IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 2 weeks later...

Because the OPTIMO 3 DUO power supply unit features two completely independent galvanically isolated DC outputs, each output having an independent isolated ground, it is possible to power any two devices at the same time, without any loss of quality.

In other words, the OPTIMO 3 DUO, is the equivalent of 2 separate hi-end linear power supplies.

optimoindepentent.thumb.jpg.b14414613dcbdeef8ab6eefa770c876c.jpg

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

54 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Marcin

Unless it uses separate transformers for both sections then it will never be quite as good as 2 separate hi-end linear power supplies assuming that they both  share a common earth reference. There is always some minor degradation when using separate secondary windings on the same transformer as I found when making 2 low noise regulated PSUs for USB use.

Kind Regards

Alex

I agree that a separate power transformer would be better, but the difference using 2x optimo psus vs. using two outputs on a single optimo is minor. 

Regards, 

Marcin

PS

This post should have gone to JCAT club. I thought I posted this over there - sorry! 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 11/12/2020 at 10:03 PM, sandyk said:

Marcin

Unless it uses separate transformers for both sections then it will never be quite as good as 2 separate hi-end linear power supplies assuming that they both  share a common earth reference. There is always some minor degradation when using separate secondary windings on the same transformer as I found when making 2 low noise regulated PSUs for USB use.

Kind Regards

Alex

Alex, just  to add 2 cents: the power transformer in optimo 3 duo has lower inductance which makes it much larger compared to other transformers of similar power. And that results in a more stable magnetic stream. There is almost no audible difference between using 2 separate optimo 3 duo psus and one with 2 outputs. 

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, Dev said:

@Marcin_gpswhat are the specs ? what kind of servers are you using to test this currently ? I am curious if you have plans to test with high power cpu with turbo boost, like an i9 K version ? 

Please check 4 last posts on JCAT blog for more details: https://jcat.eu/editorial/

According to intel specification, max supported CPU TDP is 95W. Please see the table below:

130572436_822199581902493_1051247600043748590_n.thumb.png.22d51f550c7316b7f563ddfc39a0a624.png

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

9 minutes ago, matthias said:

@OAudio

Thanks for your post.

IMHO, the Taiko DC-ATX is a much superior design and can not be compared to standard DC-ATX.

The proof is in the listening, that is what @Nenon did, comparing it to one of the best LPS (if not the best).

Matt

Matt, are there any technical specifications or measurements to back up the superiority of Taiko DC-ATX? I'm sure this would be of interest to averyone in this thread and potential buyers. 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

@Nenon has a great experience, I have zero doubts about this. But the fact that he got the Taiko USB card as a non-SGM Extreme owner should ring a bell. As you all probably know, the Taiko USB Card is not available to purchase for anyone but Taiko SGM Extreme owners. I trust that this special treatment did not impact his objective opininion about the Taiko DC-ATX, but I'd like to see more reviews and comparisons before calling Taiko DC-ATX superior to all products on the martket. 

Full disclosure:@Nenonbought many products from me. I have no intention to doubt him. But l'd recommend waiting for more user reviews before calling Taiko DC-ATX the best. I would like to see a comparison to my upcoming OPTIMO ATX. 

Best regards,
Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

31 minutes ago, Topk said:

Data points.... What’s the total capacitance? I know Pink Faun 2.16 has about 800K and Taiko about the same (on top of my mind)

Also what’s the brand of the caps? We know Taiko uses Mundorf and Duelund. 

110.000 uF per rail so 330.000uF in total in the power supply section.  (Taiko mentions 700k in the spec on their website)

The capacitors were selected for both their properties and best sound during R&D while keeping the cost and final price of the PSU affordable. 

The headline is this: OPTIMO ATX is the world's first truly linear ATX power supply. It is a unique product that has no competition. (if you know a similar product, please mention it)

By world's frst truly linear ATX power supply I mean that:

- it complies with ATX 2.2 restrictive norm

- it has very advanced power management system with real-time monitoring of key parameters

- it is safe for end user and the equipment: complies with directive 2014/35/UE EMC, 2014/30/UE RoHS 2, 2011/65/UE, EN 62368-1, EN 50419 and EN-61558-1.

Taiko uses DC-ATX converter in their server. 

To be continued

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

2 minutes ago, matthias said:

"MULTI-STAGE ULTRA LINEAR POWER SUPPLY

Our 400W linear power supply is a new inhouse development, especially created for the Extreme and its special needs. It is comprised of only the very best capacitors from Mundorf and Duelund, combined in a way we found to be most neutral to the sound. The chokes are supplied from Lundahl and were selected also by ear."

Matt

In combnation with DC-ATX switching board. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

4 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

My main question for the PSU is, how much of an effect does AC ripple have on SQ AKA how much ripple current is acceptable? I mean to adequately filter 20Amps or so @12V you need a whopping capacitance, however if that ripple decreases due to the MB creating 1 V out of the 12V there is a reasonable chance that the remaining ripple current decreases.

It will be known to the public soon. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Just now, matthias said:

So you are publicly claiming that the info Taiko Audio is providing on their HP is false?

Matt

Yes, this is my assumption, unless they prove otherwise. 

I am disclosing full specs and details of the OPTIMO ATX, so everyone can judge for himself. 

What I see on Taiko Website and in the pictures are only renowned capaciitors and transformers. What is underneath is not disclosed as far as I know. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder