IGNORED

Capacitor life

3 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

Yes the SP9 has a strong family resemblance to the LS25, with the chunky switches and knobs. Some of the later ARC pre-amps look a bit cheap and nasty by comparison IMHO, such as this SP16:

audio-research-sp161.jpg

Chunkiness may be satisfying visually, and to the touch - but it doesn't guarantee adequate electrical integrity for optimum SQ. Personally, I would favour the the more recent preamp as possibly having a  better technical solution for controlling its functions.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Racerxnet said:

Can any of you guys identify the rotary selector switch used for the mid range setting. I am looking for a direct replacement before having to re-engineer the switch to the board. Upper left side of pic. The output to the midrange panel  is intermittent when wiggling it. 

This is a killer giveaway as to what may be degrading the SQ - the ol' weakest link in the chain will always determine the strength of the whole ...

55 minutes ago, Racerxnet said:

Do you know where I can find the single deck rotary switch? 3 position, right angle, through hole. That's the question. 

MAK

Looking around , I can see your problem ... why don't you speak to Genesis, ask them where they sourced them?

Personally, I would hard wire the desired setting, job done ...

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Looking around , I can see your problem ... why don't you speak to Genesis, ask them where they sourced them?

Personally, I would hard wire the desired setting, job done ...

People are so busy trying to read "ill motives" in what I say, that they miss what I saying, by a mile ... 😜. That is, I had a look around at online suppliers, for suitable switches - and they're hard to find ...

1 hour ago, Racerxnet said:

Whats my problem? I already have a reply to Gary Koh for the switch. If he cannot source it I have to improvise. Hard wiring it is a poor choice. What frequency should it be wired to? How can I select a different frequency if hard wired? Is there a reason it needs to be hard wired?

So, you've got it under control.

The frequency that you normally listen to it at - or do you get up and switch it, regularly?

Hard wiring removes the weakness of using that type of switch in a high end system.

Do you really think your position regarding the matter is a better engineered product that what Arnie Nudell and Paul McGowan have provided? I'd need hard data from you to find any credibility from what you state. What I do want is to identify the switch. It's place in the crossover network is transparent if properly speced and implemented.

MAK

They will use what they see as a reasonable part - but I would find the quality of it, "unreasonable". I find it remarkable that people can't conceive that the integrity of the complete path is necessary for a high performance system - but I've noted this remarkable inability to see something of poor quality, right next to some premium, costly thing many times ... there's a belief that some type of magic is infused in audio circuits, that means that something exotic will miraculously compensate for the lacking elsewhere - in software, writing a brilliant bit of code in the middle of the other mess that's infested with bugs, does zero to improve matters ...