IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify, the end goal has always been sound quality, which is subjective but at least that'll start us with some commonality. 

Everything requires proper implementation. Even with proper implementation sometimes certain components can sound poorly when used in a system that has bad synergy. Which is why this hobby is a complete loop and in order to understand the system better, more specifically YOUR system, you have to change out things one by one while making sure everything is properly burned in so there is no placebo going on. Which is why I envy your persistence for this hobby and enjoy your updates.

Speaking quickly on the RAM. I found that frequency does not play a big of a role than say industrial quality or ECC specified RAM, hence why the 3200MHz consumer sticks I was using too did not sound as good. This also includes the CL timings. The Industrial/Wide Temperature ones have shown good results with those who have tried them whereas ECC is still only a recent matter. It does correct the soft/hard bit errors but you just might not hear it. Or you might hear something different but not necessarily better in this case. It requires either a very sensitive setup, the right headphones, amplifier, DAC, or the right amount of sleep. After all, our eyes and ears work better on different days. To say so conclusively as to what a wise choice would be is that no one should build a system around ECC "enabled" RAM, that I'll agree with you 100%. But the difference is there. Either from ECC or just the quality of the module themselves. You yourself noticed this when they were used without ECC enabled in another system. I'm not fond of taking guesses but my best one would be that ECC/Industrial produced RAM come in even smaller batches than industrial alone ones so perhaps their tolerances are even closer.

For those looking to upgrade their RAM, Industrial ones SHOULD give you an improvement (due to closer voltage tolerances between IC's), but don't fixate too heavily on ECC RAM. In this hobby of wishful thinking even I must admit what I heard in improvements could be from wishful thinking and buyers justification mindset, all forms of placebo. Regardless of which, even in that category, at the end it's all about self satisfaction may it a fairy tale. After all, we're all trying to wake up like The Matrix here and see what the truth really is, hence all the experimentation. On the subject of RAM, currently I have purchased an aluminum heatsink for the four sticks of Apacer I have. I am going to see if cooling them helps in any way. If not, maybe the metal shielding will do something in rejecting EMI/RFI so they can perform better, it's a valid thought right?

What you said on power supplies is true. It's not all about output noise but a collection of things that goes on the topic of implementation yet again. Things such as voltage tolerances, current headroom, output noise, transient response, discrete vs non-discrete, super-capacitors vs without, amount of regulation, Low Pass LC Filters (Pi, Legendry, Chebyshev Pi, Butterworth) vs basic filtering, balanced step down transformers, ferrite/chokes (wrapped around wires), boutique parts (rhodium IEC, GX16 connectors, audiophile wires and capacitors, EMI/RFI absorbing sheets,), proper cooling, and chassis decoupling all play vital roles in how well a power supply performs and which would be more optimal for what circuit. I only list the 10 + 3 = 13 as a way to show that we are back paddling. Audiophiles who are known to use inefficient linear power supplies that are in the single digit uV and now paying little attention to noise level and utilizing higher efficiency but noisy SMPS converters. It's so opposite. There are better options. In general higher current, lower noise, and voltage tolerance are the three main staple. The boutique part is subjective (although I am guilty on leaning here) and the methodology of how the power supply is built affects each line-load differently, not just because their impedance or current draw differs but their preference for power can variate. Like how the input stage of some amplifiers having high impedance, the output impedance of power supplies being low might also not always be a good thing. A transient response that is delayed might be better than a faster one for a particular load. Maybe the load can't appreciate high pulse currents. The list goes on. It all comes back to experimentation but more importantly, know what you are experimenting. For example, Farad uses a Pi filter to create a cutoff frequency to not allow high frequencies (eg. cutoff after 0Hz to not allow noise to pass other than the DC alone) to go through and into the voltage regulator. Because they incorporate this, I have found it to make more of an improvement on digital gear as those gears can appreciate that improved shunting of high frequency noise. Just my 2 cents. Know the inner workings of things so you can experiment in all directions. Don't try the same place twice unless it is somewhat different or if you want to confirm one final time before departing with a set conclusion.

I was unaware that it was easier to make a low phase noise OCXO at 10MHz than it was to make it in 25MHz, thank you. I still believe the phase noise matters but like you say, it only gives us a small window into what it's really capable of (good and bad). Regardless of which clock, the layout still stands that it should have the shortest path possible to where it is being connected to. This can be a tough challenge especially like your photo when finding a properly location to replace the chipset oscillator. I for one am at the other end of you. I've tried a bunch of Crystek and custom measured NDK's with even lower noise before listening to @elan120 and switching over to the sCLK-EX. It was yet still better than everything I had tried and even more so with a masterclock despite a longer run. I hope to meet you half way one day by replacing one or two clocks with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO in the most vital area of the system just to see if there is any difference between the two to justify the purchase of such an expensive OCXO. But it needs to be done to really not look back. I think you feel the same in regards to the SOtM clocks. And don't be shy of your belief. It's been said by Cybershaft and MUTEC that a clock without vibration isolation can increase by a couple +dB. Hence why I prefer having the MUTEC REF 10's OCXO separate from the rest of the system, not mounted on shaky mounting brackets, and on isolation feet's like the IsoAcoustics Gaia III. Also you never know how much light movement the earth makes as it shifts it's tectonic plates and crates a light whiplash on the audio gear or how it's natural 7.83 hertz frequency can affect the SC cut crystal. 

Either way, I firmly believe what you're doing by starting with the best quality OCXO and working up from there is a smart move. I on the other hand populated my whole system with sCLK-EX. I may get the musical benefits now but hearing a clock swap is much more difficult although I will try. It's too late to throw back in old oscillators. You starting from stock and then jumping end game would surely be a dramatic change enough to figure out what location has the biggest perks. I await for your experiments.

Lastly, I have some carbon pipes in many different sizes. If you want to do something with them just let me know the size and I'll cut it down for you and mail it to you. It could be put to good use. Maybe around a wire for shielding purposes and dampening as you say (true). I also have a roll of  tinned copper braid a 1000M roll of mylar aluminum foil in 17mm (I think..). 

87828845_2417241198587384_5457937628215115776_n.png.332ea791e43d2d59c3c845cac1905eb9.png 87835948_202298914181008_7306709895665942528_n.png.c67b594ca9b92bfbfcf9905ab0a8bc73.png 88137874_205322567331218_5692675294796709888_n.png.d8b4d069e264f40979dc220f1b601951.png

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
  • 2 weeks later...

New ATX12VO Spec's

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3518831/how-intels-changing-the-future-of-power-supplies-with-its-atx12vo-spec.amp.html?fbclid=IwAR2iLZt41xB3KZGkXRjt6hVE5oCqqPJrlb9YR58EmUO-Tr-y6Zwk8RrVvdM

If they are placing the 3.3V & 5V's on the motherboard instead of having the rails on the power supply..this means more DC-DC converters. It's going to be tough building an audiophile PC unless that section is bypassed.

٩(●̮̃•)۶ Carbon (NET)  EtherRegen (NET)  Carbyne (USB)  Terminator-Plus (XLR)  β22 (XLR)  Diana TC (ง'-')ง

=  ︿  = 
  • 3 weeks later...