IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

46 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Just a quick update:

I swapped the positions of the etherREGEN and my modified Buffalo switch. Now my server is connected directly to the Buffalo like this:

Arris SB8200 modem --(copper)--> Ubiquiti Router --(copper)--> Buffalo switch --> etherRegen (fiber with Fintech transceivers)--> Buffalo switch--(copper)--> server

That turned out to be a shocking improvement! I expected a small difference that makes me do many A/B comparisons until I decide if I like one better than the other. Not at all. 

I just picked a random Qobuz track for the test. It just happened to be this one:
artist: The Ray Brown All Stars

track: You Don't Know Me
album: Don't Forget The Blues

But I also listened to different styles music after that to make sure it's not just that track that sounded better :)

It took about 5 seconds from the track to hear how much better the new combination was. By the 14th second I was convinced what I heard the first 5 seconds was true. After 30 seconds there was no doubts at all. We've all been there, and you probably know what I am talking about. Towards the end of the track I knew I had a new reference! Obviously I went back forth 5 or 6 times to double/triple/quadruple/quintuple check and never doubted even for a second which one was better. Never heard Qobuz sound so good! Going back to do some more critical listening now... 

Is the EtherREGEN re-clocked?  Were both of the Buffalos re-clocked, or was it just one?  If just one Buffalo, which one in the series was the re-clocked one?

Both your experiments and your reports of the associated SQ benefits are a real inspiration.  Thank you!

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try both 12V and 5V and find that 12V sounded better, or just go with 5V and stick with it?

Which OXCO are you planning to use?

1 hour ago, cool_chris said:

I must say I followed Nenon recommendation with the use of Buffalo BSGS 2016.

With his kind help I was able to get 2 of them. I dont think they are still available. All sold out.

I powered them with Vinnie Rossi great „mini” supercapacitor supplys rated 5v / 3A only !

Many powered them with 12v , but I recommend 5 v with 3A or more.

I think I can already say It is by far the bigest SQ gain I have ever experienced .

I wanted to thank Nenon for discovering soch a great improvements for us, testing many options and sharing results with all of us.
I see that Hols confirmed it already few posts above , so do I. 

My next step will be to improve both clocks with the use of OXCO as Nenon and Hols already did with great result.

Will report my experience .

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

Tried both . 12 v is more precise and focused but adds little more upper fequencies that is aready to much in my system.
5v is just a little less focused but it has an excellent musicality , flow and easyness in the presentation.

I think the take home message is try all voltages from 5 v to 12v and pick the one that fits your system / ears best !

Hols sounds to be very happy with his local OCXO upgrade shop, Nenon did install PinkFaun ultra OCXO himself and is enthusiastic about that, but it is by far the most expensive one ( it might be the best but that needs to be confirmed by testing )

I am considering few options . Educating myself with different clock manufacturers and will report effects here.

I tried four PP modified zyxel swiches before and they were quite good, got Ether Regen that also was very good , added Ubiquiti xrouter that acts as a switch only, but only the last change with modified Buffalows elevated my system so many levels up.

The use of Buffalo BSGS 2016 / or Melco S100 / recommended by Nenon , Romaz, Hols and few others is probably one of the very best upgrates one can do to the audio system this time .

Tried both . 12 v is more precise and focused but adds little more upper fequencies that is aready to much in my system.
5v is just a little less focused but it has an excellent musicality , flow and easyness in the presentation.

I think the take home message is try all voltages from 5 v to 12v and pick the one that fits your system / ears best !

Hols sounds to be very happy with his local OCXO upgrade shop, Nenon did install PinkFaun ultra OCXO himself and is enthusiastic about that, but it is by far the most expensive one ( it might be the best but that needs to be confirmed by testing )

I am considering few options . Educating myself with different clock manufacturers and will report effects here.

I tried four PP modified zyxel swiches before and they were quite good, got Ether Regen that also was very good , added Ubiquiti xrouter that acts as a switch only, but only the last change with modified Buffalows elevated my system so many levels up.

The use of Buffalo BSGS 2016 / or Melco S100 / recommended by Nenon , Romaz, Hols and few others is probably one of the very best upgrates one can do to the audio system this time .

Thanks for your reply.  I’m looking forward  to following your progress.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, cool_chris said:

I agree 100%

I tested after Nenon recommended stacking 4 Buffalo and adding Pink Faun clocks.

I started with 1 switch , than 2 , 3 and ,4 

And as you expect it was much better each time.

Than adding 2 Pink Faun Ultra clocks to my 2 switches .

1 brings it to the unexpected word of amazing 👏 

Than second amplifies that .

So at the end I tested if I can take any of the Buffalows and sell them.

NO it is impossible.  Each time the loss in SQ is so strong I cant take anybof the 4 switches away.

I added 5th switch that is Ether Regen as the first from the modem.

And Yes it adds great taste to the SQ 👍 

I use 5 switches now.

Planning to add one more ......

Best

K

Are you saying that you have 4 PF Buffalos in series, or 2 PF Buffalos and 2 non-PF Buffalos in series.

Best,

Wayne

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Nenon said:

It can do 40A continuously on the 12V rail if that's of any use to you.

And it's 99% efficient. Depending on the input voltage and the load, it can get up to 99.3% efficiency. In fact the most inefficient component I have in the prototype is the transformer. 

Superb! Can't wait to hear one!

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, rico25 said:

Hi Sakso,

My opinion would be to sell your streamer  "as is" because it is good for USB  dac

and buy a used one with AMD (from Longinc in the classified), where you will be able to put a PinkFaun Spdif bridge with Euphony and add the Taiko dc-atx :)

I have to tell you that the Gaia D2D with a Revelation Audio I2S cable is truely a match made in heaven.  I am using it with a z390 phantom mb, passively cooled i9 9900k, with plenty of Apacer select industrial ram , JCAT net Xe, and a Nenon’s recommended unregulated power supply Takio DC regulator board combination.   The SQ is so many leagues above anything I have ever heard anywhere before that I wouldn’t believe it if I wasn’t hearing it for myself.  My mind is bogged to try and imagine how Nenon’s  and Austinpop’s assurances that there is even better SQ to be had with the Takio Extreme🤪🤯.

I would suggest that you get a Takio DC regulator board for your existing server, add a Gaia with Revelation Audio cable, and happily enjoy the bliss.  

As for me, my plan is to continue collecting the parts to build Nenon’s Takio DIY server as it comes to fruition, to be my endgame server, and to which I will be transferring the JCAT net XE card and Takio DC regulator board.  Of course, if I were to win the lottery, I would simply buy a Takio Extreme server as a complete turn key solution 🤞.

46 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

Hi,

Are you using jcat usb xe also?

The audio gd he20 was comparedto su1( wich i have now),to matrix,su2 and su6 ad blew them all.no idea of gaia.

For coax nenon is highly recommnding high fidelity ct2

For me, the SU-6 with its OCXO and built in ultracacap LPS was a much better way to go than the SU-2 modified to use an external LPS.  When I later upgraded the SU-6 with all AudioNote Kaisei caps it improved its SQ considerably.

However, the Gaia with Revelation Audio I2S is in an entirely different league all together.   My Terminator Plus is quite good without the Gaia and Revelation Audio I2S, but with it, the SQ is so much more realistic and immersive that I could never go back to just the Terminator Plus alone.

Check out the design and construction of Gaia on the Vinshine Audio for details of its OCXO, usb discrete input circuitry (as opposed to the XMOS processor chip used in the Singxer products), and it’s high end power supply.  Like the Terminator Plus, it punches way above its price point. 

1 hour ago, sakso136 said:

Ok,ill check the gaia.

The su1 i have is moded by ghent audio to be used with external ps.

I m using it with ultracap 1.5 lps sonore dc cable.

On the other thread here regarding the audio gd many said it is also on a total different league than the singxer.

Unless I’m mistaken, the su1 uses a 1st gen XMOS chip that has long been discontinued, the su2 uses a 2nd gen chip (with about twice the processing power), and both of them need modification to enable the use of an external LPS to really shine.  The su6 uses the latest generation XMOS, has other circuitry enhancements, and  has a built in supercapacitor LPS.

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Noratel were supposed to be shipped over sea (takes about 6 weeks) last week. I could not wait any longer and ordered some transformers from Toroidy, and they are stuck in Fedex Germany for nearly two weeks :(. Not the best times for impatient audiophiles like us.

Is the Toroidy that you ordered expected to be sonically the equivalent of the Noratel?  If so, would you please provide the Toroidy ordering information?  (I have never ordered from them before.)

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Beautifully executed build!  

What is the part number for the second Mundorf capacitor you used?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Cool. So you were able to fit two of the larger chokes in the Taiko chassis? 

Edit: missed your previous post. Thank you.

I currently have the Taiko rectifier board mounted horizontally on the floor of the Taiko DIY chassis, but I expect that moving it to a vertical mounting on the transformer box wall will make sufficient room for two of the larger chokes.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nenon said:

Everything went into place in my case. I guess I was reading the instructions upside down. 😅🤦‍♂️😂

Mine was one of the early cases that required an additional copper plate from Taiko to mount the Taiko DC - DC ATX card.  Taiko sent it out immediately, it (and everything else) fit perfectly.

Being able to mount the entire power supply in the same chassis as the motherboard is definitely the way to go for best SQ.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AngeloVRA said:

Hi @Gavin1977

The DC power IN cable connector for the SCLK EX is a Molex  0050375023 with crimp terminals 0008701039

You can use the PCIE output on the Taiko ATX. That is 8 pins, 4 pairs of 12v and Ground. 9F0F50C0-1239-4208-9FE8-EC6830143D53.jpeg.abeef1aa5d03d664eb13de313f71961b.jpeg

I power my SCLK-EX with an external 12V PH DR7T. I use the PCIE output of Taiko ATX for the internal SATA power cable for the SNI-1G which is required even when externally powering it. 

923FB824-C952-4D45-A2AB-252F79C644F2.thumb.jpeg.9db6ca46ff7460e553e1867b09df58df.jpeg

Hope that helps

Angelo

Beautiful build!

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

I see what you were saying about relocating, the Rectifier and the ATX will free up a huge amount of space. (thanks for the picture.)

If we add the shielding the rest of the way around the motherboard, like they do in the actual Taiko chassis, that will give us opportunities/space to mount the ATX and the rectifier.

do you think we need to worry about EMI from the chokes? I would think yes because the coils must throw some kind of magnetic field. aren’t we supposed to mount them perpendicular to each other so the fields do not interact?

Yes, I do plan to mount the chokes at right angles to each other, most likely in in front left corner, and I may box them out with walls of my-metal.

I too have found that Mundorf Angelique wire sounds quite good for power supply wiring.  To get the lowest total contact resistance, I look to run a separate wire to each pin of the each receptacle.  I get the Angelique wire without insulation and then use silk sheathing, and then apply a heat shrink tubing outer layer to protect the silk sheathing.

For the JCAT USB XE card and the Taiko network card, I plan to use Mundorf SG alloy wire.

• 2 months later...

Yes

Sorry for not being more clear in my previous response. Yes, you will need 2 EPS cables