IGNORED

Members Products of the Decade

12 minutes ago, loop7 said:

As an owner of the LS50W, I can really see your point on this. I didn't list them because I've only had them for 4-5 months but they seriously having me wonder if crossovers between amps and speaker drivers is flawed on many levels.

They’re active, but it’s more than that - they also have a built in streamer and DAC. Plus they have an option to output to subwoofers with a user controlled cross over point and level.

I use KEF R400b subwoofers which are active, but they don’t have their own DSP. I think subs like the Martin Logan Dynamo 800x with built in DSP room correction might be better if I was starting again.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

7 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

For my product of the decade I pick the Finite Element Pagoda Master Reference Rack. 

It makes anything it supports sound better, requires no adjustment once set-up and looks better as it ages. Its sonic signature is clarity, purity, naturalness and transparency. Unfortunately it’s no longer in production. 

I’ve got one of those and I agree it is a great equipment support, but I bought mine about 20 years ago. So it doesn’t really spring to mind to me as a product of the decade as I would have thought the category would only apply to products that were introduced in the last decade.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

9 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Again, it is important to keep in mind, that the very best, most highly regarded (and expensive) DACs are not delta-sigma; the dCS, the MSB, the Chords, etc. I don’t, of course, have any way to ascertain, if the criticisms leveled against delta-sigma sound are due to the fact that all of these kinds of DACs are Integrated Circuit chips, or if these criticisms are the result of flaws in that form of processing the digital signal.

As far as I know the Chord DACs use a very high end delta-sigma type of conversion implemented in FPGAs

11 hours ago, gmgraves said:

That certainly seems to be the conventional wisdom about IC implementation vs discreet components. It certainly used to be universally true, but today’s op amps are very close to what you can get with separate components, So, I suspect it’s just a matter of time before IC based DAC catch up to discrete ones like those made by a MSB and a few others. But the SabreDACs aren’t there yet if you ask me.

An FPGA like Chord use is an IC and is entirely digital. Discreet components are not used for digital circuitry such as logic gates, and haven’t been for some decades. OP amps are nothing to do with digital filters in DACs, although they might be used in the output stages.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, Ralf11 said:

For my product of the decade I pick this support system.  It is far more effective than any audiophile rack.

aa.jpg

Review of a Minus K Laboratory Isolation platform used as a turntable support here:

https://www.theanalogdept.com/minus_k.htm

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Since I spent more than thirty years in the semiconductor industry in Silicon Valley CA, I know that. I have used the software to program FPGAs as well as creating the programs for Mask Programmable Gate Arrays (MPGAs) many times. But thanks for clarifying for others here, just the same.🙂 

The point I was making is that a discussion about whether or not certain OP amps are discrete, has no connection with your original discussion about expensive DACs which didn’t use mass produced DAC chips.