IGNORED

What is the craziest Audio related idea you have ever had?

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Class A tube car amp. I had very good Focal speakers in my car back in the 90s which I'm sure would have sounded just great with a good, tube amp. Actually the maker of my home stereo tube (6C33C tubes from the 80s used in MIG fighters, often used in BAT and Lamm amps) amp was ready to make it ('hmmm.. that would be some challenge') but I gave up the idea.. Frankly - I regret! :D

Might have looked like this 9_9

vk60.jpg

Just don't run the large inverter needed when the car isn't running !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

22 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

solar and wind?

Neither of these are suitable for reliability without battery storage, and even with Solar and Batteries used you rarely see anything more than a 5KW Inverter used, which is incapable of powering many electrical appliances .

OTOH, you could use Solar/Wind with battery storage for AV only, and continue using the A.C. mains supply for Cooking, Refrigeration, Air Conditioning etc.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

that’s an interesting device, thanks for the link!

im curious to know where this leads as well. Time will tell. I’ve tracked down a HiFiMan EF1000 and and a pair of Susvara headphones for a listen. I guess doing that will be step 1 

My own DIY Class A Preamplifier can do the same as the McCormack design, as it is powered from + and -20V supply rails and has a Bias current of 100mA, and can be biased to a higher current up to >200mA . However, not all headphones will sound their best when driven from such a low Output impedance, and some may sound too HF detailed. In that case, you can use additional series resistors at the L and R outputs when driving headphones.

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Thanks for the heads up, I will investigate that as well before plugging them in. I am glad that I’m not completely out in left field with this idea too. 

If you intend doing this, you should do something like in the attached

15W Class A Amplifier p15a.jpg

17 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

That’s totally not clear...

I didn't want post the whole schematic for copyright reasons, but  they used a Stereo Headphone socket, insulated, Double Pole Double  Throw -Switched , with 330 ohm 1W  series resistors  fitted to the headphone side to protect both the headphones and the listener, as well as give a more suitable output level to the headphones .

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0074a-6.35mm-insulated-dpdt-stereo-jack-socket/

15W Class A Amplifier p23.jpg

21 minutes ago, One and a half said:

What's the spec on the resistors, carbon, wire-wound or metal film? This Metal Film from Mouser is rated for 50ppm drift, so when push comes to shove, the resistor may not break down and the image should be pretty good.

They didn't specify with this one, but all other resistors are 1% MF.

What you have suggested would be ideal.

1 hour ago, 4est said:

In your case you could simply put the resistor between both of the positive(L&R) banana plugs and the positives (tip and ring) on the 1/4" TRS jack. It all looks more complex than it is. This stuff is available in screw termination as well. There is no NEED to know how to solder.

In this case though , you would have output coming from the speakers as well, not just the headphones, which is what is needed.

Silicon Chip magazine obviously thought that their wiring diagram would be adequate enough, even for novices.¬¬

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

I see that mentioned a lot when researching this. It may be headphone/amp specific. Lukasz said nothing about a resistor needed when connecting the Susvara to his 211 Pacific mono block amps. 

The S.C. diagram would enable people to retrofit a headphone jack to existing lower powered Power amplifiers .

With much higher power amplifiers, a simple headphone jack switch would not permit the use of the heavier gauge wiring needed to avoid losses. In that case you would ideally use a heavy duty relay for the switching.