IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 4 weeks later...

Many will  also ask what about the 1 v 2 Nenon + Pink Faun moded 2016 Buffalows?

Unfortunate adding the second N+PF moded Buffalo brings additional benefits , but I am sure most of you will be more than happy to start with 1 switch with addition of the Pink Faun Ultra clock.

This will be a true game changer.

Nenon said it is like listening the garage band v professional group playin on satge.

I must agree with that , it is that profund difference. 

Nice report @cool_chris! I was waiting to see your jaw dropping after the clock upgrade :). Those are the best moments of our hobby!

Actually it did. Could not find it for few hours😁

I was not expecting that much difference. 

Thank you ! I wouldn't be here so happy without your help and knowledge. 

I have Ubiquity edgerouter and Ether Regen that I was feeding it with Mutec 10 mhz master . It was nice upgrade adding Ref10 but Pink Faun Clock upgrade is like 10 x delta you might get from the Mutec / ER combo.

I think this is due to the distance that you and Jord offer during upgrade.  It is only about 2 cm from the clock exit to the board versus 100 cm with ref10.

The shorter this distance the better !

Also there is no PLL loop that is mandatory with ref 10 feeding . That destroyes already great ref10 values.

The best solution is to have a clock right there when needed with correct frequency. 

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

👍 That would indeed be the ultimate switch. Then may I suggest you wait for @tgb to see if his solution to the 1V problem works, because it is probably the easiest. ( MPAudio transformer and 1V/ 5A regulator) My solution is a 1V/5A lt3045 regulator and in front of that an other 1.8 V higher power regulator with a reasonable heatsink. Then have a 1A ldovr regulator for the 1.5 and the 3.3V or an other MPAudio dual 2.5A regulator for the 1.5 and 3.3V and feed it all with a 5V 5A power supply with a big heatsink. 
Heat dissipation is a problem if you go all linear. The second best option would be to leave the 1V alone and power the switch with 12V and only do the 1.5V and 3.3V with linear regulators, much easier and no heat problem!

This is funny , because I am at the position when it sounds so amazing I have no intetest of changing anything. 

Just like Nenon.

Extreme benefits from 4 Buffalo switches .

2 are with amazing Pink Faun clocks.

Half more day since 2st post and it is still improving!

This is the most important addition to any system.

• 3 weeks later...

Nenon is correct.

I got 4 Buffalo switches but sent 2 for the clock upgrade to Jord at Pink Faun.

He did fantastic work as you see on the pictures I submitted few pages ago.

Spering the money now to get other 2 upgrated. I need to have all 4 Buffalows  with Pink Faun clocks. Those are fantastic switches.

I wish you could hear the difference on my system. Night and day difference. 

There is no way to take any of the 4 Buffalows away or to get the 5th switch (Ether Regen) out of the chain.

I am glad Nenon confirmed the Telegartner M12 being excellent as a musical and sweetness adding solution. 

I wish I could afford to get one and install in my chain as the 6th switch.

For now I Prefer to keep Buffalows with PinkFaun clocks if they give 60 % of performance related to 40% of M12 performance ( Nenon rating).

So as far as I understand it correct

you get little more SQ for much less money.

Thank you Nenon !

Best

Chris

For the 2 Buffalows with Pink Faun clocks I am using for EACH switch :

Uptone lps1 - 7v out, followed by double regulated mpaudio SLS-Hpuln with 10x  LT 3045  for the clocks.

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supplys with 3A and 5v out to the boards .

For 2 other Buffalows I use

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supplys with 3A + 5V and

Vinnie Rossi mini supercap supply with 3A + 12 v .

I know it sounds crazy but planning to update this with Sean Jolacobs DC4 multirail. Just need little more time to collect the funds for that.

You cant go wrong with top supplys.

Best

Chris

2 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Chris,

In my system I use Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref ethernet and USB cables. They are delivered with 2 ‘bullets’ which are exchangeable....the one bullet enhances the cable’s detail and spacial resolution, while the second bullet is more orientated around fullness and warmth, so with more than 1 cable you can fine tune exactly the balance between warmth, air and spacial resolution. 

Yes. You can do a lot with USB cables.

But I tested 25 different cables, solutions , cleaners , blockers , fibre and many more and got to the conclusion that they all work well, some very well, however only if your system is "mid class" 

If you have top system with perfected everything than removing all of the USB solutions gets you to the over the top sound quality. 

I liked very much the fibre usb isolation, the uptone iso regen and newest Intona 3.0 isolator .

11 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Sorry Chris, i don't understand what you’re saying. How does a top class server with a USB output connect to the USB DAC input if not with a cable?   I found my system to work best with a simple USB cable....all the other stuff downgraded the sound

Sorry. You are correct this cant work 😆

I missed the one phrase  "except of the Intona Ultimate cable that is still in place" I removed everything.

But I keep everything , because the nirvana is not a stabile thing.

From time to time you want to change this or that OR after server / softwere update dosn't sound as " magical" anymore , so you need to experiment if one of the multiple USB solutions are improving the SQ or not.

So I come back and forth many times sometimes to set it to the new "absolute"

Especially Roon update can be very devastating to the SQ sometimes. Sometimes it improves SQ so you never know.

20 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

The more profound the arriving data stream damage, the greater the level of SQ improvement multiple switches will bring. 

I must say this is very true in my system. 

I started long ago with radio based Internet.  

Not many know that in fact this are the very strong WiFi antennas (not radio broadcast !) with transmitting distance upto 5 km . This is a very strong signal.

There is more.

Usually this kind of Internet is used in difficult terrain and by that they use much stronger antennas to transmit it further. 

So in my case there was 3 transmission antennas and 3 receiving antennas before it reached the server og the internet provider.

I was able to get the difference with 5GHz and 2,4 Ghz and 5 Ghz destroyes the signal much more than 2,4 antenna.

Also I paid to get installed direct fibre to exclude the 3x plus 3x wifi demage and the outcome is clear.

Using the same system , same stacked switches music is by far better in every possible way. 

I left the radio internet (wifi) for home / office use and 200 mbps fibre is exclusive for music server only.

For those with radio Internet on the roof it will be much better investment to get the fibre home than anything else. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Superdad said:

I would not bother with any of those C-W clocks you linked to.  Phase-performance of those is far worse than a good 

Crystek $10 XO.  
All you get with a $58 OCXO (besides a current-hog for the oven and a huge footprint) is a bit of frequency stability—something which matters not at all in the application.  To get decent low phase noise from an OCXO you either have to pay $350+ (and that’s at 200+ quantity) or scavenge particular clocks off of retiring 4G cell tower boards (that’s what the Chinese ham guy BG7TBL does; in fact the -125dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset 10MHz units he offers for $90 in a box are a steal).

Its good to hear from industry expert.

I got many of the Uptone products. Fantastic value for the mony .

Could you please be so kind to light up our view a little why do we see so gigantic experience by installing Pink Faun Ultra clocks in Buffalo ?

Which level is that clock in terms of the AUDIO performance in your opinion and if there are any better options?

Also in the price no object case.

Thanks Alex

Best

K

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Soul Analogue said:

The hardware and PSU part of my EPYC server are almost done

have successfully separated power supply an intel i350 lan card (removing the switching regulators on the card) by 1.0v and 1.8v

the 12v will power a PCIE SSD ... probably an optane 😁 

there will be spare 5v and 3.3v rails....probably for clock modifications or usb/i2s card

143287081_EPYCserver.thumb.jpg.d5d023ad6cb5bf25f5196290eb02ee6f.jpg

This looks fantastic. 

Congratulations 👏 

Could you please be so kind to share more about how you did 1 v and 1.8v  ?

We had similar issues whith powering the Buffalo 2016 switch .

It has 1.5v and 1v sps regulators on board .

Some were able to power it up but I am not sure what is the best way of bypassing those noisy regulators.  

I have already Pink Faun clocks installed, 

but wanted to power with LPSs only bypasding this regulators