Jump to content
Rt66indierock

Snake Oil Test

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

 

Always remember I'm into high performance audio not high end.

 Stephen

 I will put it to you that many members are fed up with the " Penis Envy" type posts about the High End by the usual suspects, instead of judging each item on it's own merits, heaven forbid, by actually listening to some in a well implemented room for example, with decent speakers carefully positioned  There is no way that I could ever afford some of the high end stuff that I have heard at friend's houses, although not all came close to anywhere near  justifying the asked price.

 

Alex


How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

 

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like junk to me.  Hope you didn't pay much.

 

Edit:  the price was right.

 

Edit 2:  damn you now you've got me looking at some Byron Morgan putters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

 

Can't argue with that. I just ordered a shaft for the head, it will be fun to play with it and see if it will help me make a few more putts.

It is just like audio - if you have expectation bias that it will help you, it will. 


Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.
 

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup and a RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not found that expectation bias helps in golf at all. Took the game up 2 years ago or so and it is hard. I am happy to have a 19 Handicap but when I try even more expensive clubs, I don’t play any better. As for putting, I find that the feel of the club to be very important. Now that is very subjective!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I have not found that expectation bias helps in golf at all. Took the game up 2 years ago or so and it is hard. I am happy to have a 19 Handicap but when I try even more expensive clubs, I don’t play any better. As for putting, I find that the feel of the club to be very important. Now that is very subjective!

You may  be right - but you don't  actually know what your expectation bias is. It's not necessarily what you imagine it to be in your conscious mind. 


Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.
 

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup and a RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps. However, with audio, your mind can imagine all sorts of things that may or may not be there. The golf ball on the other hand, does not lie 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, firedog said:

It is just like audio - if you have expectation bias that it will help you, it will. 

 

I have expectation bias until after a few practice sessions. Then  the rubber hits the road and I take it on a golf course. It works or it doesn't. 

 

In audio the first thing I do is play Pet Sounds. Then All the Young Dudes. Those two albums are pretty good at eliminating bias for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your handicap if you swing ten times and miss ten times at every hole?  That's my handicap.  😎

 

For some reason, no one ever wants to play golf with me.  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, firedog said:

You may  be right - but you don't  actually know what your expectation bias is. It's not necessarily what you imagine it to be in your conscious mind. 

 

In golf what your unconscious bias are is an interesting question. I'm building a set of Titleist 735 CM irons after testing a few irons. I can't think of a feature  in the build that doesn't involve conscious bias or objective measurement.  The objective  measurements will be verified Thursday with a Trackman session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

I have not found that expectation bias helps in golf at all. Took the game up 2 years ago or so and it is hard. I am happy to have a 19 Handicap but when I try even more expensive clubs, I don’t play any better. As for putting, I find that the feel of the club to be very important. Now that is very subjective!

 

I could go up the street and get the best PXG irons and wedges for the sum of $6,500 or $650 a club. I'm going to rebuild a set of Titleist 735 CM irons. They will cost $600 for a set 3-PW and be the best clubs money can buy for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not necessarily directed at you Rt66indierock, as you likely know all this stuff, but......

 

There are lots of variables at play in determining the "ideal" irons for any particular golfer.  Club head size and amount of perimeter weighting (players vs semi-game improvement, game improvement, super game improvement), proper club length given your height/arm length/stance, swing weight, proper lie angle, possible loft adjustments to obtain ideal ball flight, degree of bounce of the club sole, the type of sole grind, the golfers angle of attack (steep vs shallow), typical playing conditions (wet/soft vs harder turf), location of the center of gravity of the particular iron (measured by the vertical/horizontal/ relative depth location), the flex point of the shaft, the stiffness of the shaft, how the golfer loads the shaft (quick transition vs. smoother transistion) grip size- these aspects being more "objective" and measurable, and then more "subjective" variables such as the amount of offset visible at address and the "feel" of the club at impact which is mostly about sound.  

 

Sorry, now back to audio.


Home: EtherRegen + Farad Super3 LPS | UltraRendu + Uptone LPS 1.2 | Berkeley Alpha USB | Denafrips Terminator | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 x Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  

 

Desktop: Iso Regen + LPS 1 | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 monitors | Elac S10 sub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blake said:

This is not necessarily directed at you Rt66indierock, as you likely know all this stuff, but......

 

There are lots of variables at play in determining the "ideal" irons for any particular golfer.  Club head size and amount of perimeter weighting (players vs semi-game improvement, game improvement, super game improvement), proper club length given your height/arm length/stance, swing weight, proper lie angle, possible loft adjustments to obtain ideal ball flight, degree of bounce of the club sole, the type of sole grind, the golfers angle of attack (steep vs shallow), typical playing conditions (wet/soft vs harder turf), location of the center of gravity of the particular iron (measured by the vertical/horizontal/ relative depth location), the flex point of the shaft, the stiffness of the shaft, how the golfer loads the shaft (quick transition vs. smoother transistion) grip size- these aspects being more "objective" and measurable, and then more "subjective" variables such as the amount of offset visible at address and the "feel" of the club at impact which is mostly about sound.  

 

Sorry, now back to audio.

 

Offset is an objective fitting item otherwise nice list. And thank goodness  for Trackman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

 

Alex snake oil is deceptive marketing. Nice rant but I help people set up rooms at shows.

 

I hope that they are far better set up than the rooms I have been in at many Hi Fi shows !:D

You also appear to be taking perhaps more credit than is due in the war against MQA

 Chris appears to deserve quite a bit more credit in this area.


How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

 

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sandyk said:

 

I hope that they are far better set up than the rooms I have been in at many Hi Fi shows !:D

You also appear to be taking perhaps more credit than is due in the war against MQA

 Chris appears to deserve quite a bit more credit in this area.

 

Alex, i do damage control at shows. 

 

Just ask yourself when I was working on opposing MQA in 2016 with my friend the late Charles Hanson what was Chris going? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

 

Alex, i do damage control at shows. 

 

Just ask yourself when I was working on opposing MQA in 2016 with my friend the late Charles Hanson what was Chris going? 

 

Without the support of Chris you wouldn't have this huge thread where more importantly there has been technical exposes by both Mansr, Archimago and others, as well as user reports where the vast majority preferred the original NON MQA versions.


How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

 

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Without the support of Chris you wouldn't have this huge thread where more importantly there has been technical exposes by both Mansr, Archimago and others, as well as user reports where the vast majority preferred the original NON MQA versions.

Chris deserves credit for tolerating those threads even while he himself was favourable towards MQA. Eventually, he even changed his mind, something I believe he is alone in doing on that topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 4:00 PM, Ralf11 said:

Let us wait until the monster is truly dead before dividing up the spoils and credit for who cut its legs off while someone else was kicking it in the testicles.

 

That is why I want MQA Ltd liquidated and it hasn't happened yet. I'm going to keep working to achieve that goal. 

 

But I did a quick review last night of the technical problems of MQA before I wrote the "they are going to play racquetball with your liver" post in late 2016. Everyone Alex said did technical analysis and many others had started to criticize MQA before I posted "MQA is Vaportware" and I thank them.  It allowed me to focus on MQA marketing and issues with converting files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...