IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Just to add my two cents. I am a mechanical engineer with too much experience in metal works. The idea of having a copper base (Dynayron) and on top two copper bases is far from ideal. You should have made two new copper bases on the milling machine with mounting mechanism for 3647 square ILM socket. It is so simple. And glueing the top two copper plates does not make sense in the engineering language. All the rest seems to be really well executed. The final judge is the final result and it seems to be good. Congrats. 

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
14 hours ago, Downtheline said:

you have a customer!!! I'll buy one you make to replace the DIY I am also trying. I think multiple people on this forum would be interested, and could help recoup development cost!!   

Designing and manufacturing such heat sinks made out from pure copper is nothing that difficult, if you have the right staff to cooperate with. I have this staff here in Athens, so they can make miracles. I have been designing parts like this for decades. Have been designing exotic HiFi amplifiers with much more 'extreme' chassis work than the ones from Taiko Audio. The chassis I now manufacture take years to collect the know how of how to do them properly, it is a combination of extreme machine work and even more extreme man work with one's own hands. But all this is still toyz for little boyz, compared to the craftsmanship, knowledge, design, manufacture and testing required to make parts for Rafale jets and particle accelerator machines (cyclotrons). I have been through these later projects, so guys, please trust me, all this metalwork presented here is nothing. Absolutely nothing. I have no intention to underestimate the work presented here, on the contrary if somebody wants to have the most extreme copper accessories for cooling 3647 sockets, I can surely assist him.

It's really nothing that difficult to accomplish.

4 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Peter, sounds like you'd be happy to make custom passive server cases for us? that caters for high heat CPU's? :) 

Yes and No.

Yes if you are located in Europe. No if you are in USA.

I don't want to be drawn into such a terrible trouble with all customs related issues for overseas shipments. For European affairs, yes, I can do it. It is a piece of cake, don't forget this!

2 hours ago, Downtheline said:

Peter do you think you could do the drawings for this general case set up as well?

I have already done drawings for nozzles of proton accelerators and complete mass spectroscopy machines with radioactive strontimum-90 at http://www.inp.demokritos.gr/

Several years ago.

I guess that this won't be any more difficult...

28 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Well, completely offtopic, but since you opened up the subject, here is what I have been working on while waiting for my custom Apacer memory. 

This is an Extreme, cost no object, version of the Audio Mirror Reflection 45W Set monoblocks with custom transformers, Mundorf Mtube and Mlytic capacitors in the power supply, Z-foil resistors all over, Duelund CAST PIO tinned copper capacitors, exotic wiring, WBT Nextgen connectors, Furutech NCF inlet, etc. The list goes on. I use four of these to bi-amp my high efficient speakers, which have 18'' woofers. I tried Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amps for the woofers thinking that might be the ultimate bass amplification. But those SET monoblocks outperformed the Jeff Rowland by a huge margin in the bass section. It's unbelievable how much more detailed and vibrant bass I got with those. That was one of those shocking and completely unexpected moments. I was so biased towards the Jeff Rowland that it took me quite some time to believe it. But it sounds like this is a small toy compared the stuff you are talking about :). 

Digital, on the other hand, is completely different. You really have to tune your listening differently to identify the small differences in the digital domain. Needless to say, the power supply is the most important component in the digital source. And the power supplies that do miracles for analog gear don't necessarily work that good for digital. A high powered server with not so optimal power supply can sound pretty bad. But once you nail down the power, the magic starts. 

The Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero build mentioned earlier in this thread with the upgraded motherboard ultraOCXO clock sounds amazing. This dual Xeon Asus SAGE will surpass the Asus ROG build but it takes a lot more effort. One is running Euphony, the other one is running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. They are tuned completely different. One sounds better playing music from a NAS. The other does not sound good from NAS and needs local storage. It also takes quite a bit of effort to tweak your network. But when it all clicks, it's magical. 

Perhaps one of the people who are interested here can take case of this? If there is no volunteer, I can do it later this week.

If this is Dirk, that's one of the people I had in mind as well. Haven't talked to him lately, but I believe he would be willing to send you the motherboard. 

Very nice project. So you're a SET guy! At least it seems that we speak the same language 🙂

It seems you became a SET guy after your comparison with JF designs... Hehe, I am a bit older than you 🙂

It seems we're going to be communicating here a bit more frequently...

I know that PS is probably the 80% of sound qualities everywhere. I'm going to build my supplies but now I'm into other things so I have left this project for the future.

Yes, it's Dirk. You know him? Amazing! Send him a message and ask him about me. I don't like talking about myself. You'll have some info...

All the best,

Peter

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Without any intention to conflict your statements, it would be good to know that the choke input solution for designing power supplies is the most simple path you can follow on order to absolutely ruin the sound of your active stage. It may take you one minute, hour, day, year or whatever in order to realize that choke input design is your warranty to sound devastation. 

Thanks for the invitation.

I wrote you, it may take between a moment and a lifetime to realize how bad is choke input for sound quality. I do not want to conflict with you.

The differences I am talking about are relative. Switching between L input and C input, all else being same and equal, leads to straightforward results. I do not want to pressurize you, you do not need to do so.

With kind regards

Peter Avgeris

PS: the web site is under construction, as photoshooting has not been completed yet.