IGNORED

Noise shifting from pcm to dsd

My besr friend bought a new Bryston BDP-3. It works and sounds great except on issue. When shifting from pcm to dsd there is a very disturbing short noise, like a "shortcut". The other way around is not a problem.  Unfortunately he does not get answers from Bryston. Anyone having an idea?

Hi Ropet,

Ticks or pops heard when switching between DSD and PCM is pretty common in DSD-capable DACs.  When the mode is switched, the DAC mode is changed or reset to play the new format which immediately sets the DAC's output to 0 before playback begins.  Since output preceding the transition is usually not 0, the tick/pop is often an event of going from some value to 0 immediately.  As each track and timing varies, this can turn into a tick or pop that's sometimes louder and sometimes quieter, but almost always fairly annoying unless dealt with in some way.

I've never heard this problem completely eliminated in a DSD-capable DAC, but there's things manufacturers do to reduce or mask it as much as possible to keep it minimized.  I can't speak for what Bryston does in their units, how bad this noise is that you're experiencing, or even if this is what you're encountering when you describe a "short noise", of course, but I'm afraid it's not likely a simple switch on your end to make it go away.

Cheers,

Ryan Berry

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

The BDP3 is a file player/streamer, not a DAC.  I would imagine the noise comes from whatever DAC is being used, rather than the BDP. I’ve experienced with various DACs,most likely  down to sound of relays switching and/or momentary drop out between dropping PCM and latching on to DSD stream,  Probably nothing to be concerned about.

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

@Norton 

Sorry, my mistake. It is a BDA-3 with AK 4490EQ dac. 

as above, it may be annoying but far from uncommon and I think nothing to be worried about.

However, in my experience Bryston’s customer service is exemplary.  If still concerned I’d suggest going back to the dealer as this is a new item, or else dropping James Tanner a PM at the Bryston Audiocircle: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=57.0