IGNORED

OT: Being Helpful

Jud

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

Reference to such explanations offered by Shunyata? Synergistic is known for “quantum” stuff but hadn’t seen Shunyata.

I can't (don't try to) remember which vendors use which words. Regardless, learning the basics will enable you to spot bullshit whether it uses the word quantum or something else, like electron realignment.

19 minutes ago, mansr said:

It's a manufacturer of overpriced audio accessories named after snakes.

OK, I had thought this thread was about learning about physics in your spare time.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Richard Feynmann's first 2 volumes are really interesting to read, but I found it hard to learn physics from them.  He taught at CalTech, so likely just assumed everybody would figure out the physics on their own.

He also solved a lot of Oppenheimer's equations, after they took him from the Univ. of Chicago in the middle of the night to go to Los Alamos.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Richard Feynmann's first 2 volumes are really interesting to read, but I found it hard to learn physics from them.  He taught at CalTech, so likely just assumed everybody would figure out the physics on their own.

He also solved a lot of Oppenheimer's equations, after they took him from the Univ. of Chicago in the middle of the night to go to Los Alamos.  I understand he was quite the jokester, and once propositioned Oppenheimer's wife at one of their weekly parties.  Her reply was: "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!".

6 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

He also solved a lot of Oppenheimer's equations, after they took him from the Univ. of Chicago in the middle of the night to go to Los Alamos.  I understand he was quite the jokester, and once propositioned Oppenheimer's wife at one of their weekly parties.  Her reply was: "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!".

Bongos baby - that's what it's all about

1 hour ago, Richard Dale said:

OK, I had thought this thread was about learning about physics in your spare time.

It's about being helpful.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

I understand he was quite the jokester, and once propositioned Oppenheimer's wife at one of their weekly parties.  Her reply was: "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!"

He had a reputation for being rather boorish around women, so that seems like a graceful way to deflect on her part.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

It thus follows the Internet Law of Thread Divergence.

It certainly seems to follow the Internet Law of Misquoting.

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

You expect me to read AND understand?

I didn’t say what Ralf11 represents as a quote from me, nor have I been able to find that language elsewhere in the thread.

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I was going to change "said" to 'didn't say' but this forum software denied that

You remember the use of quotation marks from English class, so not sure why you felt the need to try to play with the forum formatting, or post the result when it didn’t work, but hey, whatever.

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

biosailor - a good mathematics/physics text book to start with would be the Berkeley books series - that is what I used as a young physics major back in the Late Holocene.  You can stop with the sophomore sequence - Jr. year was quantum theory, not needed for audio.

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Another approach would be to go thru the physics textbooks that engineering students use.  In their physics courses, a simpler more conceptual approach is used (tho not the guff you find in physics for poets classes) so it ill be a lot easier (leading to many jokes about lookup tables).  Holliday & Resnick is an older one (we called it Holiday and Redneck).

Finally, re sailboats, you might find it fun to look at the literature on fluid dynamics - you can stop in the 1930s as the work went into supersonics at that point.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put my mind into it!

10 hours ago, mansr said:

Actually, do read a bit about quantum theory. Then you'll see that the "explanations" offered by Shunyata and that lot are utter nonsense.

I used to have quantum theory in my chemistry courses. Was the hardest bit I had to swallow ever! Don't know if I ever recovered from the shock 😀!

However, signal theory/DSP doesn't use quantum physics at all, if I am not mistaken.

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

I used to have quantum theory in my chemistry courses. Was the hardest bit I had to swallow ever! Don't know if I ever recovered from the shock 😀!

However, signal theory/DSP doesn't use quantum physics at all, if I am not mistaken.

No, that's just maths, and lots of it. In electronics, quantum physics is necessary to understand semiconductors. It also explains how metals work at the fundamental level, and while you don't need to care about that in everyday use, it makes the technobabble from the cable companies funnier.

3 hours ago, biosailor said:

Same here, but you'd have to come to Switzerland. Sailing on those moutain-like lakes is a dream!

IMG_0521.jpg

Loved sailing on Lake Pend Orielle in the Rocky Mountains in Idaho. We had Nutella so it was just like Switzerland! 😉

19 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I took this thread as going in a somewhat different direction.  I'll admit that the concepts below at first struck me as at least counter-intuitive, and at worst, crackpot.

But the crux is that cooperation trumps competition every time.

And yet you say there is no room for civility? Would that not be the first step in getting everyone to cooperate?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz