IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

General question about Samsung M.2 drives for those who might have information about the difference between the 970 EVO (MLC NAND) and 970 EVO+ (V-NAND). Is it the speed, reliability, lifetime, or...?  Thanks!

I have an i9-9900KS arriving early next week.  I’ll be using the ROG RTX2080 that’s in my current build.  I’ll be hitting the closest Micro Center to fill out my parts list soon.

1 hour ago, vhs said:

reducing the voltage from 1.8V to 1.2V

Thanks for the info!  I had seen that the read/write was faster on +, but had read elsewhere that they were using 2 different layer structures - but not according to this chart.  Your red highlight is an important point I did not know!  Thanks again!

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Why not 970 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD?

I’ve been using the PRO SSDs but the M.2 PRO is just a bigger $ jump than the SSDs were.  The M.2 EVO+ is listed to be faster, but I wonder about the longevity.   

The mobo I’m considering has a M.2 heatsink and I’m not going fanless.  How is everyone’s M.2 temperature doing?  Anybody need/have an add-on cooler?

@elan120  Not ready to piece together LPS for everything so will stick with a Seasonic Titanium 850W or 1000W as it may get another PCI-e card eventually.  With the highest efficiency for those at ~50% load this should be good.   Will use a Noctua CPU cooler this time instead of liquid cooling.   The case I’m looking at (HTPC type) won’t fit the radiator.  It will have 3 - 120mm filtered fans for positive pressure and there is room for another if needed.