Building a DIY Music Server

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

passive cooling is doable in DIY, find a suitable passive radiant cooler (many are for forced flow), could do a group buy to have someone CNC router the heatpipes in (I did it manually, also feasible), should be doable through Ali...

A 300W heatsink leaves me at 46-49'C at full blast using a 12 core 105W TDP CPU.

but the big problem in a chassis is getting rid of the heat when it's closed around the radiator

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

the first sound is coming through the system, incredibly lean W10 using foobar (for lack of getting anything else to work).....two fans at 4500rpm blazing but what I hear makes it clear there is no going back....wow.

The clarity of the midrange, the weight, authority, liquidity, my current server is good but this is on an SMPS, no OS optimalization whatsoever, no CPU assignements made and network and screen attached (not headless).

WOW

B12 | Dynatron

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JackJohnson316 said:

Hi,

I'm starting to gather material for an Extreme DIY clone.

I plan to purchase the Asus WS C621E Sage motherboard, 12 sticks of D51.23184S.001 Apacer DRAM REG DDR4-2666 DIMM 4GB CL19 WT ram, and two Xeon 4210 cpus.

I'll purchase the case and heatsinks later (Waiting for the HDPlex EATX full size case quarter 2 2024 hopefully).

Here are my questions if anyone has experience or can help:

1. What operating system can I install of the Sage motherboard? I read somewhere this motherboard is so old that it no longer supports some operating systems. Is this correct? I'm planning on trying Euphony V4 to see if it will run. Maybe even two copies of Euphony, one on each cpu. 

2. Can the Asus WS C621E Sage motherboard support a NVME Intel Optane SSD 800P? I plan to run the operating system off of this card.

3. Are the D51.23184S.001 Apacer DRAM REG DDR4-2666 DIMM 4GB CL19 WT ram sticks the correct ram to purchase? 

I already have a Sean Jacobs ULPS, a Taiko Audio atx, a jcat ethernet card xe, and most of the cabling I need. So I mainly need a motherboard, case, ram, 2 cpu's, and a good operating system to start my project. 

Thanks for any input! 

You can use any windows  OS from SRV2012 to SRV2022 or W10/W11

or Euphony V3/V4

Optane 800P will work or any other NVME

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...