IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 4/4/2021 at 1:34 AM, Topk said:

Oh I completely agree that *dual* Xeon *with* Asus Sage C621 sounds better according to Emile. The combination.

Single Xeon was never tried that I’m aware of vs AMD Ryzen, and only dual XEON was tried on that dual CPU Sage c621 MB (which happens to be very expensive and industrial grade). So it’s a package.

In fact, I actually did test different MB on same CPU and RAM and will report soon (always only 1 variable change at a time!). Hint: significant impact of MB on sound quality. 

On the performance upgrade side, I did try CPU upgrade with, again, 1 variable change at a time (including going from 12 to 16 cores with all other variables unchanged) so that point specifically can actually be concluded based on actual listening test with a sample of 1 :-) .... with same architecture. And the importance of locking the CPU ratio to stock (or above) in my step by step undervolt process 

Another variable not mentioned is that USB card (eg Jcat) is critical to SQ with AMD (which Emile did NOT use when Xeon was selected since he tried the USB direct from the MB).

Usb direct from MB certainly will be less tha. optimal solution.  taiko has developed a pci-e usb card available only to extreme users as upgrade.  So having a pci-e usb is essential for optimal performance 

5 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Nice idea !

What power do you need to feed the Solarflare? I happen to have a nice 5V linear PSU lying around.....

I feed the solarflare x2522 using 6 pin 12v output from my ATX LPSU. This line goes directly from the LPSU itself, not from motherboard 

I tried to connect the 2522 to my Buffalo GS2016 and it doesn’t work.  Compatibility issues. I will buy a 25g router and maybe try SFP28 transceivers. Any suggestions?

1A3C7068-71AC-427F-A73F-36DC88927645.jpeg

Follow up on the externally powering the Solarflare x2522.

I bought a Microtik CRS305 and connect it to the Solarflare via 10G SFP+ AOC. And it works beautifully under Euphony. I learned from StreamerFidelity to change it to Ultra low Latency under BIOS.  It sounds wonderful. I can cook an egg on this Solarflare(very hot), so I installed it outside the Streacom box. This is perhaps the first Solarflare X2522 powered externally by LPSU on this forum. I think it would beat most copper based NIC solutions many times more expensive.

My current streamer is Buffalo GS2016(LPSU)-fiber-MicroTik(LPSU)-fiber-Solarflare(externally powered by LPSU)-i7-10700(Teradak LPSU)-Apacer 8G ECC-JCAT USB XE(JS2)-Uptone Isoregen(JS2)-Schiit Ygg A2-Microzotl 2.0(LPSU)-Line Magnetic 219IA-Audio Note AN-E SPE/HE.

I currently consult with Realhifihelp from youtube and he gave me a lot of valuable advices. Any advice is welcome.