction. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 12:17 PM, Soul Analogue said:

Not a commercial product

Nanosword got the necessary parts from me as a kit and assembled with my guidance 

no completed product forsale

thanks

Hello Soul Analogue, it was brought to my attention that nine days before telling me you are merely a hobbyist, you solicited a product review from another website by saying you are a builder of custom linear power supplies (see your post below). 

As of right now, you must follow all the rules that others with a commercial interest follow on Audiophile Style. Your signature line below every post must indicate your affiliation in the industry and you shouldn't talk about your products unless someone asks you a questions about them. 

If you'd like to communicate without restrictions, you're welcome to open a sponsored forum here like other manufacturers who support Audiophile Style. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 1.44.14 PM.png

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

i would not go for any switching psu🙄

and being “double regulated” i think that psu would not give what you need… quick transient and dynamics…

lets see 😅

This is your warning. You are a manufacturer of this stuff and you can’t comment like you’ve done here. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...