IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

16 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

how much does these mods cost if one has to do it themselves? And what amount of skills do you need? Is it just an easy solder job? Would be great if you could show us pics of your mods. 

I have posted pictures of my mods go back mid to late April in this thread and you'll see them.  I have attached my order summary from parts connexcion so cost was around $110.  I used 10uF caps as that what was in the May, but as ExtremeBoky says you can use most any value and save a few more $.  I used spare wire I had for the AC Voltage selector bypass and bypassing the on/off switch is just removing some jumpers.  I highly recommend using 16ga wire for the AC mains in, 14ga wire required me to snip off a few strands so I could fit in the holes of the PCB.  The KTE uses silver wire, I used very good copper wire, EB suggests silver ribbon wire, not the easiest to source and way more expensive.

Now opening the May, both PSU and main dac requires a lot of screw removal and there are some pics on Kitsune website how to open a Spring dac, the process for the May is pretty similar.  To solder AC wires direct to the PCB you need a good soldering iron and good solder as well as solder removal skills and preferably a desolder tool to get the 6 position plug out.  If you have one it is not difficult, but be careful non the less.  To get to the undersides of the boards to solder and de-solder you also need to remove the bottom of each unit.  For the dac that means removing the dac modules, the USB module and a lot of screws, much care and very clear thought required to do this.  Then it is just de-solder the 2 Vishay grey caps and solder in the replacements.  The Auricap XO is a very very good cap but has two wires off each end and I also needed to trim some strands from each to fit in the PCB holes.

If you have the experience and skills and good tools it is a very easy mod.  If not then I suggest not doing it as bad things can happen.  For me who has lots of DIY experience it was one of the easier mods I have done.  The sonic results are well above the cost to do it.  Although it could technically void your warranty, That would be a kitsune/Holo call.

1617763114_Maypartslist.thumb.jpg.0b4a986f4a1012cfaa9b011cc57aac06.jpg

On 7/4/2021 at 11:33 PM, madfonzy said:

Hey mate just get a RPi4, load Ropieee and connect via USB.  This will be you cheapest option.  This is what I have been running with Roon and KTE with no locking delay issues.

And no sound quality issues? The USB signal from the RPi is famous for not being great. But at the same time the Holo’s USB should be.

Hey guys, can someone explain to me how to get rid of the PLL locking delay? I find it very annoying because every time I play a new song from Roon that is a different sample rate , the May goes on “locking” for a few seconds  so I miss the first 3/4 seconds of the new song.

my source is an Allo Digione via SPDIF.

is the only solution to disable the PLL? Won’t it compromise sound quality?

18 minutes ago, damascato said:

Yes, especially if it takes a long time to lock.  Long locking time is an indication that your source is high jitter, a lower jitter source will lock more quickly.  Get a better source if you want to use the PLL and have it lock more quickly; if you turn off the PLL with a source with high jitter, then you will have degraded sound quality, the PLL when on, will clean up most of the jitter of the source.

In the mean time, try setting a long buffer in Roon, at least then it might lock before the next song in the playlist starts.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

Yes, especially if it takes a long time to lock.  Long locking time is an indication that your source is high jitter, a lower jitter source will lock more quickly.  Get a better source if you want to use the PLL and have it lock more quickly; if you turn off the PLL with a source with high jitter, then you will have degraded sound quality, the PLL when on, will clean up most of the jitter of the source.

In the mean time, try setting a long buffer in Roon, at least then it might lock before the next song in the playlist starts.

The longer buffer is a good idea, thanks.

I'm surprised that an Allo Digione has such a high jitter, though... 🤔

2 hours ago, damascato said:

someone explain to me how to get rid of the PLL locking delay

I've had my holo may since March 31 and I have no PLL locking issues whatsoever, yes it is on.  I use a custom built PC (built by me) and direct connect to the May via USB.  Roon as my cataloging database and HQP as my roon output.  Buffer set to auto in HQP.  I never see any Locking issues on my display even when different base formats are sent to HQP from roon.  I run HQP at native rates (same as roon sends to HQP), High PCM rates and high DSD rates.  No issues.  The Allo Digione must have very high jitter levels.  May dac has been measured and found to be one of the very best ever measured.

2 minutes ago, Quadman said:

I've had my holo may since March 31 and I have no PLL locking issues whatsoever, yes it is on.  I use a custom built PC (built by me) and direct connect to the May via USB.  Roon as my cataloging database and HQP as my roon output.  Buffer set to auto in HQP.  I never see any Locking issues on my display even when different base formats are sent to HQP from roon.  I run HQP at native rates (same as roon sends to HQP), High PCM rates and high DSD rates.  No issues.  The Allo Digione must have very high jitter levels.  May dac has been measured and found to be one of the very best ever measured.

That’s because USB on the May doesn’t have that issue. Every other input does.

2 hours ago, damascato said:

Hey guys, can someone explain to me how to get rid of the PLL locking delay? I find it very annoying because every time I play a new song from Roon that is a different sample rate , the May goes on “locking” for a few seconds  so I miss the first 3/4 seconds of the new song.

my source is an Allo Digione via SPDIF.

Two solutions are to either use usb (likely the best option. May usb is superb) or turn off pll

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

19 hours ago, damascato said:

And no sound quality issues? The USB signal from the RPi is famous for not being great. But at the same time the Holo’s USB should be.

you're thinking about the rpi3 which had a shared bus (usb and ethernet).  the rpi4 fixed this issues and is considered a very good device.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

The May KTE is just amazing. 

I was listening to G Gloud in Bach 2 and 3 parts inventions, and something sounded wrong. I have had this cd forever and never noticed anything. Turns out Gould modded his Steinway piano and that’s why it doesn’t sound like the Steinways I hear at concerts.

Amazing. 

@GoldenOne your reviews are, unlike the large majority, really worth listening to.

But is there a way to restrain/restrict your head movements? They induce a bit of nausea I'm affraid and don't make the viewing experience any more natural/realistic.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I've had the May KTE/L3 since March, 2800 hours. Today I flipped the fuse and after 15 mins. flipped it back. They got it right from shop. It was clearly different, less coherent. Flipped back and normalcy resumed. FWIW, the gold end down is my preferred and the way it came.

Well, @GoldenOne better be getting a commission because he sold another May KTE today. 

I currently have a DF Venus II and Ian Canada DDC. I am very happy with the overall sound, however I have a couple niggles:

I get a "click" or glitch every so often on the i2S input. Doesn't happen on USB, and it's happened with multiple i2S sources. I've worked with Alvin to remedy but no dice. It's not necessarily a dealbreaker but it does create a bit of a distraction like... "is it gonna do it?" Takes me out of the experience, I'm sad to say.

And then the whole NOS-but-not-NOS thing isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying, and I do use HQPlayer with a custom PC spec'd to do highend DSD and PCM filters. 

So, I decided to order a May KTE today. Not sure what the current lead times are looking like, but I can be patient, not a huge deal. 

I'm using a Pi4 with HQP NAA image, fiber optical Ethernet converters into my room and powering it with a LifePO4 battery PSU from Ian Canada. USB cable is a dual head model from Ghent. Overall I'm super excited, as May should complement my tastes and my other equipment really well.

The real loser here is my vinyl setup. It will, once again, continue to collect dust, I'm afraid.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

3 minutes ago, toddrhodes said:

Well, @GoldenOne better be getting a commission because he sold another May KTE today. 

I currently have a DF Venus II and Ian Canada DDC. I am very happy with the overall sound, however I have a couple niggles:

I get a "click" or glitch every so often on the i2S input. Doesn't happen on USB, and it's happened with multiple i2S sources. I've worked with Alvin to remedy but no dice. It's not necessarily a dealbreaker but it does create a bit of a distraction like... "is it gonna do it?" Takes me out of the experience, I'm sad to say.

And then the whole NOS-but-not-NOS thing isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying, and I do use HQPlayer with a custom PC spec'd to do highend DSD and PCM filters. 

So, I decided to order a May KTE today. Not sure what the current lead times are looking like, but I can be patient, not a huge deal. 

I'm using a Pi4 with HQP NAA image, fiber optical Ethernet converters into my room and powering it with a LifePO4 battery PSU from Ian Canada. USB cable is a dual head model from Ghent. Overall I'm super excited, as May should complement my tastes and my other equipment really well.

The real loser here is my vinyl setup. It will, once again, continue to collect dust, I'm afraid.

About 6 weeks lead time. And I spoke to Tim about using a pi and he said don't bother, I wouldn't. Which is no surprise. The PLL in their dacs is better then the ones in most streamers lol

2 minutes ago, KenMoreira said:

About 6 weeks lead time. And I spoke to Tim about using a pi and he said don't bother, I wouldn't. Which is no surprise. The PLL in their dacs is better then the ones in most streamers lol

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why wouldn't I use a Pi4? Is he suggesting to just connect directly from a PC to May? That's not necessarily possible in my case. I could make it work, but having a Pi as an HQP NAA makes way more sense.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

6 minutes ago, KenMoreira said:

So what was suggested to transport music to it?

Ok so, basically he's not saying that don't do it. But keep in mind, you'll almost surely not be able to upsample to the dac max. 

When I asked if I should still use my allo usbridge signature with allo shanti lps. 

"I wouldn't, the PLL in the new line of usb inputs is superior on our devices" 

So if you have your pc in a different room I don't think it would significantly hurt you, I understand it's far more convenient.  It just might limit some aspects. 

Definitely A/B if possible?  I plan to. 

Interesting. I can upsample to DSD512 and PCM1.5 (is that fs32?) on my Venus II via direct output of Pi4 --> USB --> Venus II, using the HQP NAA image. So I know the Pi is capable of outputting it, at least. How the May reconciles/allows that from its end, I can't say. 

I CAN put the PC next to it. It's just, well, loud :) And my concern there is that nothing has been done in that PC to make it electrically quiet and it's a bit too muscular (CPU, GPU, Fans) for an LPSU to work with it. 

Very interesting, either way. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, KenMoreira said:

Ok so, basically he's not saying that don't do it. But keep in mind, you'll almost surely not be able to upsample to the dac max. 

When I asked if I should still use my allo usbridge signature with allo shanti lps. 

"I wouldn't, the PLL in the new line of usb inputs is superior on our devices" 

So if you have your pc in a different room I don't think it would significantly hurt you, I understand it's far more convenient.  It just might limit some aspects. 

Definitely A/B if possible?  I plan to. 

The great advantage using the USB is that the PLL locking delay would be avoided (and for me it's been a bit annoying when sample rate changed).

I had confirmation from multiple sources about how great is the USB implementation on the May, so I might as well try it straight from a Pi USB.

I think he is most likely talking about the Titanis 2.0 usb module that is used in the May Level 2 and May KTE, and the new Spring 3 KTE.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, toddrhodes said:

Interesting. I can upsample to DSD512 and PCM1.5 (is that fs32?) on my Venus II via direct output of Pi4 --> USB --> Venus II, using the HQP NAA image. So I know the Pi is capable of outputting it, at least. How the May reconciles/allows that from its end, I can't say. 

I CAN put the PC next to it. It's just, well, loud :) And my concern there is that nothing has been done in that PC to make it electrically quiet and it's a bit too muscular (CPU, GPU, Fans) for an LPSU to work with it. 

Very interesting, either way. Thanks!

I'll try my allo when my dac arrives n see how it goes for me