IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

@Topk thanks for the info.

I just want to add that I begun my interest in PC audio 10y ago, playing that time with Audiophileo, Sonicweld Diverter, good USB cables etc. Finally, I was able to dig deep into music presentation and unleash all the details, but the sound was never "musical" or should I say - free of issues caused by poor clock/power/vibration performance.

User experience was even worse (one PC as source, second as server, playing music files using command line (WTF!?).

I moved to CD players and started to build a CD collection, I had flagship Ayon, Sony DAS-R1A with dedicated transport, CEC-TL2 and few others. Not SOTA, but I would say quite high end products.

Month ago a friend of mine visited me with his simple DIY server with Pink Faun USB OCXO card. Next day I sold my CD setup and week after I sold all CD collection.

While I was disappointed 10y ago with the performance of file music playback, now even TIDAL with Roon sounds better than the CD players I had contact with. Nice to be back and I am glad that this pc audio path developed in such a positive way.

All the best to you all.

41 minutes ago, Topk said:

Same experience here. There’s a constant battle for me against a cold and sterile sound. Any component that brings any of this, I do not include in my chain. And I didn’t want to say that publicly yet... but let’s say for now that I also use Pink Faun and I find it musical. But that’s only one piece of the puzzle. Again, personal taste, system synergy etc. I have Harbeth speakers so that says already quite a lot about my type of sound.

I also listen on Harbeth although mine are tuned to sound slightly as studio monitor

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Are there any users here that changed regular chipset oscillator / quartz on computer motherboard for Crystek or similar quality clock?

I changed LAN clock twice and worked like a charm, but I am unable to successfully replace clock on the Asus motherboard chipset. Both times I tried computer does not boot and nothing I tried (bios reset, different points of clock signal injection) helps.

what are other users experience?

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Nenon said:

@prinz I just found my old post from over an year ago:

I think I agree with that description :). 

BTW, the reason you don't see a capacitor mentioned here is because there is one on the Taiko rectifier PCB board. 

OK. I understand.

In my build I skip the fuse and soft start, but it's true if you want to stay on the super safe side it's better to keep them.

I will never say that my point of view is the absolute best, I play with audio for years and faced hundreds of times that what works for one, doesnt have to work for others. It's normal :)

Luckliy for us all, we have a nice playground for tests. I want to share what worked for me.

My PSU does not sound lean, actually If it would - I would throw it away quickly :). I love full, massive, full bodied, colorfull sound.

I didnt used these mosfet bridge and have no idea how they work, but generally speaking I could face slower sound due to the fact that schottky bridge which I use is very smooth sounding, but it is not the fastest one, which means it could be difficult for the bridge to "charge" 200kuf of capacitance. Who knows.

on the other hand, what is slow for me can be lightning fast for others and opposite.

Last thing I want to check is if replacing Mlytic with Kemet ALS70 will bring the improvement for me. I am awaiting delivery.

11 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I hear what you are saying, listening tests are important, and more so than what the simulation shows!

At some point I want to hear what a tube rectifier PSU does with the Taiko ATX...I only am beginning to play around with the PSU yet it clearly has quite an impact where it should not have on a CPU ;-)

tube rectifier PSU for high A current?

Can you please share more details about the design?

I ask as regular tubes in full wave rectifier mode can offer 300mA of constant current. If you use four tubes in greatz mode you can get around 1-1.5A max, but for PC audio use you probably need 5A minimum.

49 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

Do you mike the circle lab better than phaeton????

They are different in presentation. Phaethon is delicate, subtle, it is voiced to be very high resolution oriented, but lacks body, warmth and power. I still liked Phaethon more than shitty Air Tight ATM-211 tube monos I had before, but if we speak about Circle Labs - for me - they are simply amazing.

Speaker drive ability which I never experienced before, combined with warmth, body, constant foot tapping :), energy, high resolution.

All I can dream off.  Imagine yourself a really great sounding tube amp with almost unlimited power, zero distortion and without the need to replace tubes.

wholeheartedly recomended.

I dont want to make more offtopic, so If you have other questions please send me PM

11 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Tell us more - how do the two differ in subjective listening?

Its diffucult to compare as overall the tests were done 6y ago , in speaker crossover in woofer section.

To make long story short - low frequecies were strong, punchy, amazing dynamic, precise, with great control of the speaker. This is typical behaviour of high quality thick solid core wire (and such one is used in mundorf).

Unfortunately woofer was also influencing midgrade heavily and here we need the coil to offer colorful, rich, warm, high resololution sound.

At the end we used 8AWG Jantzen Wax speaker coil for woofer instead of Mundorf, as we prefered rich sound in the midrange and good (but not perfect) bass.

As said, these tests were done in speaker, not in audio PC PSU :), also, remember that for PSU you need very low DCR (low resistance). 0,3R is the maximum which I would use in PSU If someone would force me to use choke.