IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

27 minutes ago, basillus said:

Maybe I am wrong, but if I look at your picture at the atx 20-pin connector and you are wiring pin 8,9 and 10, then these have to be at the atx socket nearest the external regulator boards and not in the other end at the atx socket.

OP did say the wiring connections are as follows.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:08 PM, Nenon said:

I connected it this way:

3.3V --> pin 1

5.0V --> pin 4, pin 8, and pin 9

12V --> pin 10

Ground --> pin 3

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

In the meantime I need to do more RAM tests

I am curious whether ECC RAM that you used on Intel i9900K CPU for testing done earlier, is that CPU dependant or Motherboard dependant.  I am also tempted to try the ECC RAMs on my server with a different Motherboard but sibling CPU (i9900KS).

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

The ECC RAM works fine on both Z390 motherboards I have - ASRock and ASUS. It just works as non-ECC RAM. I suspect it would work on many motherboards.

Thank you, that is what I am suspecting.  I will find some time over the weekend and see if I can get them to work in my server.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Am I now finished? simple answer is NO!!, so what's next??

•  I'm currently running an i7 7700T in turbo mode, this processor is not fast enough for running HQplayer with the settings I want to use. I can run in DSD 64 but 128. So I would like to upgrade my Mobo and CPU at some stage, to be honest I am awaiting Nenon new build later in the year running dual Xeon, failing that an i9 9900k 
  •  The above will require a dedicated 12V 10A Linear power supply
  •  OCXO Ultra for MOBO? again awaiting to see how Nenon gets on
  •  Planning replacing my HDPlex case with Turemetal UP10

That case look promising.  Do you have more information about it?

I am also been looking at different possibilities in fanless case for my HQPe server, and this case appears to be able to dissipate the higher power from HQP running EC7/DSD256.

9 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Thank you, I have seen that, but wonder if there are more information available.  I did read one review where they use AMD EPYC 7551 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card, and that is more than 355W of TDP that show a CPU temp of 76C and GPU at 88C, so with their 2.5kg of radiator weight, I think my i9900KS will survive fine.

Btw...as another data point, when running EC7/DSD256 on HQPlayer, i9900KS pulls about 85W and 25W to ATX, where CPU will have an inrush of about 140W during bootup.

12 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

That’s very useful info...any idea or are you able to test running DSD128?

When running EC7/DSD64, i9900KS consumption dropped to about 65W.  I can run EC7/DSD128 later when I get home, but will assume it will likely be between the 85W with EC7/DSD256 and EC7/DSD64 of 65W.

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

My understanding is, Fanlesspro is a distributor for Turemetal based in China, but if there is any specific motherboard and/or CPU planned to use in the build, either discuss with Fanlesspro or send Mical Wong at Turemetal an email, Mical likely can customize the enclosure for the specific requirements.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nenon said:

I completed my tube SET monoblocks a couple of weeks ago. They sound amazing! Even better than they look. The Duelund Cast tinned copper caps are still breaking-in as well as all the Mundorf MTube and MLytic AG capacitors I used but they are 99% there. Add to that, the custom silver wires used throughout, Mundorf silver/gold wire for the power supply, custom transformers, custom chokes, Z-foil resistors, WBT silver connectors, NCF IEC inlets, Grade A Sophia Electric tubes, Grade A Shuguang WE6SN7 PLUS tubes, SR Orange fuses, etc. I used to love my Lundahl output transformers but those beat the shit out of the Lundahls! These monoblocks are something special. They really are a piece of art, and I am very proud of the end result. Sorry for the ugly photo, but that's the best I have at the moment.

Beautiful work indeed and outstanding selection of components.

What would you recommend for power switch and fuse holder?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Downtheline said:

Can't. Wait. To hear what happens with improvements in network, power and OS optimization.

Based on my recent experience, I have a hunch the SQ will take a sizeable step up when the EPS gets fed by a greater quality power supply and quality cables as you continue to upgrade.

Enjoy, there is going to be lots fun ahead...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
39 minutes ago, BCRich said:

Any thoughts?

I had similar setup as yours at one point, same everything except I was using two P8 feeding the HDPlex.  The improvement that I consider is sizeable came when I changed to one SJ power supply feeding directly to the EPS 8 pin input and later another notch forward when another SJ power supply feeding the 24 pin ATX input.  At this point, I don't feel the need to feed both EPS inputs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

into a Holo May? ive read some folks had issues getting jcat xe to run 1.536mhz specifically with May. maybe its resolved now, not sure

No, I have no experience with May, the DAC used is a Terminator, and that has no issue accepting 1.536MHz of PCM input signal.