IGNORED

Advise me on “dongle” type HiRes DAC/HP amp for iPad?

Looking for something ideally like the AQ dragonfly (in terms of form factor and not needing its own power) but capable with at least  24/192 and DSD 64.  Does this exist, or do I have to go up to a Chord Mojo or equivalent to play these formats on the go?  I presume all also require use of the lightning Usb3 adapter, rather than direct connect to lightning (6th general iPad)?  Thanks.

Thanks.

I should stress that my iPad has a 3.5 jack and sounds quite good with the onboard DAC.  I’m looking for something that improves on this and plays 24/192 and DSD without downsampling etc.

From one of  the links you posted, this surprised me:

”Cozoy implemented a Cirrus Logic CS42L42 chipset in TAKT with the ability to decode audio formats of up to 384 kHz/32-bit resolution PCM, as well as native DSD decoding of up to DSD128, however, due to the use of Apple’s LAM (Lightning Adaptor Module) based on MFi design requirement ensured that TAKT can only deliver 48kHz/24-bit resolution due to the LAM upstream limitation.”

Does  this mean that digital output via an iPad’s lightning port is restricted to 24/48?  If so, it renders my query redundant.

This device seems to be exactly what I was looking for, but has been around for a while now and hasn’t generated a lot of attention:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/shanling-up-portable-lossless-headphone-amplifier-usb-dac.html

1 hour ago, Miska said:

With camera kit USB dongle you can get hires... Best dongle type DAC I've had has been Resonessence Labs HERUS.

P.S. I never got Chord Mojo work reliably with my iPhone. Sooner or later I always end up getting full volume blast of white noise with it. And it is always out of battery, since it consumes power also when turned off (less though).

Thanks, that’s a great suggestion (other than price).  Despite being a Mirus owner I’d forgotten about the Herus.  So this should work with the current Apple lightning to usb converter without any additional power supply?