IGNORED

anyone need a laserdisc player ?

ok .. so I'm a bit of a vintage sony fanboy at times . I've been wanting to purchase a ta- F6B amp for a while and found a working one on buyee . I was planning to get it re- capped .. checked .. serviced because of its age . anyway .. it arrived today but inside the box was a Sony laserdisc player that I don't need .

I guess one of my dream amps is now MIA . I've sent a report to buyee about it so hopefully I can get a refund or Il have to put in a PayPal claim .

I guess I'm more upset cause I paid for the inspection of the item and my brain thinks that means box opened .. checked to see if the item they received is the one I purchased .

has this happened to any members on here before ? feeling a bit down about it  : (

20200110_122927.jpg

5 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@Boomboy Sorry to hear that-- I have 2 of them one a Pioneer Elite and a slew of discs including Top Gun/ The Alamo(full director's cut did you know John Ford did most of the directing?) and the anniversary edition of Casablanca. Don't even know if it still works. Really a shame still looking for a good home for them.

I hope you didn’t think that the Duke actually directed this blockbuster of a film? The Duke was good actor (albeit with a narrow range. Can’t see the Duke playing Macbeth, for instance), but he was no director. On the other hand, “Pappy” Ford was one of the greatest directors of all time.

I once had LaserDiscs (over 400 of them) and players, but the dread “laser-rot” and generally poor resolution of discs combined with the poor tracking of the analog playback system caused me to ash-can the player, and give the discs away after DVD came out.

George

@gmgraves oh no gm always knew Ford did most if not all of the directing had to...those sequences especially “Houston arrives” and “Crockett arrives” are pure Ford but a Wayne admirer like me would love to think it was an homage to his mentor but  a Tarantino he was not. And yes my 2 players just got put away and I wasn’t aware of the rot thing but think that laser disc was the ‘director’s cut’ too bad because it’s not in any other format.  And Wayne although marginal should have won Oscars for ‘she wore a yellow ribbon’  ‘the searchers’ and ‘the-quiet man’ wonder why? Feel bad for @Boomboy. I still have my program from reserved seat initial showing with an intermission!

11 hours ago, gmgraves said:

generally poor resolution of discs combined with the poor tracking of the analog playback system

About the time GL ramped up his campaign to "fix" his entire oeuvre.  I took in my first movie on LD, the original Star Wars.  Was shocking how much worse it was than a VHS/BetaMax copy.  So I tried a movie originally released in the format and it was no better.  Physically, they are pretty comical too.   

On 1/9/2020 at 8:31 PM, Boomboy said:

I guess one of my dream amps is now MIA . I've sent a report to buyee about it so hopefully I can get a refund or Il have to put in a PayPal claim .

I guess I'm more upset cause I paid for the inspection of the item and my brain thinks that means box opened .. checked to see if the item they received is the one I purchased .

has this happened to any members on here before ? feeling a bit down about it  : (

While I personally have not had any dealings with buyee, many of the online reviews are extremely negative, citing terrible customer service, outrageous shipping fees and no refunds. I hope that your experience is different, but I suspect that your only possible redress will be via a PayPal claim.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

38 minutes ago, Allan F said:

While I personally have not had any dealings with buyee, many of the online reviews are extremely negative, citing terrible customer service, outrageous shipping fees and no refunds. I hope that your experience is different, but I suspect that your only possible redress will be via a PayPal claim.

I haven't read too much about them online . but I did have the package insurared and they mentioned that I'm entitled to a refund . just have to wait a few weeks for their internal investigation to be completed .

I bought a couple of smaller car things from them and it's been all good till now . 

yeah .. shipping not cheap via EMS but it is fast and I have put in a PayPal claim as well 

To be honest, I don't have to try any laserdisc player to play music's stuff before, I do have a laptop with DVD drive to play music straight from CD's which is much better and cheaper than laserdisc.

Nowadays, I do play music's stuff on my phone and laptop with my IEMs and FLAC & MP3 music file stuff. Laserdisc is certainly not cheap.