IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

4 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

This is what Euphony is showing now !!

Im using a Asus Hyper M.2 PCIE card where my Optane resides but has no info on it yet, this might be elevating the heat

IMG_8177.JPG

IMG_8176.JPG

IMG_8175.JPG

IMG_8174.JPG

There must be something wrong on how you installed CPU, thermal paste, copper pipes. I would disassemble and redo it carefully (check out YouTube videos) and use Kryonaut thermal paste. 

9 minutes ago, bit01 said:

Apacer has 3200MHz DDR4 industrial wide temp modules out now. I have just received a 16GB one! In due time I will compare it to the G. Skill Ripjaws V (3200MHz). The Ripjaws produced a 'bigger' sonic  in my setup than the Apacer standard temperature 2666MHz modules, but not as 'sweetly polished'.

Wow interesting!! Looking forward to your review! Where did you buy?

By the way we can talk about RAM: I alternate between

- Apacer 2666Mhz C19 ECC wide temp

- Corsair 3200 C15 and

- Patriot 4000 C16

It’s really a matter of taste. Also 1 stick is different (probably better for most) than 2 sticks (even if 2 or even 4 sticks are dual/quad channels and higher bandwidth).

I can also share my experience with latency, CAS/RAM timing, ram speed, ram voltage...etc but nothing really new vs. what others have reported before me.

Overall: Jury is out for now... I wouldn’t say Apacer is unambiguously better for everyone. 

29 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I tried this a year ago with HQPlayer on a 3900x - setting CPU to 1.0v and it destroyed the SQ in this case, but yes massive power and heat savings.

Interestingly I also swapped in my Ryzen 5800x in place of my 3900x.  5000 series has big AVX2 improvements which meant the 5800x could do the same tasks with less power/compute which meant HQPlayer was running with the lowest cpu usage i'd seen in years.  SQ wise?  To my surprise I could barely tell them apart, maybe the 5800x has a slight advantage but beyond that I'd struggle.

The other thing worth mentioning is the Solarflare X2522 is worth getting hold of.  It's a clear refinement of the 8522 cards, especially when it comes to transient attacks and obvious lower noise floor.  Just be warned its not as widely compatible with SFP+ being SFP28, but some work no problem.

1V is very low. When you went to 1V, did you lock the CPU core ratio back then? This is key otherwise the bios would make dynamic adjustments impacting performance and sound quality indeed. You can even manually lock and run the core above stock speed since there’s very little heat generated. 

On the 5800x, I didn’t compare the 3 series with the 5 series but the 5800x has 8 cores vs 12 and 36mo cache vs 70mo. On the other hand the 5800x has the latest architecture. Your finding seems to indicate the 5900x and 5950x might be even better and that the 5 series is better sounding than the 3 series (which absolutely makes sense because the 5 series has better performance than the 3 series). Could also be system dependent and O/S dependent.

On the solarflare, did you compare with Jcat Net cards (Femto or XE)? Did you notice any harshness? The reason I ask is that a couple of users including Emile from Taiko noticed some analytical nature or harshness with Solarflare cards.

37 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

It did indeed lock the CPU cores to 3.3ghz which was more than enough to run the workloads, I also tried 1.1v resulting in 3.6ghz core speeds and got similar results.  My guess is there's a combination of cooling and power supply pressure going between different systems, hence the different outcomes, as well as running a much harder workload than simply streaming files.

I'm not sure tbh.  This breaks the whole more cores = better thing IMHO, as I was expecting a downgrade tbh.  Points more towards manufacturing processes and product binning.  It is interesting how the Extreme has stuck to a certain 10-core CPU as for some reason "it sounds better than the others".

Nope, but as mentioned the x2522 is definitely the smoother on transient attacks.  With the wrong SFPs however it can easily be made to sound aggressive / robotic.  And I use Onload which takes the performance to another level entirely quite frankly (something that can't be done in Windows). 

Someone else on here has compared the Femto NET powered externally and still preferred his 8522 Solarfare.  I should mention the whole network chain is powered by 5x LT3045s, with an EtherRegen and OpticalModule in the path before it arrives at the SFP which does majorly improve the SQ.  

37 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

It did indeed lock the CPU cores to 3.3ghz which was more than enough to run the workloads, I also tried 1.1v resulting in 3.6ghz core speeds and got similar results.  My guess is there's a combination of cooling and power supply pressure going between different systems, hence the different outcomes, as well as running a much harder workload than simply streaming files.

I'm not sure tbh.  This breaks the whole more cores = better thing IMHO, as I was expecting a downgrade tbh.  Points more towards manufacturing processes and product binning.  It is interesting how the Extreme has stuck to a certain 10-core CPU as for some reason "it sounds better than the others".

Nope, but as mentioned the x2522 is definitely the smoother on transient attacks.  With the wrong SFPs however it can easily be made to sound aggressive / robotic.  And I use Onload which takes the performance to another level entirely quite frankly (something that can't be done in Windows). 

Someone else on here has compared the Femto NET powered externally and still preferred his 8522 Solarfare.  I should mention the whole network chain is powered by 5x LT3045s, with an EtherRegen and OpticalModule in the path before it arrives at the SFP which does majorly improve the SQ.  

CPU sound: I think we all agree that each CPU range sound different and some definitely better, and yes Emile favors the silver dual Xeon due to the way it sounds

CPU cores: the Extreme does have 2x10=20 cores in total, split between core and endpoint and dedicated as such. This, in conjunction with the sound of the CPU itself, in my view - is part of the recipe for good sound.

So it appears part of the recipe is not only the CPU sound but the number of cores and the core isolation, in conjunction with the MB itself (and many other factors). In other words, it’s unlikely that the single CPU Xeon version of the same Asus Sage MB would sound as good since it has only 10 cores.

The next test to validate the core/power theory would be to move up in cores within the 5 series and assess impact on SQ. But it does seem to indicate the inherent CPU sound of the 5 series as a CPU range might sound better than the 3 series. 

I also want to mention that my test was with euphony (which allows for core isolation), not HQ player, and without upsampling, on a single PC setup. It would be interesting to know the rest of your system for context.

In other words having 16 cores and dedicating some to the Core and some to the player (gstp) in euphony in a single PC/CPU setup is some kind of replication of the taiko setup but on a smaller scale and without ram isolation. 

29 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I think we'd simply have to try tbh, but this logically still kills the more cores = better for me, as surely even with improvements in the 5000 series the less cores would result in worse sound?    

The chiplets (each 4 core unit) on the 5900x are rated at the same clock speeds as the 5800x (each 4 core unit) which suggests on paper they're using the same grade, but there's more cache on the chip too so who knows.

I think HQplayer and also active cooling will change the results considerably,  I've seen the same thing with running a slow active fan against a LT3045 10x PSU (considerably better SQ with fan). 

Would be interesting if you guys with passive cooling can try some fan cooling outside the chassis, possibly followed by higher vcores. 

Also the Keces PSU you use is rated to 8amps and as posted lately the HDPlex 500w offers 2x 12.5a outputs, which when both plugged into the CPU EPS resulted in a big unexpected uptick in dynamics.

Our responses crossed. I happen to have the HDplex 500w on the way so I can compare soon vs Keces P8.

As for the core theory, I am making the distinction between CPU cores/cache and inherent CPU sound.

It appears that the inherent CPU sound / performance gains of the 5 series give them a 4 core equivalent advantage vs the 3 series. However if we move up in cores within the 5 series, will the additional number of cores and additional cache make the sound even better? My prediction is that it will. Unless we have reached the point of diminishing returns. It might also be OS dependent (since euphony likes power and fully leverages all the cores) and system dependent (need a revealing system to hear the difference)

As for the 1v voltage and 3.3 locked core speed, the 3900x runs at 3.6 stock speed so while the decrease is small, it is a decrease in speed that could have impacted SQ and also reduces the ability of the CPU to boost. On the workload, all those cores are sitting mostly unused or with very little and very short use (without upsampling), so my theory is that the SQ boost has to do with process latency. But who knows.

I’m interested in your fan and cooling system: what exactly do you do and why SQ improves in your opinion? Passive guys tend to avoid anything that can add acoustic/electric noise and vibrations due to theoretical/potential impact on components and clocks. That includes fans, water circulation etc. Maybe to a fault?

Slightly off topic, but for context for non-Euphony users, here is how my cores are used in Euphony while playing music. I do have very short bursts (mostly 1% on the player on 1 core, sometimes larger % on the OS), it just happened to be all zero when the screenshot was made which is how it looks like most of the time because the workload is spread over 16 cores.

B24DEB23-9249-455B-BB68-A7B24C023CA8.png

23 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Valuable information. Thank you. Now running 10 cores & turbo on set at 5.3

I set PSU setting. Long 110w & short bursts to 150w. 

Didn’t try under voltage. Maybe something to try later.

For now it’s a case of touch nothing & sit back with a pint or two! 

Cheers

Victory!!! :-)) enjoy the music!!

4 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I'm no longer convinced ultra low latency is all that important either, but well behaving well orchestrated processes (i.e. harmony).  Many love Windows 10 LTSC and that is not a real-time kernel by any stretch of the imagination. 

For those who want to try real time (RT) vs non real time O/S, it can be done easily with (free) Daphile which is available with both a RT and non RT kernel. I did try both, and happen to prefer the RT kernel.

Windows 10 LTSC has actually a lower process latency than a stock windows 10 since it is a lightweight version with fewer processes than the regular version. And many tools like Jplay, AO, process lasso and fidelizer focus on process latency optimization showing benefits in SQ (this is quite the consensus).

I stand corrected on the 3900x base clock: it is 3.8Ghz (not 3.6Ghz) which means than a 3.3ghz clock speed is quite a bit lower than stock. So in the event you compared 3900x with a stock 5800x at 3.8ghz (not undervolted / down clocked) then potentially not apples to apples with a 3900x undervolted at 3.3ghz.

Lastly, another data point: the 3 series is on the Zen 2 architecture, and the 5 series on the newer Zen 3 architecture. As a result, even if the 5800x and 3900x run at the same 3.8ghz base clock speed, the 5800x (with half the cache) is about 25-30% faster for single thread performance, showing the benefits of the newer architecture. Therefore if single thread is heavily used by the O/S then 5800x actually performs significantly better than 3900x. Lots of variables. 

1 hour ago, bit01 said:

My previous notes on using the i9-10900K in the GB Aorus Master- no comparison to another MOBO (yet).

I should add that both CPU and DC-ATX supply 0V wire (GND) run  straight through back to the SR7T to minimize loops.

Would be really interested if you compare with a high end Asus MB!

Such a test is a huge pain to do (even worse if you have a fanless case) because you need to disassemble the copper heat pipes, remount the MB and CPU, put thermal paste wait for burn in etc. I did it but will not do it again, that’s for sure. If your system reacts like mine (which we don’t know), I would say it’s totally worth trying Asus based on my listening test and would be another data point for everybody.

Attached showing the superiority of the unique direct 16 phase (14+2) Aorus Master VRM design over any Asus VRM currently on the market (for the sake of clarity, the middle design is typical of high end Asus, 16 (non direct) phases, no doublers). The bottom one from Asrock has doublers.

It’s pretty obvious based on the below why I wanted to test the Gigabyte Aorus Master (first diagram) for SQ.

42205193-FD8B-4F87-BD71-2DA4606292D5.png

2327B713-26C3-4B36-982E-343F565EFE53.png

9DE896AC-16E9-46B9-B646-C819D4A6215A.png

Something else I wanted to add is that I would avoid ITX and sub ATX MB designs in general since they tend to have less robust VRM designs. That most probably outweighs potential benefits such as shorter PCB traces.

3 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Firstly I own the X570 Aorus Master and coming from an Intel based solution (granted a few gens old at that point) your description doesn't match with my own experience tbh. 

What your comparisons  did remind me of is when I introduced something which at first seemed worse than before, but it often turned out there was a bottleneck elsewhere that when rectified, then reintroduced the same change made a lot more sense.  But this is DIY and what works for one may not work for another, so take it as it is!

When you say your experience doesn’t match mine, do you mind giving more details on what is your experience i.e. what did you compare with what?

Especially since you also mention that the prior solution you compared with was a “few gen old” which would then introduce many different variables.

More details on the MB, CPU, hifi system used would be useful to provide additional context and assess this additional data point.

3 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I'll PM as to not pollute.  If you can, try it (x570) again with the HDPlex 500w.  

I don’t think it’s polluting at all, it’s sharing findings with all so that we progress our understanding of audio PC  :-)

17 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Kind of, but I have to admit, some systems just will have a different result to others.  For example I've gone rather extreme on the vibration control, so much so my networking gear (apart from the Solarflare cards themselves) are 20m+ out the way and also on vibration control!  There's a degree of "take it with a pinch of salt, and just make whatever work for you" going on here, rather than science IMHO.  Which is fine.

Completely agree. All disclaimers apply! There’s so much we can do as a community. 

26 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

@Topk i have looked at the ELfidelity products but I'm not very partial to the types of caps on them so I passed.

Did you try add some decent caps to your EPS and ATX cables? 

I didn’t try that but I’m certain my friend did since he tried pretty much everything you can think of. He is using large caps in the mains power path in his custom power filtering (Mundorf): it’s allegedly something that is unique that he has refined over many years. But not on EPS and ATX, he’s using silver cables (not the Mundorf silver/gold from Nenon). I’m using FIS audio (probably some kind of OCC) and plan to try some Ghent.

What did you do exactly and how did it impact the sound? 

Yes absolutely the EF so called “rainbow” caps look bad. It’s almost revolting to use this product, and in fact I was thinking of modding one of the 2 I don’t use with the best caps I could find. I even looked into Audio note caps. Yes, this EF thing is not supposed to work. The middle ones are bipolar of increasing values of 10, 100 uF... etc (on top of my mind).

BUT my philosophy is to listen without prejudice: proof is in the listening result and that overrides everything else. And the EF helps. YMMV

Maybe there’s an opportunity to do a similar product with the best audio caps on the market. 

30 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Many Thanks. I'll just try it out now. 👍

Please do report, I’m interested to know what you and others find out:

- I would start on the long connector side. If the effect is too strong, just flip the card on the short side. If you like what you hear, just add more...

- There’s a burn in period

- I disable the LEDs on the card (switches), “just because”

- if you want to close the lid of the H5, you will need to cut off the connector side you don’t use since it sticks out

Stating the obvious: no affiliation whatsoever with EF or audiophonics or Jcat.

product description:

“The AXF-107 module from Elfidelity is a switch mode power supply filter for computers connected in PCI Express or PCI Express 16x and designed to provide cleaner power to all connected cards (sound card, interfaces, GPU...).

Developed by Elfidelity, this product provides a HiFi solution to the noise problem of switched-mode power supplies equipping the vast majority of computers. Its careful architecture includes muRata and TDK inductors to reduce EMI interference, Sanyo SVPF Polymer capacitors, AVX Tantalum capacitors, WIMA MKP-10 capacitors or EVOX MMK Metal capacitors. Two groups of RGB LEDs can be controlled independently, with 7 colors available. Moreover, its installation is very simple since no driver is required.”