IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Nenon,

For those of us willing to purchase the Mundorf 15.5AWG wiring, will you still be offering the preferred capacitor selection for the unregulated power supply?

For some of us, we are willing to outlay the additional funds rather than compromise the performance. We early adopters, who already invested in all the Taiko Extreme clone components, and have realized sonic performance surpassing  of all of our prior DIY Music Server builds, are hoping to extract as much performance as we can.

I figure if I can get 90% or more of the performance of Emile’s masterpiece, for less than half it’s total cost of entry, I’m still doing great!

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
20 hours ago, Nenon said:

I posted this two years ago. And I've had the early prototype for a few months before posting... WOW!!! Time goes so fast. Two years!

I was asked today about some Apacer RAM recommendations, and I realized I have stopped playing with computer parts over two years ago. I've said that before, but as soon as I heard the ASUS Sage motherboard and dual Xeon CPUs used in the Taiko Extreme, I realized I was done chasing the best sounding computer hardware. The goal from there was to focus on the best power supply and software settings. This is how the ULPS idea and Taiko ATX combo came up. 

After many discussions with Emile and visiting him in Oldenzaal, I was fascinated with the level of advancement Taiko had in developing their digital source. I knew I would never be able to win that chase with DIY. I also realized that the Taiko Extreme was just a platform and learned about many things that were about to come. Taiko is actively working on 17 big projects, including a network card, router, switch, massive battery power supply for the Extreme, a real audiophile battery management system, new massive GaN DC to DC ATX, XDMS player, etc. I don't have the full list as they would not share, but I would not be surprised if a DAC is in the works as well. It makes perfect sense to control the entire digital chain end to end, including all the network, vibration, and power. Anyhow, as I've posted previously, I ordered a Taiko Extreme server. It arrived recently and I have been going through a burn-in process.

image.thumb.png.1f463813854375de9ccffd9d3782fd07.png

The question of the decade is how does it compare to my DIY server? The first few days were quite underwhelming. I guess Taiko products suffer through some jetlag :). But it started to get better and better after that. I am planning to give it another week and put together my thoughts on how the two compare. No, my server is not better (as expected), but how much have I accomplished with DIY is very interesting to find out. I am as interested as you guys are, so stay tuned for that. 

Where do I go from here? Well, my DIY server was sold to a member here. My main involvement will be when I receive a Taiko DIY chassis. I will write a guide similar to how this thread started while building a DIY Extreme with some parts I have, and I will pass the rest on to the many talented DIY-ers here to push the boundaries again. 

With the 17 projects Taiko is working on and all the supply chain issues plus price increases, I guess we will need to have more patience on the chassis. For those that are impatient, the HDPlex solution I quoted in the beginning of this post still works but requires more DIY.  

I have a black Extreme on order. As a builder of a Sage WS621 that I’ve continually tweaked over the last 3 years(including your spec’d power supply with the Taiko DC to ATX converter) I’m quite interested in your take Nenon!

I think one of the biggest selling points for  purchasing an actual Extreme,  is Taiko’s customer service, ecosystem and their proprietary developments, including their upcoming music player plus all the other trick hardware on the way. Some interesting developments that I didn’t see coming at the Munich show! 

High priced products for sure, but it affords a lot of R&D for a very passionate Emile and his team.

Todd

• 5 weeks later...

So it looks like there’s room for the full ULPS and the Taiko ATX inside the chassis. Is that correct?

It also looks like with a different backplate full-size PCIe cards would fit in the MB slots, for those of us that use the full-size Asus HyperX m2x4 HD PCIe card.

It might seem kind of silly with a Taiko Extreme on order, but I kind of want to see this project through!(Trying to fight my ADHD tendencies😆)

• 8 months later...