IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

I did similar back of the envelope math before I purchased my Extreme. Of course, DIY allows you to calibrate how far you travel into the crazy pit, and to spread the pain over some period of time.  With Extreme, you are all in and liberated from decision making, but definitely at a price.  If you're willing and able to go all in, I think there is tremendous value in the Extreme (much more on that next week...).  I also tremendously appreciate the amazing work and insights folks are sharing here...there is so much to learn and to figure out!

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Roon works as long as endpoint(s) and server are in the same VLAN (or subnet in a non VLAN’ed network). Control devices can be in a different VLAN but one has to manually enter the server’s IP address once in the Roon app.

@Dutch can you please speak more about this?  I'm experimenting with this currently (my Roon server on 192.168.4.x, my laptop and the rest of my home network on 192.168.3.x).  I ended up having to setup port forwarding for UDP 9003 to see the Roon server from my home network, and TCP 9100-9200 to actually be able to connect to it.

Looking at the Roon config screens, I'm not seeing anywhere obvious where one can manually enter a server's IP address?

I have not looked to setting up routing between networks (I have an EdgeRouter X).  I have a similar goal is to isolate the Roon server as much as possible from other network traffic

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'll get a nice Class D with switching supply and have that remind me what I don't pay attention to amps any more ;)  If I waver, I need you guys (as my sponsors) to call me out and help me hold the line...

That being said, I would be delighted to foster any SETs that are looking for a home during these troubled times ;)

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Nenon said:

One of these DIY computers would cost you anywhere from $4,500 to over $12,000. Here is a breakdown:

Fantastic Nenon!  I did similar back of the envelope math earlier this year, then added in a fudge factor because while I knew I would eventually get to the more premium end of the spectrum, I also knew I would feel compelled to travel the intermediate steps to get there.  That's how I got to spitting distance of jumping on the Extreme train and skipping the intermediate 5 steps.  It's amazing how much power (and to a lesser extent clock) dominates the calculus.  We're basically building power supplies and clock generators with some electronics and storage attached.

I continue to have a nagging tingle from my spidey sense that Emile's "mother of all capacitor banks" for filtering will have a LOT more running room on the power side of the equation than the incredible supplies from Sean and Paul et al.  If one were to have (theoretically) perfect filtering capacity with an arbitrarily large and fast filter bank, your options on the power side of the bank REALLY open up (who cares if you have a noisy supply if the filter bank takes care of business?).  From a DIY perspective, Sean certainly leans heavy into crazy large filters, but even he is an order of magnitude off what Emile is doing.  Has anyone seen another power supply maker take a similar strategy?

The other wrinkle is Emile sharing that high quality clocks actually take away SQ in the Extreme (although he is understandably proprietary about his clock strategy).  He is definitely taking the road less traveled when it comes to power supplies and clocking.  

That being said, that many rails of Sean Jacobs DC4 rails would be something to behold!  I only have one Sean Jacobs supply (DC3'ish) but it was custom built/configured for my DAC, so I haven't had the opportunity to hear this bespoke supplies further back up the digital chain.  Alas, I suspect that by the time my SR7 custom build gets here, we will have all moved on to Mr. Fusion power supplies ;)

34 minutes ago, Nenon said:

And clocks work hand in hand with vibration treatment and power supplies.

A thousand times this!  When we finally unravel all the secret sauce, I suspect a huge part of it will stem from conceptualizing all of these as aspects of a single component in the design.  

I keep relearning basic metrology - what you measure/observe is only as good as the integrity of your weakest reference.  Especially for digital systems, perfect reference power and timing, and a lot of "problems" just go away!

And since we're sharing untold stories, somewhere in the garage I "unofficially" have a memory board from a Cray 1S. As a whipper snapper engineer, I learned so much from studying that board (and for programming for the Cray).  The entire board design was about clock and power distribution, with a twist of cooling mixed in to keep it from (literally) melting. Complete brute force design, like a lot of Cray designs back in the day, but overwhelming brute force focused like a laser on the key things that mattered most.  I was thinking a lot about that board as I studied Emile's design.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Nenon said:

I wish we could all have a well burned-in Taiko Extreme server and a top class DAC in our systems for a few days just to hear what's possible with digital and decide for ourselves if it's worth to take that journey.

Outstanding post @Nenon.  I wish above were true as well.  There are rewards in the journey, but the journey is much easier to tolerate (and motivate) when you have a sense of whether the rewards are worth it for you.  

Each of our brains may hear the same things, but how we respond to these things is VASTLY different.  At this level of investment and refinement and nuance, indeed it is different courses for different horses.  Best you can do is hear a potential end game, then decide if it is a game you want to be playing.

For example, listening to my current chain with local content (network disconnected) vs network content is so danger close that it has definitely soothed my FOMO when I read of all the exciting things folks are doing with switches and their network chain.  Yes there is a difference, but not enough to motivate insane focus vs other things that have my attention right now.  I will get back to that lever, but I am delighted to be pressing other "happy" buttons right now.

Looking forward to post Covid times to open up for listening parties again...as much as I appreciate forums and shared experiences here, I miss sharing this journey with others in the room hearing and reacting to things at the same time.

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, OAudio said:

Hours and hours of fun working through all this

But SO satisfying then it all clicks, you look at the diagram, and you know exactly where to make tweaks (and then they work!)

(and spot on insights, thank you @OAudio!)

• 5 weeks later...

I would love to hear it, but I suspect 8fs input may be the achilles heel of this DAC.  That puts a fundamental limiting on transient timing accuracy, unless they have a MASSIVE amount of compute to push to higher rates with idealized filters.

The power, construction and clock all look first rate.  I'm skeptical about the synthetic feedback scheme and what that does for noise shaping, but they may inject it prior to noise shaping?

Lots to learn!

To add to that Ted, TAS allows you to choose your playback engine: the proprietary Taiko one or HQP (in case you want upsampling), similar to what you have with Roon. TAS is tuned and optimized to how Taiko has provisioned and configured the Extreme (and soon, their Evo server).  I'm running the TAS alpha, and using HQP+NAA for the playback engine, so I can take advantage of upsampling for streaming content.

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

I think you read a bit more than what was written in that post.

Emile did not refer to fixing corrupt files. Whether the file is stored on a NAS, locally, or on a USB drive, or somewhere else, it would still be exactly the same file with the same md5 hash for example, but it sounds different. 

He is not saying that Taiko has found an algorithm to fix corrupt files. What he is saying is that they are into something with the TAS software that makes the difference of playing the same file from different locations vanish. 

From my experience using the alpha release of TAS, above is spot on.  Very clever and very thoughtful implementation, with meticulous and systematic attention to every detail.  Emile and team are bringing the same focus to software as they do to hardware and system configuration.  

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

Are you OK to put it up against the OPTIMO 3 DUO? 

FWIW, when I wanted to do a review of the DC4, I approached Sean Jacobs and Sean was very supportive. Perhaps suggest to Jay that he do the same?

Nenon was kind enough to build the demo unit, based on Sean's request, but the DC4 is Sean's product.

1 minute ago, Marcin_gps said:

Regardless of the outcome, I’m looking forward to the shoutout.

Me as well.  Very much looking forward to reading Jay's review of the Optimo 3 Duo, and definite icing on the cake to read how he thinks it compares to the DC4

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...