IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I suspect neither company designed it. They’ll be buying from a supplier & rebranding it. 

That's correct.  It is from Asia.  Not "bespoke" at all. Lots of similar products from Asia.

Yes, it is filled with cheap voltage regs and cheap clock.  

Also, the choice of using [multi-mode] single-fiber (Simplex) is odd as it adds a lot of circuitry to handle the multiple frequencies on the transceiver so that bi-directional signaling can take place.

Here is one that uses single-mode fiber:

https://www.transwan.com.cn/products/usb-3-0-2-0-1-1-over-fiber-extender-to-max-250-meters-mm-fiber-or-sm-fiber-with-10-gbps-sfp-module-supports-5-gbps-speed-backward-compatible-with-usb-2-0-1-1

And you can--via the drop-down, near Quantity, above AddToCart--that it to can be ordered for use with either single LC fiber or dual LC fiber.  Single really needed only if you are going to run miles and need to save cost of fiber. The transceivers are not as ideal for our purposes.

10 minutes ago, oneguy said:

…I probably never would have sprung for the Mercury but I think I’ll be happy I did. 

I am certain you will be VERY happy with it.  Packs in a lot of intelligent design and fine parts choices for a curiously low price. My only concern is how Micheal Kelly is going to profit and keep up with support at that price. 

2 hours ago, di-fi said:

'' HDMI cable (wow those cables can sound really different!)''

Do you mind sharing what is/are a keeper(s), in your setup between SingXer and Holo Spring Level 3?

The only two HDMI cables that I have spent a fair amount of time with as I2S links are the Wireworld Chroma 7 (12-inch) and the Pangea Audio HD23PC Premium (0.6 meter).  Very different construction between the two.  I had been using the Wireworld for 2-3 years--and had the Pangea (highly recommended to me by someone here on the forum) in the box for about that long.  As mentioned, I've recently had more time to play around and tweak (and other things I've done to my system lately have made it ever more sensitive and responsive), so I finally put in the Pangea.  At first its forwardness (in comparison to the Chroma 7) was almost overwhelming. Very tactile and dimensional. I went back and forth a few times to be sure it was not a bad thing. Now, with some time (break-in or just my ears getting used to it and discovering all the details) I am fully convinced it is the more revealing cable.  Go figure.

[And of course such talk of HDMI cables--and all this other stuff with software, clocks, power supplies, etc.--would give all the measurement/"objectivist" people massive fits. But if someone was here with me in my room right now, listening to favorite Nina Simone, Peter Case, or Peter Gabriel albums (oh the bass!), there would be nothing but grins.]

:D

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

In many implementations I2S cables ahave a length limitation, don't you think that the difference in length (12"is what 33cm or so?) versus 50 cm had a part in any sonic differences?

I believe it.  Yet:

a) I2S over HDMI is driven by an LVDS driver chip, so I think the impact of length will somewhat depend on that part--as well as the LVDS receiver chip at the DAC;

b) In my--extremely limited--experiment, the Wireworld Chroma 7 was the short (12") cable yet the 24" Pangea is my clear preference.  Unfortunately the Pangea Premier SE is not available in any shorter length.

BTW, I a open to suggestions of other HDMI cables to try for the I2S link from DDC to DAC as it is clear the Holo Spring is quite sensitive to that link. Suggestion only of cables heard first-hand ear please.  :)

11 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I have experimented with an LVDS to HDMI convertor...

Not clear what sort of device you are referring to.  I2S over HDMI is by definition an LVDS signal, produced by an LVDS driver chip at the sending end of a DDC. [Edit: I do notice that Pink Faun is unique in optionally delivering TTL I2S on an HDMI cable--but compatibility with other devices will be limited if chosen.]

4 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

talk w Cees Ruitenberg from Metrum and Sonnet about I2S and he'll tell you LVDS is no good. I tend to believe him in favoring LVCMOS as it for sure is much less affected by cable length although I lack the detailed insight in the electronics behind either implementation and finding out all key parameters via trial and error is challenging.

I am not one to question Mr. Ruitenberg but perhaps you misunderstood his reasons for preferring CMOS/TTL to LVDS for I2S.  Differential signaling is far less susceptible to common-mode noise and EMI and will do better over length than a single-ended CMOS or TTL signal.

Perhaps Cees simply does not like the available LVDS driver and receiver chips. Such would be a more plausible explanation for his preference for I2S on single-ended wiring with RJ45 plugs.  But for those you really do want to keep cables short.

29 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Multiplying a clock signal is not what you want if you go to the length of investing in a Mutec, most/many I2S signals do not carry the master clock as far as I'm aware.

An audio sample-rate-related clock is absolutely part of the I2S signal protocol!  

As to what each DAC does with the data and clock coming in I2S, that varies greatly from DAC to DAC. Some DACs will asynchronously reclock to some other, non-multiple rate; some will just double, and some will directly use the data with the incoming clock.

What is only VERY rarely done--but in fact would be much better--is when the DAC's master clock is fed back upstream to the I2S source to be used as the master clock.  Only a very few DACs do that.  Would have been great to have that as part of the standard for external I2S.  (But of course there is no "standard" for external I2S.). 

Most of the better USB>I2S input boards (or simply USB inputs that DAC designers implement on the main board) allow for DAC master clock to be fed into the USB MAC processor chip for I2S. This is why, if all elements (isolation, power, clocking, etc.) were done exceedingly well, a DAC's USB input could easily result in better SQ than an externally delivered I2S, regardless of it being LVDS or LVCMOS.

8 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

ask Pink Faun? They do custom jobs...I see one minor issue and that is the frequency of the OCXO in the I2S bridge, it is using 24.xyz Mhz. and most external clocks (as far as I am aware of them) do not provide that exact frequency.

Well there are plenty of external reference clocks that deliver audio sample-rate-related frequencies (Esoteric, Antelope, dCS, some AfterDark models, etc.).

What does puzzle me is that the Pink Faun I2S Bridge boards seem to have only a 24.576MHz clock--which covers sample rates in the 48KHz family (48/96/192, etc.), with no 22.5792MHz clock to deliver in the 44.1KHz rate family (44.1/88.2/176.4, etc).  And I doubt they are doing any non-integer clock dividing to obtain a clock for the 44.1KHz family. Can't imagine that the board is limited to outputting in the 48KHz family. 

41 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

How Pink Faun makes do with that frequency clock is a mystery to me, all I know is that they use the HDA CMedia 888 chip that requires 24.576Mhz to work,

Ah yes, the all-in-one Cmedia CM8888 uses an internal PLL to synthesize all output clocks. With that chip’s wide capability—much of it aimed at pro-sound I/O applications, I am guessing Cmedia chose 24.576MHz as input clock frequency simply because, for pro-sound use 48KHz-family rates are more popular, and for that family the PLL can simply integer multiply the clock. Hopefully the PLL does not add too much phase-noise/jitter to the reference clock when producing I2S for Redbook rates.

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

Now we're on the topic of clocks, I happen to have a OCXO @ 24.576 Mhz lying around that I can sell, OR....see if I can put it to use on the Aorus Master X570 Mb I'm using, big problem is...how do I find out what freq the Mb clock has? Anyone here who knows a place to start looking?

I can 100% guarantee you that your computer motherboard does not use anywhere a 24.576MHz clock. That is an audio sample-rate-related frequency.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is what my friend uses to deliver heavy speakers. It’s really cool. 

https://youtu.be/iKk5t3EEksA

Just watched that whole video. Wow!  Any idea of price?  When I think about all the big heavy items that get moved onto the upper floors of luxury homes it makes me wonder about how such could be done before such ingenious devices existed...9_9 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...