IGNORED

What is the craziest Audio related idea you have ever had?

58 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

that’s an interesting device, thanks for the link!

Less about the 5 w/ch device than the idea not being new.  Also exploring the idea to talk to an amp designer about whether a one off cord is technically a better decision than using a one off adapter.  You might even find someone crazy enough to remove the speaker terminals and install the desired headphone outputs.  

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

that’s an interesting device, thanks for the link!

im curious to know where this leads as well. Time will tell. I’ve tracked down a HiFiMan EF1000 and and a pair of Susvara headphones for a listen. I guess doing that will be step 1 

My own DIY Class A Preamplifier can do the same as the McCormack design, as it is powered from + and -20V supply rails and has a Bias current of 100mA, and can be biased to a higher current up to >200mA . However, not all headphones will sound their best when driven from such a low Output impedance, and some may sound too HF detailed. In that case, you can use additional series resistors at the L and R outputs when driving headphones.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

12 minutes ago, rando said:

Less about the 5 w/ch device than the idea not being new.  Also exploring the idea to talk to an amp designer about whether a one off cord is technically a better decision than using a one off adapter.  You might even find someone crazy enough to remove the speaker terminals and install the desired headphone outputs.  

I have already discussed this with Lucas from Lampizator...

No electron left behind.

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I just want my own power pole and utility sized transformer like that Japanese guy has.

He must have a lot of on

I read an article about this once, and apparently anyone in Japan can do it if you are willing to pay the utility provider for the privilege.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

25 minutes ago, firedog said:

I read an article about this once, and apparently anyone in Japan can do it if you are willing to pay the utility provider for the privilege.

I don't think anyone in Japan can,  I think only those who live in houses and willing to pay for the extra can install their own power poles and those who live in apartments cannot have its own power poles.

MetalNuts

On 1/4/2020 at 7:44 PM, AudioDoctor said:

I have been considering headphones for a while now, as they will let me listen to music with small kids in the house without waking them.

My kids are now in their early teens and I've never had problems.

I find it unlikely that children with healthy sleep habits will be disturbed by music. Just wait until they're fast asleep before you crank it up.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

4 hours ago, semente said:

My kids are now in their early teens and I've never had problems.

I find it unlikely that children with healthy sleep habits will be disturbed by music. Just wait until they're fast asleep before you crank it up.

I would imagine a lot depends upon the music, SPL and what the structure is built out of.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, 4est said:

This is pretty much true in America as well if you are willing to pay for it. I had my overhead aluminum/steel wires removed and replaced with underground copper. Underground for aesthetics and copper because it made me feel better about it. lol

Not to quote myself, but it can be really effing expensive to have the local power company do things unless you can prove that it's advantageous for them as well. I paid a private contractor as I upgraded my service. The power company had run some legs half a mile to get three phase to my new shop. Thankfully my $6-$700+/month business power bills made the numbers work for them. It would have been $30K+ for that otherwise I was told by their account exec.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On 1995, my computer had 16MB memory (memory costs $1200) and 420MB harddrive. I read an audio magazine article about a CD transport with digital out, it says : "Servo motor to move optical pick-up draws relatively large current and when it actuates, circuit power voltage temporally drops, this causes small temporal error of output digital signal, it is called jitter"

and I thought "Then store all the CD transport output data to the 650MB (Audio CD data size) memory buffer and when all the data is extracted from CD, turn off the CD transport and start sending data to DAC with pulling data from the memory buffer with clean clock timings without jitter caused by servo motor."

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

On 1/4/2020 at 8:44 PM, AudioDoctor said:

My wife thinks I am having mine right now...

I have been considering headphones for a while now, as they will let me listen to music with small kids in the house without waking them. Always a plus. So far I have made no moves in this direction, just thinking about options and where to begin at the moment. However, I have had an absolutely crazy idea...

The HiFiMan Susvara, besides being expensive, is also difficult to drive. So much so that HiFIMan themselves make an amp for it that puts over 10 watts into its 60 ohms and 83db efficiency rating. All Class A they say. It also puts 50 watts of class A at 8 ohms into speakers and 150 watts at 8 ohms in Class A/B. I am tempted to give this combo a try. But then I got to thinking... Because the Susvara requires so much power, there are actually a lot of amps that could drive them that are made for speakers if only there was a way to connect the two. taking this idea further, because the Susvara are a top of the line headphone, they should clearly be coupled with top of the line amplification, right? And then of course we're going to need top of the line sources...  I am sure you can see where this is going. One option is the Primaluna Evo400 of course. Pop in some bigger, more powerful tubes than the EL34s and you're golden... The EL34s put 11 watts into 32 ohms already. Tempting, but not crazy enough. You see, I recently had an opportunity to hear the Lampizator Pacific DAC and was blown away. This got me thinking. How great would a system made of the Lampizator Pacific DAC and their Pacific 211 Balanced mono blocks sound through the Susvara? I honestly don't know. Nor have I done the math yet to figure out how much that would cost and just how upset my wife would be. Rest assured though, she thinks I am nuts right now.

Share your stories.

I use speaker amps to drive all my headphones and have done that for the last four years without any problem. Before I used a Marantz PM11 and are now using a Simaudio Moon 600i, that like very much. If you planning on using a tube amp you should know that not all can be used directly without risk of damaging your ear, amp and headphone. The reason is that many tube amps need to have a constant load on the output and not all headphones provide that or that you disconnect the headphone while the amp is on.

6 hours ago, Summit said:

I use speaker amps to drive all my headphones and have done that for the last four years without any problem. Before I used a Marantz PM11 and are now using a Simaudio Moon 600i, that like very much. If you planning on using a tube amp you should know that not all can be used directly without risk of damaging your ear, amp and headphone. The reason is that many tube amps need to have a constant load on the output and not all headphones provide that or that you disconnect the headphone while the amp is on.

Thanks for the heads up, I will investigate that as well before plugging them in. I am glad that I’m not completely out in left field with this idea too. 

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

without question, the craziest Audio related idea I have ever had was to buy some spendy piece of gear without any listening tests to determine if it really improved SQ

- never done it tho

but...

doing that would seriously limit someone’s options at times. I think it’s best to find a seller with a good return policy who can be trusted. 

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Thanks for the heads up, I will investigate that as well before plugging them in. I am glad that I’m not completely out in left field with this idea too. 

If you intend doing this, you should do something like in the attached

15W Class A Amplifier p15a.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

17 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

That’s totally not clear...

I didn't want post the whole schematic for copyright reasons, but  they used a Stereo Headphone socket, insulated, Double Pole Double  Throw -Switched , with 330 ohm 1W  series resistors  fitted to the headphone side to protect both the headphones and the listener, as well as give a more suitable output level to the headphones .

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0074a-6.35mm-insulated-dpdt-stereo-jack-socket/

15W Class A Amplifier p23.jpg

Never mind.  Forget this post.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.