IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 4/16/2021 at 12:10 AM, Topk said:

OK, talking about DYI, this is next level OCD: have we ever talked about mechanical stress? I thought this video below is interesting, how the circuit board should resonate and how to prevent stress on the board (and a must see if you have a Denafrips DAC).

This is the (very surprisingly) audible result of this mechanical tuning. Hear for yourself.

This is also a finding from Naim audio - their circuit board are mounted on springs so that they can resonate since Naim found it sounds best, and connectors are mounted loose on purpose - there’s a good YouTube video on this - around 10 min:

So when you put together your audio PC, maybe don’t screw too tight? Use proper dampening, isolation feet etc.

Interesting!  From what I understand there are 2 different ways to reduce vibration in equipment and cables: coupling and decoupling. I have had better results with coupling. I use the Darkz from Ansuz (they call this mechanical grounding). They also use the same principle in the housing of their (upper tier) power strip. 

Unfortunately, the latter are not freely available in the market, although I doubt whether they would be suitable for mounting a motherboard since the mounting height is standardized. But perhaps results can be achieved by simply untightening the screws of the mobo, usb and nic. Worth trying. 

Screenshot_20210425-130845~2.png