IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Please refer to the picture below:

XfJWS.jpg.90c636dc750a6cbcde1e86570ba40976.jpg

Blue wire is -12v, which is not necessary for the computer nowadays.

Grey wire should be supplied with 5v once all the rails (3.3v, 5v, 5VSB, 12v, 12v CPU) are stable, which informs the motherboard to initialize the POST process

Green wire, you can try to just float it (ignore it) or if it does not power up, you can tie it to the Ground

Good luck!

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

1 hour ago, Tatomek7 said:

At the moment I just installed:

·        2 x 4114 CPUs with B14

Do you have an idea, if 12V 10A LPSU ( one rail ) is enough to power these 2CPUs or I should be focus on two rails, as this mobo has 3 12V “inputs”.

you should focus on two separated rails of 12v for the cpu

the 4114 has a TDP of 85w... while this figure doesnt really tell you the actual power drawn, it is your baseline reference of the current takes up by each cpu... (the actual power consumption during cpu full load is usually higher than this figure) depends on the number of cores, turbo boost, HT enabled?

by ohms law, 85w /12v = 7a ... and you shall account for the efficiency of the psu, so i would say 10a is just marginally sufficient for a single 4114.

12 minutes ago, dminches said:

You may want to just start with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC which is already pared down to start.  From there you can turn off other services which are not needed.

if going for the windows route, i would recommend windows server 2019. The desktop experience mode is easily better than any win10 without serious optimizations

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nenon said:

I share mostly success stories, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes with my experiments. Here is a behind the scenes failure story... Tried to replace the clock on one of my Buffalo switches, and the switch board is fried.

IMG_3671.jpg.97de0b041281aeaa799bca3770439994.jpg

The problem is I don't know why. I had someone else remove the clock, so that might be part of the problem. Also USPS was quite brutal with this package as it can be seen by the bended port. 

Well, one less precious Buffalo in this world. That specific buffalo breed is nearly extinct!

I will sacrifice another one, and hopefully it would work out next time. 

What is the symptom of it being “fried”?

no boot up with all lights on? Or no even any light when given power?

53 minutes ago, sig8 said:

A question for experts:

My current Gigabyte Z490 Master motherboard has two available 8-pin CPU power connectors. I have only connected to one connector. Should I connect to both? I have never had or seen two 8-pins connectors near CPU before. Thanks.

Most likely the two 8p are connected

you can use a dmm to check their continuity

if they are connected, there is no rational reason to connect both 8p .. just to increase the wire counts to supply the 12v....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jean-michel6 said:

Buffalo bs gs 2016 . There are many report of the sq impact of using pf ultra ocxo clock on this switch .

Did anyone tried the same modification with their less expensive ocxo clock ?

I have used Connor winfield ocxo with great result...just note that the buffalo only works with LVCMOS output clocks....CMOS output does not work

23 hours ago, tgb said:

Thanks Exocer & SoulAnalogue for feedback vs clocks.

The question is : what's important => 

- the current to power the clock ? 

Something special in the PinkFaun power supply ? far far better than a MPaudio module (LT3045 based) ?

The connor winfield ocxo clock draws 600-800ma at startup, while 200-300ma after 30s of start

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, cool_chris said:

This looks fantastic. 

Congratulations 👏 

Could you please be so kind to share more about how you did 1 v and 1.8v  ?

We had similar issues whith powering the Buffalo 2016 switch .

It has 1.5v and 1v sps regulators on board .

Some were able to power it up but I am not sure what is the best way of bypassing those noisy regulators.  

I have already Pink Faun clocks installed, 

but wanted to power with LPSs only bypasding this regulators

Hello Chris

I think i already post in the buffalo thread about my trial on BS2016/A

it was my finding about the current requirement of the three rails on the BS2016

I have my discrete regulator designed to go down to 1.0v and had made it work to power up the buffalo (in the trial)

I will wrap up the buffalo project after this EPYC

6 hours ago, Exocer said:

@jean-michel6 thanks for sharing your experience going the SoC route. I will most likely follow suit as I contemplate my upgrade path from an ITX motherboard an i7 8700T.

In other news, I have completed my MPAudio dual output LPSU. It uses a pair of ALS-HPULN modules, Mundorf Silver/Gold 15.5 AWG wire and GX-16 connectors. Output is measure at a perfect 5V.

I chose not to shorten the transformer wires in the event that I want to replace it later and re-adjust the module for higher voltage.

The intended usecase is for whichever audiophile-specific USB/Ethernet card I go with in the future.

This is my first attempt at this so please do not hold back on criticisms 🙂.

I also have a Sean Jacobs DC3 12v LPSU in the works. After all of the recent talk of 10v I wish I would have had Sean tune the modules for 10v output ;).

The plan, to break in both LPSUs is to try various combinations of 5v/12v on my pair of Buffalo switches.

PXL_20201103_002125624_MP.thumb.jpg.85d75f98f1d412657730d479a517c28d.jpg

Not bad for a first attempt.

What is the current spec of each rail?

The Primary (Live and Neutral) and Secondary transfo wires and output wires had better be twisted for "natural" RFI/EMI rejection.

The chassis had better connected to the mains ground, for two reasons: shielding and safety (it keeps you alive if the mains happened to be shorted and you happened to touch it)