IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Following @Nenon project, I decided to jump in the deep water and just joined the C621 club with Asus C621e Sage mobo :) . It is not my first server base on Xeons, as before I had ITX X99 and atx x99 servers with E5-2630L and 10 core Xeon E5-4610. 

At the moment I just installed:

·        2 x 4114 CPUs with B14 Dynatron cooling, as passive solutions are not easily available

·        2 x 8GB, 2666,  RDIMM Hynix RAM, as I’m waiting already 2 months for full set of better ones

·        SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB for OS, as my Optane 900P drive is with my current server

·        Windows LTSC with Process Lasso.

I powered it up just to check, if it works. Now I will have to think, how to progress, as I still want to listen music on my current server with Euphony, based on atx X99 mobo with ECC RAM.

The project seems to be much longer due to the extended delivery time and complexity of the project ( mainly software optimisation plus LPS ).

Next steps:

·        This week finally I should receive Supermicro PCIe M.2 extender AOC-SLG3-2M2-O, to store my music on M.2 SSDs

·        spare PSU ( regular computer one ), to not switch my LPS between X99 and C621

·        Installation of the music app ( Roon, Jplay )

Next, next steps:

·        New LPS to power C621 server, I didn't decided what kind of LPS I should follow. I like the project of @elan120, but it seems to be $$$ and I have no way to check, how it will impact the sound in comparison to $$ solutions available :) 

·        New wiring for mobo and LPS ( Neotech and Mundorf )

·        New case for server

·        Passive cooling?

Do you have any suggestions, how to modify Windows, to get most of it? Do you have an idea, if 12V 10A LPSU ( one rail ) is enough to power these 2CPUs or I should be focus on two rails, as this mobo has 3 12V “inputs”.

49 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

you should focus on two separated rails of 12v for the cpu

I think, you are right. 2 trails should be secure solution. CPU is working at "low levels", but it's better to have some spare Watts. I do not forecast to upsample, so CPUs will not be overloaded. I have 10 core Xeon in my current server configuration and average load on Keces P8 is round 3,xxA with short peaks up to 4,8A . 

48 minutes ago, Soul Analogue said:

i would recommend windows server 2019

I already have Windows 10 LTSC, so I will go this route for awhile. I considered to purchase the Windows Server, but finally decided for W10 LTSC,as it seems to me more simple.

21 hours ago, Nenon said:

Keep in mind that this motherboard uses only one 12V rail. The 12V from the ATX connector, the 2 x 12 Volts on the EPS connector and the 12V on the third connector are all connected in parallel.

Thank you @Nenon, it's very valuable information, what impact on my further decisions.  On one hand simplifies subject of LPS, one the other complicates ;) . In fact I was shocked to discover it. I can imagine, what happened with your board.

1 hour ago, jean-michel6 said:

am now putting together a server with the supermicro X10sdv-f motherboard. It has a Xeon with 8 cores .

My mobo is drawing 3 to 4 A @12V .

There is no accessory powered by the mobo except an optane m2card.

At the moment I have 10 core Xeon CPU. HDplex 400 (19V ) and Keces P8  with 21V are really hot, when powering mobo plus CPU through HDplex dc dc 400 conversion panel.

Keces shows only 2 - 3A, but having choice I would avoid to power CPU plus ATX with one LPSU rated below 10A ( due to heat ).

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

How are you getting on with your dual CPU build?

I started to build 2 CPU server as well. At the moment it is the beginning of the project as :

1. I do not have passive cooling - I use just two Dynatron B14 coolers

2. I have only two 8GB RAMs ( Hynix ) - as I'm waiting for delivery of  Apacer ones

3. I use Corsair 1200W PSU - I didn't decided yet, how I will charge it. As @Nenon described 12V rail is common for ATX and EPS. On one hand it's simplifies and on the other complicates the project. Corsair works in passive mode.

I installed Jcat NIC card as I didn't modify yet BIOS settings. W/o BIOS modification and with mobo not burned in, the sound with Jcat was better for my taste. Same with Jcat USB card, it also sounded better in comparison to on board ports. Two Jcats are charged by external LPSU ( HDPlex AC DC 400 and Keces P3 ).

At the moment I installed Euphony stored on Intel Optane 900P card. In fact Euphony was already there and when I moved Optane memory from previous server, it just started on the new one, so I just kept it and continue with the system I already know.

Music is stored on Supermicro PCIe extender where I have 2 x 2TB memory ( ADATA XPG SX8200 and Intel 660p ). In Euphony these disks are seen by system, but in Roon there is nothing. I don't know, what is the reason.

I compared the SQ of the Asus C621 to Asrock X99 Taichi ATX board with 8 x 4GB Hynix RAM and 10 core Xeon, same Jcat cards and Optane disk. Asus board presents better dynamic, more 3D soundstage, better reproduction of higher registers ( voice w/o some harshness ), but lacks of some clarity, probably due to the power supply. Asrock was powered by single rail Keces P8  ( Munforf wire ) with HDPlex 400W ATX converter ( with ATX and EPS Neotech wires ). The C621 also is missing some of resolution, I would expect.

I realised further improvement, when I changed BIOS settings for latency optimisation ( chapter 3.5 of the manual ). @Nenon, did you try it? Can you share what BIOS optimisation you already applied? I'm really curious of impact on the SQ :) 

Overall the change is positive and project looks very promising and I feel there is big potential behind. As I still miss some components, I'm not in hurry to apply a lot of changes, as a new components will impact on sound signature.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, internethandle said:

Would Dynamat, for instance, work?

Hi, I just applied bitumen from different company. In my opinion what is important, the quality of bitumen and the  thickness. I had 1,8, 2 and 4mm from different companies producing it for automotive.  Finally I decided to apply 2mm as I was afraid bitumen with higher temperature will start to be liquid 😬. As @Nenon mentioned, be careful with your board as it is covered with aluminium.

Hi @internethandle.  From audio point of view, most important factor of damping material is MLF ( Mechanical Loss Factor ) ,which vary from 0 - 1 ( more better ). You should consider only products with MLF>0,3. Mat thickness of 4mm could have even 0,6. Here you have some more information  https://www.nonsolospeakers.com/it/sound-dampening-deadening/9480-ctk-standard-370x500x25mm-damping-material.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Nenon said:

It has 2 x 8 pin EPS connectors one 6-pin EPS connector and a 24-pin ATX connector. 

Before you entered Taiko ATX, did you use one or two EPS 8-pin inputs? I still have HdPlex 800 converter and didn't succeed to boot MB with two separate rails from HDPlex converter. Waiting for Taiko one maybe it's worth to try again?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, Nenon said:

The second version (aka v2) consists of: IEC inlet --> Fuse --> Soft start --> Transformer --> Mosfet rectifier --> Hammond choke --> 3 x Mundorf HC 22,000 uF (each bypassed with VCAP ODAM 0.1 uF film cap) --> Output connector.

Hi @Nenon, Do you know what is power requirement to boot C621 MB? Hammond choke is rated with 5A, do you know, what current is taken from PSU by Taiko ATX board? In the meantime ( waiting for final information ) I'm considering to base rectifier on diodes, do you know what amperage will be needed?

• 2 months later...