IGNORED

How to Describe What You Hear

I was going to reply to “the problem with subjective impressions” but perhaps this deserves a new topic. 

i subscribed to The Absolute Sound for many years, from the late 70s to the late 80s. That’s neither here nor there, other than what I learned from Harry Pearson and a number of other reviewers. 

And that is, you need to develop a vocabulary to be able to properly explain how and why this sounds different from that. 

There’s an entire descriptive universe between “it sucks” and “it rocks”, never mind blacker blacks and a lower noise floor. 

Wasn’t someone developing a matrix for audiophiles years ago to give some hints as to what all that torturous vocabulary is all about?

Maybe we need to do something like that over here at AS. 

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/audio-terminology-subjective-terms-used-on-superbaf.3400/

SBAF as a forum is not everyones cup of tea, but they consciously work at getting this language/descriptive aspect of audio reviews consistent.  Not only this, at least some of the regulars are more or less successful at practicing it.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 hours ago, crenca said:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/audio-terminology-subjective-terms-used-on-superbaf.3400/

SBAF as a forum is not everyones cup of tea, but they consciously work at getting this language/descriptive aspect of audio reviews consistent.  Not only this, at least some of the regulars are more or less successful at practicing it.

plankton is my favorite.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

A good snippet from that article is this,

Realism
Good: aliveness, ease, delicacy, involvement, musicality, naturalness, palpable, realism, transparency
Not Good: boring, colored, dead, distorted, lifeless, uninvolving

This is about as precise as anything about what I focus on, as written by someone else, that I've come across ...