WOW. 

As anyone who has ever conducted business with me knows, honesty, integrity, and giving clients the benefit of the doubt--even to the point of loosing money--is how I conduct business.

Yet once every few years, despite best efforts, there are clients for whom no effort is enough. And Mr. Y.A. Cheah (mikey8811) in Malaysia is our example for 2019.

Leaving aside his specious summarizations that UpTone is unprofessional or not to be trusted--which hundreds of others who have dealt with me would dispute--there are facts of our interaction which he misrepresents.  I could spend a couple of hours unpacking his long post and replying point-by-point, but instead--for full transparency-- am going to paste the entirely of our 10 month long exchange.

First a few interesting facts that may not be apparent from the e-mails:

a) With the exception of the new UltraCap LPS-1.2 we sold to him as an upgrade ($250 including FedEx shipping), all of the UpTone products Mr. Cheah possesses were obtained by him second-hand. We find no record of him ever having purchased ISO REGEN or LPS-1.2 units from us. So although he has never purchased anything directly from UpTone, we of course still honor our generous 3-year transferrable warranty and treated him with respect throughout more than a dozen e-mail exchanges. I think in total we have lost more then $600 with this gentleman.

b) Checking the order record for the second-hand 2017 LPS-1 he had, we see that it was originally bought from us without any "energizing"/charging supply, and the unit he originally sent to us looked like it had been severely over-voltaged, though I never said anything to him about that.

c) As noted in the e-mails, the LPS-1 board we used for his first replacement was from a customer trade-in, not from a repair.

d) The LPS-1 he shipped to us arrived poorly wrapped and packed loose in a envelope; As I recall, the dings suffered by the casework were so extensive that we substituted other 'B'-stock casework before shipping his replacement.

e) I was very clear that the heavily discounted $220 upgrade (what we receive after taking away our FedEx cost)--which is actually below our cost for a complete UltraCap LPS-1.2--would be in lieu of any repair to the original LPS-1. Despite that, he persisted in taking my time to provide him with part number details so he could attempt repair of the original unit locally.

e) In the end he was dissatisfied that the black end-panel screws on the new UltraCap LPS-1.2 showed some silver in the points of the Torx bit sockets, and that if the unit is shaken (who does that?) the 0.1mm too-short PCB in his unit would move slightly in the case. So we offered to refund his $250 if he would send it back. Instead he chose to open a dispute with his credit card company. So now we have lost another $250.

=================

Below is our ENITRE e-mail chain--with not a single word changed. Please read from the bottom up to be in ascending date order. I will attempt to remove all private details such as e-mail and physical addresses.

Anyone is free to ask me questions. I have zero to hide. Judge for yourselves.

Thanks,

ALEX CRESPI

--------------

October 28, 2019

No. You can pay for the return of the new and perfectly functioning LPS-1.2 and we will refund $250 upon receipt and inspection.  That is our only and final offer to you.

Goodbye,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
---------------

On Oct 28, 2019, at 8:37 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

You have shown yourself and Uptone to be a manufacturer who produces shoddy product who further refuses to be responsible for said product it has shipped.

Please make arrangements for FedEx to collect the UltraCap LPS 1.2 from me for return back to you at your expense.

I will gladly return it.

Also, in lieu of the warranty value you have imputed to the faulty UltraCap 1 which is still under warranty, please make payment of US$185 to me.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

-----------------

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 11:20 PM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

You have shown yourself to be a person with expectations beyond what is reasonable.  We will not loose ever more money in dealing with you.  If you will ship the new UltraCap LPS-1.2 unit back to us, we will refund your $250 and this relationship will be over.

Goodbye,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
Phone: 1-209-966-4377
--------------------

On Oct 28, 2019, at 8:09 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

You shipped me a unit that is not up to par.

It is perfectly reasonable of me to expect a replacement at no further cost to me.

It seems that you are not willing to be responsible for something you manufacture which escaped your seemingly poor quality control standards.

You sell a finished product which is not up to scratch and you wish for a customer to open it up himself and put a strip of electrical tape inside? This is rich.

For all your talk - it is simply marketing. Your response is plainly unprofessional and unethical.

I reasonably expect a replacement at no further cost or inconvenience to me, failing which I will be forced to take action against Uptone.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

-----------------

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 10:55 PM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

If you wish we will mail new screws to you. When you remove the face plate you can put a strip of electrical tape across the inside so that the edge of the PCB will contact that—effectively making the board longer and insuring that the end plates press the edges of the board to eliminate movement.  Beyond that we are done.  I an not shipping you another unit. There is nothing wrong with the new one we sent.

Good day,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
-----------------

On Oct 27, 2019, at 9:48 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

Thanks for your reply.

While I appreciate your reassurance that the unit is indeed new and the rattling noise doesn't affect the functionality, I have the following reservations.

Firstly, I have plugged in the unit since I wrote to you and upon subsequent inspection after it heated up, the rattling noise still remains.

Secondly, the heads of the Torx screws are pretty scratched - it is very obvious to the naked eye. The scratch as I mentioned is faint - I noticed it only upon looking closely at the unit after hearing the rattling noise.

I understand that there are lapses in the assembly of units and faults but if my setup configuration changes and I should intend to sell the LPS 1.2, then a buyer will not. For buyers of audio equipment concerned about miniscule things like vibration, the rattling would certainly be difficult to explain away. Ditto for the cosmetic effects of the scratched Torx screw heads. This would be to my detriment.

As such, I would appreciate that you replace the unit with a new properly assembled one.

Kindly make arrangements for FedEx to collect it from me to be sent back to you and send me a replacement when available.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

-------------------

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 10:22 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

Glad to hear that the package with new UltraCap LPS-1.2 was successfully delivered to you.

I guarantee that the unit you received was 100% new.  We assembled 50 new units immediately upon receipt of the aluminum cases, and then packaged them up.  You received one of these units without our looking to make any differentiation versus all other customers.

Perhaps the Torx T10 screwdriver tip my assistant was using to assemble was a bit worn.  After many uses we throw away the bits if they start to mare the black of the Torx-star screw.  But those screws are b now means “stripped.”  I can not see from the photo the scratch you mention, but it must be very small as we do let scratched units go out. We do try hard to pay attention to these details.

Any rattle you hear is only from the entire circuit board not being held firm in the slots by pressure from the front/back plates. The PCB has close +/- tolerance for length, and sometimes a few are just 0.1mm short—enough to keep the end plates from holding it steady.  We have a trick to fix that (a bit of electrical tape along the inside of the front plate is enough thickness), but perhaps we missed your unit or the temperature is different in your environment—when it warms up it may become tighter. In any case, there are no loose parts inside and your unit will function perfectly.

With kind regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
-------------

On Oct 26, 2019, at 7:55 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

I hope you are enjoying your weekend away.

Just to let you know, FedEx managed to clear customs with the commercial invoice you subsequently sent to me.

I have unpacked the unit and while the packaging seems to be new, the unit doesn't seem to be.

I heard a rocking sound as if there was something loose internally, when I unpacked the LPS 1.2 and have attached a video below.

Also, the screws on the unit look stripped - both front and back, and there is a tiny scratch on the right of the front panel. I have attached images below.

I compared it to the existing LPS 1.2 I have. That doesn't have the rocking sound and the screws look fine. 

It doesn't look like customs unpacked the unit at all as the FedEx Pack was sealed.

Please advise.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

-------------

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 2:08 PM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

Attached is the exact invoice which was attached to your package.  We always list freight amount for small packages at $15 so that customs does not make up their own inflated amount to tax.

In about 5 hours I am leaving for a 5 day trip.  I will not be able to assist you further until next week.

You should find out about tax amount.  If the goods are returned we will have to charge you both return to USA shipping cost and cost to sent to you again.

Good luck,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
-------------------

On Oct 23, 2019, at 9:19 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

FedEx informs me that my LPS 1.2 is held up in customs as there is a duty and sales tax on the freight charge.

You were kind enough to waive the freight charges on my shipment but unfortunately, due to the zero charges, customs has imputed a US$130 freight charge which they say is taxable.

Can you please email me an invoice for a freight charge of US$20 for the shipment so I can use this to proceed with customs clearance. Otherwise, they will return the shipment.

Thanks and regards

Y A

-----------------

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:07 PM Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

I have completed payment for the LPS 1.2.

Please follow the shipping instructions and customs declaration of:

WARRANTY REPLACEMENT FOR TEST EQUIPMENT FOR COMPUTER AUDIO

with a nominal value which we discussed before.

Please forward me the tracking information when the item ships.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

--------------

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:29 PM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

I have already told you that it is not possible for us to assist you in repair of the original LPS-1.  The special price offered to you to upgrade to LPS-1.2 is in lieu of any and all repair obligation regarding your old unit.

We do not stock those capacitors at our facility because we use a turnkey PCB assembly firm who handles ordering of all parts to our exact specifications.

I am very busy with EtherREGEN launch right now, so please do not ask again about LPS-1 repair advice.

Aluminum cases for UltraCap LPS-1.2 arrive today, and by next Wednesday, October 23 we will have shipped out all customer back-orders of LPS-1.2.  The web invoice link we provided to you for your upgrade is still active. If you wish for your new unit to ship this ext week then please complete/pay that order by Monday.

With kind reagards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
Mariposa, California
-------------

On Oct 17, 2019, at 12:47 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

No problems.

My friend has identified leakage in a pair of capacitors Maxwell Technologies BCAP0001 P270 T01 (image attached) as the cause of the short.

<BCAP0001P270T01.JPG>

I can only order them from the US but shipping is very costly commensurate to the price of the parts which are only $3.58 each.

Is it possible for me to order them and send them to you for you to include in the shipment of the LPS 1.2 to me? They have a marginal weight and as you know are the size of a nail.

Thanks and regards

Y A

---------------

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 9:45 PM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

It is a complicated design.  We can not offer remote assistance in troubleshooting repair.  And as you know, our offer to upgrade to UltraCap LPS-1.2 at deep discount price is in lieu of any further obligation for repair of that LPS-1 unit.  Sorry.

Best,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

-------------

On Oct 8, 2019, at 1:44 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

Thanks for letting me know about the delay to the LPS 1.2.

I will adjust the timing of the payment accordingly to around 23 October.

My friend has replaced the REGE33 voltage resistor. He measured the PCB points but they were still shorted. would you be so kind as to assist us with a circuit diagram related to REGE33 so he can troubleshoot further as to which other parts need replacing?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Yeong Aun Cheah

------------

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:42 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Y A:

Our custom aluminum case supplier just informed me that shipment for UltraCap LPS-1.2 cases is delayed until October 17th. So we will receive on 22nd and work to ship 23rd or 24th.  Sorry for the extra delay.  Please plan your payment accordingly.

We have made a note regarding your wording request for the customs declaration. It will be WARRANTY REPLACEMENT OF TEST EQUIPMENT FOR COMPUTER AUDIO.

Both of the part numbers you linked to are identical part. Both are listed as MCP1703T-3302E/MB.  That is the part. You must go by the manufacturer part number. Newark/Farnell/element14 makes mistakes all the time with such things.  Either both stock numbers are the same part, or they made a mistake with the listing of manufacturer part number for one of them. No way to tell.

Best,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

-----------

On Oct 2, 2019, at 8:09 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah  wrote:

Dear Alex

I will complete payment for the invoice closer to 15 Oct and let you know when I have done so.

The package value declaration is OK but can you list it as:

WARRANTY REPLACEMENT OF TEST EQUIPMENT FOR COMPUTER AUDIO

It basically has to be under the category of "Test Equipment For Computer Audio" to be non dutiable.

I went though the spec sheet for the part you sent and I was able to locate the same item of the same brand Microchip.

However, there are two 3-pin variations based on the number on your spec sheet respectively and as linked below:

MCP1703T-3302E/MB. -  LDO VOLTAGE REGULATOR, 250mA, 3.3V, 3-SOT-89

https://my.element14.com/microchip/mcp1703t-3302e-mb/ldo-voltage-regulator-250ma-3/dp/2137357?st=MCP1703T-3302E/MB

and

MCP1703T-3302E/MB -  Fixed LDO Voltage Regulator, 2.7V to 16V, 525mV Dropout, 3.3Vout, 250mAout, SOT-89-3

https://my.element14.com/microchip/mcp1703t-3302e-mb/ic-ldo-3-3v-250ma-sot89-3/dp/1851952?st=MCP1703T-3302E/MB

Can you confirm which is the correct part?

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

-----------

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:37 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

Separately I just sent you the web invoice link for your heavily discounted order for a complete new package UltraCap LPS-1.2.

It will be ready to ship by October 15th, so you just need to complete payment before then.

The lowest we can declare the package to is $40 (plus $15 also listed for shipping on commercial invoice).  It will be listed as a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT item.  If we try to list for lower value there might be trouble with customs. Nobody will believe it is worth only $20.

Thanks and regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
--------------

On Sep 30, 2019, at 9:05 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah  wrote:

Dear Alex

My details are as follows:

Name: 

Yeong Aun Cheah

Delivery Address: 

xxxxxxxx

Tel: xxxxxxxxx

Please declare as "USED TEST EQUIPMENT FOR COMPUTER AUDIO" with a marginal value of US$20 for customs purposes so I will not incur any duties on the package.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

-------------

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:42 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

Welcome home!

We think your decision is a good one and that you will be very happy with the new model.

In order to send you a web order invoice link for a discounted new UltraCap LPS-1.2 unit, we need a complete name, delivery address, and telephone number.

Shipment will be via FedEx Express, but can not take place until approximately October 15th.  That is because we are presently awaiting delivery of another 250 aluminum enclosures for LPS-1.2 (circuit boards are built, in-stock, and tested already).

Attached is a copy of the data sheet for REGE33 as used on the original LPS-1.  The file name I gave the PDF is the exact part number variant.  I am sorry, but I do not have time to compare specifications between the part you linked to and the one we use, so we can not promise compatibility.  As your technician noted, other parts have likely failed as well.

Sincerely,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

------------

On Sep 29, 2019, at 10:57 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

I have now returned from my work trip and have decided to opt for the LPS 1.2 replacement. Please let me know how to proceed.

Before I went away, I left the LPS 1 with a friend who is an electronics engineer. He opened it up and identified a part labelled as Reg 33 (please see attached picture) as the non functional bit. He says it is voltage regulator and he will need to replace it first to see if other parts are also faulty. 

Can you confirm that this is the correct part he needs to source as follows?

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/LtQkaEJI

Alternatively, can you point me towards the appropriate part or if you have any spares maybe you could include it with the LPS 1.2 shipment to me? Your assistance is much appreciated.

Of course I will not hold Uptone responsible for any issues with his attempted repair of the LPS 1.

Hopefully, he will be able to fix it so I can use it to power an FMC or another device.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

---------------

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 1:01 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

Our products are priced for direct sale with no room for typical dealer/distributor discounts of 40-55%.  (We have a couple of dealers around the world who are willing to carry with just a 15% discount because their customers demand our products and it helps them sell other things.)

So we do not have any dealer in Australia.  Even if we did, why on earth would they be responsible for warranty service of an item sold into another country?  And the original LPS-1 has not been sold for over two years, so there is no stock anywhere.

As for the rest of what you wrote, you are entitled to feel however you do about the matter.  I have been fair and open.  We are sorry to loose you as a client.  We wish you well with all your future audio purchases.

Travel safely,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
-----------

On Sep 17, 2019, at 8:47 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

Thank you for your candour.

I will be traveling to Melbourne, Australia for work in 2 days. Do you have an authorised agent or distributor there with stock of the LPS 1?

If so, would I be able to do a one-to-one swap so I may lower the costs of return and repair.

I do not have high hopes for the longevity of the repaired unit given my previous experience and your admission of the poor quality of available parts and will probably have to write it off if it becomes defective once again. I am just hoping to minimise my losses from this experience.

While I appreciate your honesty and apology, I do hope you can also appreciate my point of view. My experience with the Uptone LPS 1 has not been the best to say the least and to chalk it down to my bad luck is something that leaves a bad aftertaste. To be honest, this is the only item in my Hi Fi setup to have malfunctioned in the last 20 years if my recollection serves me correctly. While I do enjoy the sonics of the LPS 1.2 in my system currently, I am wary about its longevity given the above. At this juncture, I am hesitant to throw more good money after bad and am unlikely to want to purchase another Uptone product. Again, this is no personal slur on you. 

Please let me know so that I may come to a decision.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

-------------

Dear Y A:

My comments below.

ALEX

On Sep 16, 2019, at 1:13 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah  wrote:

Dear Alex

Thanks for your reply.

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

The LPS 1 is still under warranty as are many others out there. However, you do not have any new circuit boards for it. Instead, the circuit boards are from previously faulty units albeit now repaired or traded in ones. This is because the LPS 1 has been superceded by the LPS 1.2.

Correct. Though the board we installed in your replacement was from a trade-in. It was not a board that had been repaired.

My repaired unit's replacement circuit board (not new) was thoroughly tested at your facility and yet it still failed after 3 months of use at best. You state that the failure rate of LPS 1's are 3%. I guess I must have fallen into the really unlucky camp because I have literally had 2 units fail within a short time frame.

Correct.

If I infer correctly from this, the same fate ie. lack of new circuit boards will befall LPS 1.2 units purchased once the LPS 1.2 becomes superceded by a new model. Is this right?

We do not currently have plans for a model to replace the LPS-1.2 (though we are working on an innovative 3A supply—not based on supercapacitors—to fit price and current-wise in between the UltraCap LPS-1.2 and the JS-2 in our line).

I admit that we sold out of all original LPS-1 units and did not think to keep a good stock of that model for repairs.  I do not intend to make the same mistake again.

If so, that doesn't really inspire much confidence.

I am 100% open and honest in all business dealings.  The UltraCap design is a sophisticated, leading-edge product, offered at a reasonable price (our margins on it—and all our products--are far lower that what other manufacturers operate on).  

I have already apologized for the inconvenience and offered you best alternatives.  We await your decision.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

------------

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 2:33 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Y A:

Thanks for your reply.  My answers/comments to your questions/points are below.

Travel safely.  We will look forward to your decision upon your return.

Best,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

On Sep 16, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

I have been using the supplied Meanwell to charge the Ultracap unit.

Can you tell me what is likely to have caused the issue? The Meanwell itself lights up when plugged in.

It is a very sophisticated design and a lot of current flows through many critical parts.  It is impossible to say what failed and why without deep analysis on the test bench.

Also, when I unplugged it to keep back in the box, I noticed there is a ding on the unit which wasn't there when I sent it back to you for repair initially.

Was the LPS 1 I sent actually repaired or replaced with another unit?

With repairs we are always very careful to insure that customers receive back the same case as the one they sent. Many times people do not pack carefully and damage occurs in transport.  I do not recall how your unit was packed.  Sometimes units arrive in such poor condition that we pick other, better condition end plates or enclosure frames from our ‘B’-stock and replace with those. But again, I do not recall for your unit.

As far as the circuit board in your unit: What you received back was a different circuit board, one that was fully tested here. New UltraCap LPS-1 boards have not been produced for several years now, so most boards used in repairs are either ones we repaired or from trade-ins.

Given the cost of repeatedly sending it back for repair, I am tempted to go with the LPS 1.2 but you are offering only an additional $25 off your initial offer of $275.

I understand.  But that $250 price—including FedEx shipping—is $185 off of the normal $435 price for a complete UltraCap LPS-1.2 kit (which comes with a larger 36W UpTone-branded charger brick); plus the $35 that FedEx costs us to send.  We are loosing a great deal of money on this.

I am also alarmed by the quick failure of the repaired unit - around 3 months and am wary about getting another Ultracap unit even though my current LPS 1.2 works OK but who knows down the road? After all, speaking from experience the LPS 1 hasn't been too reliable.

I too am alarmed at you having a second failure. Our overall failure rate for the LPS-1 has been about 3%. The higher-performance and more advanced LPS-1.2 has been more reliable.

As such, I am considering getting a linear power supply instead like the JS 2, HD Plex or used Paul Hynes.

Our acclaimed JS-2 choke-filtered, dual-output, 5~7.4 amp linear power supply could be a great choice for you. Of the more than 800 units in the field, there has only ever bee one failure. I would discount a JS-2 for you by the same $185, but can not do free-freight on the large 7Kg box.

I will be travelling for work in the next few days and will only return after 29 Sep. Can I let you know when I return?

Sure.

Sincerely

Yeong Aun Cheah

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 1:27 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

We are sad to learn that your LPS-1 has again failed.  What power supply have you been using to “energize”/charge the UltraCap unit?

As before, you have two options:

1) You can send your unit back for repair (there is a little less than 1 year left on the warranty);

or

2) You can have ship you a brand new UltraCap LPS-1.2 unit with new 3-year warranty.  This time I make the price to do so at well below our cost: $250 including FedEx shipping.

Please let me know what you decide.

Sorry again for the trouble.

Sincerely,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

On Sep 15, 2019, at 4:41 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Hi Alex

A problem has arisen with the repaired LPS 1 again.

This time the unit doesn't light up. The Meanwell power supply comes on but the turn on light sequence does not. There is simply no light at all. The unit is warm to the touch though.

Please advise as to what can be done.

It is disappointing given that it was returned for repair not so long ago.

Thanks and regards

Y A

---------

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:40 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Y A:

I admit to having only personally compared our own Oyaide/Belden shielded star-quad (heavy 4*18awg for use with our high current JS-2) versus the Ghent Audio Gotham GAC4 (that cable inspired by my friend Larry’s discovery of the Gotham wire and my partner John Swenson’s Farady-cage-like JSSG technique).  In my system the Gotham GAC4 is fantastic.  

Hope that helps.

Best,

ALEX

On Apr 9, 2019, at 11:11 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah  wrote:

Hi Alex

Thanks so much.

As an aside, I just wanted to ask your opinion on DC cables.

I am currently using a Sonore / Cardas DC 4 from LPS 1.2 to ISO Regen

The cable seems smooth sounding rather than with the traditional Cardas warmth.

Do you have any experience with other DC cables used with the LPS 1.2 or LPS 1? There are so many brands out there like Ghent Audio Oyaide terminated ones using either Canare, Gotham or Neotech cable. I believe VH Audio also makes DC cables with OCC copper and Oyaide terminations, as does Zenwave Audio with UPOCC copper manufactured by Neotech.

I generally prefer copper to silver and like a full bodied sound with tonal density and warmth. From your experience, which DC cable would suit my preferences?

Thanks and regards

Y A
--------

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:26 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Y A:

We will watch for your unit.  And I have made a note about including one of our little screwdrivers with your repaired unit.

Thanks,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
-----------

On Apr 9, 2019, at 2:19 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

I have sent just the LPS 1 back to the address you specified by Registered International Air Mail with the tracking number of RR192829859MY.

You should receive it in about 10 days.

I have included the attached note (Instructions For UpTone.docx) in the package as per your instructions.

Please let me know when you receive it.
When you send the repaired or replacement unit back to me, would you be so kind as to include the small tool for switching the voltage on the LPS 1.2? Mine went missing.

Thanks and regards

Yeong Aun Cheah
---------

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 3:47 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Y A:

That is fine.  No RMA number needed, but you must put a typewritten note INSIDE the box with your complete return delivery address and telephone number.

Airmail with tracking is fine.

Please mail just the UltraCap unit (no charger, no cables or accessories, and no retail box—packaging is not returned) to us at:

UpTone Audio

XXXXX

Ya can declare it as “Defective low-voltage power device being returned to original USA manufacturer for Warranty Repair."

We will return the repaired/replaced unit to you via fast FedEx service, and for customs it will be declared as a “Warranty Repaired low-voltage computer power device” with a value of just $40. This will help avoid additional costs to receive back.

Thanks,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

On Apr 8, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Dear Alex

Thanks for getting back.

While I would like the LPS 1.2 ( I do have one so I know it is a sonic improvement), taking up your offer would mean I have to write off the $395 I spent on the LPS 1 in the first place.

As such, I will be better off getting the LPS 1 repaired and continue using it or selling it to fund an upgrade to a LPS 1.2.

I will send it back to you as soon as possible for repair.

Do you need to issue me with a RMA number for it?

Also, have you had problems receiving regular air mail with tracking?

Please give me explicit instructions for sending the unit back to you for warranty repair.

Thanks and regards

Y A

-------------

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 1:58 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Y A:

Thank you for the information.

An LPS-1 by itself (no accessories or charger, and before adding weight of packing material) weighs 300 grams.

Local repair of your unit is impossible.  It is a very complex circuit that nobody will understand.  And no, it is not just a cold solder joint.

Another option: Upgrading your LPS-1 to an LPS-1.2:

The LPS-1.2 requires a different case (openings on the back are different), a higher wattage charger, and of course the more elaborate and costly PCB.  So an upgrade is really getting a whole new unit.

However, if you would like to trade in your LPS-1 for a new LPS-1.2 (complete kit) at a discount, you can do so. $275 including shipping.  And you would NOT need to send back your failing LPS-1, so that is some additional cost savings. 

(We do ask that you destroy or recycle the old unit.)

Let me know if that interests you or if you have any questions about it.  As you have read, the LPS-1.2 is a terrific sonic upgrade.

Also, we would ship a complete new UltraCap LPS-1.2 to you via very fast FedEx.  And it would have a new 3-year warranty.

Please let me know which option you choose.  If you choose to upgrade we will send you a link to a discounted web order for a complete UltraCap LPS-1.2. But we will need your complete delivery address and telephone number.

Best regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
------------

On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:48 PM, Yeong Aun Cheahwrote:

Dear Alex

Thanks for getting back.

I am actually the original owner but purchased it through a friend in the US. I recall back then your shipping charges cost more than they do now.
His name is XXXXXX XXXXXX. He has always been nice enough to help me buy things and group them together for shipping to help reduce shipping charges as I am in Malaysia.

The details on the invoice say:

Order No: UA web #6030

Order Date: 31 July 2017

Ship Date: 1 Aug 2017

I believe it is still under warranty.

Can you tell me the shipping weight of just the LPS 1 unit alone so I can ascertain shipping charges from me to you?

I was wondering what the issue could be as the light sequence seems to work. Could it be just a cold solder joint that I could get a local guy to fix if shipping costs too much?

Also, before I received your reply, i looked at the Computer Audiophile forums and read that another poster Jay Tee had a similar issue with the LPS 1 and you replaced it with a LPS 1.2.

Would you be so kind to do this in my case as well and if so, let me know what is involved?

As I mentioned I also have a LPS 1.2 which I prefer sonically.

Thanks and regards

Y A

-------------------

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 3:37 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Y A:

We are sorry to hear that your UltraCap unit may have failed.  If you provide the name or e-mail under which the LPS-1 was originally purchased, we can confirm warranty status and hopefully test/repair/replace it for you at no charge.

Please mail just the UltraCap unit (no charger, no cables or accessories, and no retail box—packaging is not returned) to us at:

UpTone Audio

XXXXXX

Please include a note with your name and delivery address INSIDE the package.

We will return the repaired/replaced unit to you via fast FedEx service, and for customs it will be declared as a “Warranty Repaired low-voltage computer power device” with a value of just $40. This will help avoid additional costs to receive back.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and look forward to resolving the issue for you quickly.

With kind regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

On Apr 5, 2019, at 5:02 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Hi Alex

I hope you are well.

I have been away and had my system powered down.

Upon return, I powered up and found that my LPS 1 no longer seems to output anything to my ISO Regen.

The powering on light sequence seems to go on and work from red to orange to green.

However, there is no power being output.

I have switched DC cables and then tried the ISO Regen and same cables on my LPS 1.2.

No issues there.

Can you please advise as to what may be the issue and how best to troubleshoot?

Thanks and regards

Y A

----------

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 12:11 AM Alex Crespi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Y A:

Sorry to be slow in reply.  My answers and comments are below your questions.

Let us know if we can assist further.

With kind regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC

--------

On Feb 27, 2019, at 12:04 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Hi Alex

Thanks for you help.

I have been using the LPS 1.2 in my system and it is an improvement over the LPS 1.

I have a couple of questions with issues in my system as follows:

1. Do you recommend plugging the provided Meanwell (or other) power supplies into a power conditioner or strip with passive filtering vs into a wall outlet?

The never-connected, bank-alternating design of our UltraCap supplies is such that their output performance is exactly the same regardless of the quality of the charging supply (as long as the charger has enough current and also has its DC output shunted to AC mains ground the way the supplied UpTone-branded 36W SMPS does).

So it does not matter into what outlet you plug the charging supply—so long as it is a grounded outlet. 

2. Do you recommend replacing the stock power cords on the above power supplies with better ones? Do better power cords make a bigger difference than upgrading the DC cables?

No, as explained above, the AC side of things makes no difference to the UltraCap supply.  However, the DC output cable from the UltraCap unit to whatever you are charging can make a very big difference and that cable is worthwhile to upgrade.  Choose a DC cable with 4-conductor “star-quad” configuration as this measurably lowers inductance.  Also try to keep the DC cable short.

3. I have always had an issue with the LPS 1 and LPS 1.2 when powering off my power amp. It causes the ISO Regen USB output into the DAC to be unrecognised. Unplugging and plugging the DC cable from the LPS 1 or LPS 1.2 to the ISO Regen rectifies the problem. 

That is an ISO REGEN issue and not an issue with the UltraCap supplies.  It is related to grounding and the galvanic isolation feature of the ISO REGEN.  If you put the ISO REGEN’s red switch into the up (‘ON’) position, the problem should go away.  You can read more about this issue here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31877-iso-regen-listening-impressions-kicked-off-with-some-measurements/?do=findComment&comment=714912

I am guessing it is a grounding issue.

I have my power amp into a separate wall duplex. 
The LPS 1 or LPS 1.2 are on a separate wall duplex on which I also have a power strip with passive filtering. The preamp, DAC, streamer all go into the power strip.
How do I troubleshoot and find out what is causing the disconnection when I turn the power amp off?

Thanks and regards
Y A
--------

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 5:31 AM Alex Crespi / UpTone Audio LLC  wrote:

Dear Y A:

While it may be difficult to change LPS-1.2 voltage setting with a fingernail, really any small screwdriver will work.

I would be happy to mail one our screwdrivers, but as crazy as it seems, US postal service does not allow non-bendable items such as screwdrivers in regular letter envelopes.  So it would have to ship as a package.  Even padded envelope as package costs us $14 to mail via First Class Mail overseas.  The screwdrivers cost us only $0.50 each.  So please just go into any local hardware store and purchase a tiny screwdriver for very little cost.

Hope you enjoy your UltraCap LPS-1.2 in your system.

With kind regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
--------

On Feb 1, 2019, at 9:14 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Hi Alex

Thanks for all your help.

I managed to find a LPS 1.2 on Audiogon.

I have yet to receive it but the seller neglected to ship the screwdriver like implement for changing the output voltage.

As I am in Malaysia, he seems reluctant to send it separately. He says: "you can literally change the voltage with your fingernail. All you need to do is just turn the wheel, almost anything can do that."

Is this correct? I ask because I have stripped screws on power amp chassis before with wrongly sized screwdrivers.

How much would it cost to purchase this item from you shipped to Malaysia? As it is small, I guess it can be sent rather cheaply in an envelope.

Thanks and regards

Y A

-----------

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 3:28 PM Yeong Aun Cheah  wrote:

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I would rather get the Ultracap LPS 1.2 but it is slightly beyond my budget, which is why I initially asked about a demo or open box unit.

The Wyred4Sound is considerably cheaper as it can power more devices albeit with the drawbacks you mentioned and there is currently one available used at a good price.

If only the LPS 1.2 was slightly cheaper, sigh.

Thanks again

---------

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 7:04 AM Alex Crespi / UpTone Audio LLC wrote:

Hi Y A:

ISO REGEN will run very warm to hot with 9V—depending upon the 5VBUS load presented by whatever DAC or DDC you have the output of the ISO REGEN connected to.  Better to stay with 7V if you can.  Besides, UltraCap LPS-1 is probably still a better sounding LPS than than Wyred4Sound unit.

And if your W4S unit has additional output models installed and is also powering some other device in your chain—before the ISO REGEN—then you will be defeating the galvanic isolation feature of the ISO REGEN because W4S LPS has output -VE (“grounds”) common to each other.

Kind regards,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
------------

On Jan 13, 2019, at 7:44 AM, Yeong Aun Cheah wrote:

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I have a ISO Regen that is currently being powered by a LPS 1.

Will a Wyred 4 Sound PS1 with a 9V / 0.8 A module power the ISO Regen too?

Thanks and regards

--------

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:05 AM Alex Crespi / UpTone Audio LLC wrote:

Dear Y A:

Thank you for your interest in our groundbreaking UltraCap LPS-1.2 power supply. 

I am sorry, but we do not have any demo or “open-box” units available.  

The UltraCap LPS-1.2 is in stock for immediate shipment.  We ship everywhere in the world via very fast FedEx Express service for just $34.

Please place your order via our secure web site at: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Alex Crespi

UpTone Audio LLC
---------

On Jan 11, 2019, at 8:34 AM, UpTone Audio (Shopify) <[email protected]> wrote:

You received a new message from your online store's contact form.

Name:

Y A

Email:

XXXXX

Phone:

XXXXXX

Body:

Hi I am interested in a LPS 1.2 and am wondering if you have any demo or open box units available at a discounted price. Thanks and regards

------------

2 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

While the Uptone items I have were not directly purchased from Uptone, Uptone offers a transferable warranty which you are contractually obliged to honour. So what you are touting as exemplary customer service by attending to a failed unit is simply fulfilling a contractual obligation and no more.

While I am unaware of the provenance of the original LPS 1 I sent for repair, it was sold to me with the OEM Meanwell power supply that Uptone provides and has always been used as such. Any overdriving would have arisen from a power supply specified by yourselves.

a) We did fulfill our obligation to repair your second-hand unit, completely free of charge and shipped via fast FedEx Express.

b) It is not a legal requirement that we offer a Transferrable 3-year Warranty. We could just as easily make it a 1-year, non-transferrable warranty. But we stand behind our products.

c) I have proof than the second-hand LPS-1 unit you bought from someone in the USA, order #6030, was originally sold to that buyer without the Mean Well charger, so I had no evidence that such is what you used. Maybe you got the Mean Well from one of the other second-hand UpTone products you bought. But I can tell you that a key voltage regulator of your original unit had a nice pinhole blown in it, and that only ever happens with original LPS-1 units when the charger voltage exceeds 16V.

With regards to the latest LPS 1.2 purchased directly from Uptone, I paid for a new and finished product. What I received was clearly not that. By your own admission, its faults escaped Uptone's own lax quality controls and yet for all your exemplary customer service, you were not responsible enough to make it right and ship a replacement, at no additional cost to me.

The product we shipped you was brand new. It is still in your hands working. You were unhappy that the insides of the heads of the black end-plate screws showed a little silver from the torque of the driver bit. You sent me fuzzy photos claiming the screws were completely stripped. Such would only be possible if you tried to remove the screws with a hex/Allen key or the wrong-sized Torx bit.

Thanks for including a transcript of the email correspondence.

Sure. I have nothing to hide and the facts are on our side.

Is there a reason you did not also post the photos and videos documenting the faults in the LPS 1.2 you shipped?

You mean the video of you shaking your UltraCap LPS-1.2? As for the slight rattle/knocking of the board, all PCB houses have limitations on the dimension tolerance they can hold too. Your board must have been 0.1mm short in the 'Y' dimension. If it was just that amount longer, the end plates would press against the PCB to prevent any movement. If the board was longer still, a gap would show between the end-plates and the extrusion.  We always ask our board house to hold very close tolerance, but there will always be +/- variation.  
Why do insist that it is a defect/fault? There are no loose parts. DON'T SHAKE YOUR AUDIO GEAR!  x-D

Users can now see for themselves and render their own judgements.

Indeed!

May we all get what we truly deserve...

Well it is up to the judgement of your credit card company. Since you filed the chargeback about 45 days ago, they received from me the very same e-mail chain as I posted above.

You can wait to see whose favor they rule in, or you can ship us back the UltraCap LPS-1.2 and receive the full $250 I offered you.

--Alex C.

P.S.  Is there a reason that you are making duplicate posts and replies about this on multiple forums? It is tedious to follow you around to make the same factual replies.  What a waste of my day. Perhaps that is your goal. ¬¬

6 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Careful - there also also the terms of the contract, and implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, and California consumer law is favorable to the consumer

Of course: https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/what-is-the-warranty-of-merchantability.html

We shipped him a brand new, perfectly functioning product. I found one of the photos he sent me of the screws he was not happy with:
998934566_YACheahLPS-1.2.jpg.1b73860ecb99b75de078c4420cff5782.jpg

Now talk to me about "merchantability." 9_9

16 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I first saw his post on the Roon forum and then here and it is reportedly on several others.

On the Roon forum too? O.o

Do you have a link? Though I am done and have said enough, I can at least paste my factual rebuttal there once. Maybe the Roon mods took the thread down because searching there does not turn it up.

So far he has repeated all his same posts at:

What’s Best Forum

Audiogon

Audio Asylum

xTremePlace

PS Audio Community (now removed)

Roon Community

I am sure there are other places around the web. Everyone can feel free to point them out to me. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, bilboda said:

I think op should just enjoy the music with perfectly functioning gear...

It was a fun and interesting read though...

Just to put a coda on this:

The credit card company sided with him, refunding his money and deducting from UpTone (plus extra fees). So in the end, this person got a brand new product for free—due to his spinning a tale of woe and complaining that the screws we not perfect. 

All I got was a headache chasing him around on a half-dozen web forums to keep the tar of his yarn from sulllying our reputation for customer-first service.

I guess that such was bound to occur—with one out of more than 6,000 customers over the past 5 years. Given that our e-commerce dashboard shows we have a 48.6% repeat client rate I ought not to be too concerned. :D