IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

Preamp (and amp) with input tubes, convolution processing and drive subs high-level from amp. I'm into all of it. I wouldn't be without some tubes in the chain nor without convolution for room fixing. And now add Holo May dac to this list! 550h and she's really coming into her own.

Subs simply sound and blend dramatically better when driven with the exact signal as the mains. I use a Jensen transformer as my subs don't have high-level inputs. Works a treat.

I use HQPe digital attenuation into the May to great effect with a tube preamp. It allows me to get my preamp gain stage at it's optimal SNR and simply sound its best.

I did the same thing with my previous dac with a volume control. It's noise floor was not fixed so I would find where it worked well along with attenuation in HQPe combined with same preamp.

Getting the gain stages in their sweet spot is key to the 'magic' for me.

Yes, they ship with 30.14 and you need 30.12 to enable 1.4/1.5MHz PCM or DSD1024. However, I doubt the Stack Audio Link II has an Intel/Aletra USB controller. It could just unlikely.

Only way to know is try it. You will need a Windows PC or VM running to update the firmware. It takes about 20 secs. once you've mastered the interface of the updater tool.

Not a Zenith but I've gone from a Pink Faun 2.16 to a 2017 Dell PC to a Intel Atom

(https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html)

also available at Mouser. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AAEON-UP/UP-GWS01-A20-1432-A11?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiqPaKHsTvEIjDEYu4O6sHmLjD52%2BUzjidN3XUuBDi9QCRZsVSwAsJS

I only had the motherboard USB ports on the Pink Faun (no fancy USB PCI-e board to try) and they were limited to 768 but didn't sound any better or worse than the PC...so much the same I sold the Pink Faun. Yesterday, I received the Intel Atom device powered by a decent smps and it's just a touch smoother/nicer/better than the Dell PC. To me it's the perfect HQP NAA endpoint to pair with the May.

Hope this helps while you wait for May delivery. It's well worth the wait!

It does 1.5MHz PCM without issue. Keep in mind, in each setup I have HQPe running on yet another PC as well as Roon Server also on it's own PC. I've only changed the NAA endpoint. I would focus on a good NAA endpoint and NOT have HQP PC connected via USB to dac. The network brings with it isolation.

13 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Do they or can they work together? I thought Roon took over when a Roon output was chosen.

They don't work together, they both should show as a zone in Roon. Choose one or the other to play. Sounds like you have a single PC with Roon and HQP connected via USB to the dac? This will certainly work but I think it's not ideal. A NAA device of low power/noise should buffer the Roon/HQP PC and the dac.

I would stick with USB boot and remove the SSD from the system unless you want to keep Roon there I suppose. It can only make noise. I've never found much value in the AO or Fidelizer-type stuff. I do own Fidelizer but have never tried AO.

I just disable any services I know I don't need and call it good or use a purpose built OS like HQPe OS and NAA.

I'm trying Euphony hosting NAA now. I've found it won't do 1.5Mhz though, only 768khz. Sounds good though. Will switch back to NAA OS and compare before committing to purchase.

After a couple hours with Euphony hosting NAA at 768khz (max rate), I switched back to bootable NAA OS running at 1.5Mhz. Yeah, I don't hear any difference that would cause me to pay for Euphony. Both sound equally fantastic and the same.

I try it again in a week or so to eliminate the variable of 'how I feel today'. It's quick and easy to switch so no reason not to and maybe I'll be surprised.

4 hours ago, Jean Paul D said:

This being, if S3 is really reaching the asymptote, I might stretch the budget 

If I was budget constrained, I would wait for the S3 to become available and snag a S2L2 or L3 and call it  a day for a couple years. This is very likely very close to asymptote (new word for me, had to look it up) and very high value. 

Oh man...those copper fox board covers are the real thing that makes it so good! Dang. I should probably pop the cover to make sure I got them. 717 hours and it's simply sublime. I like 'almost an endgame dac'. Best to leave that door open just a little but I can see sticking with the May for 3+ years before I know it's gone.

I'm enjoying mostly PCM but 256 5EC poly-sinc-l isn't bad. The DSD 'side' has improved with some play time. I don't think I can manage any 512 but it's a 2017 office-type Dell PC. I do get a little snap between tracks even though it remains DSD from HQPe, i.e. not switching from PCM to DSD. DSD still lacks the dynamics of PCM for me.

Super happy with Jussi recommended NAA. UP gateway Intel Cherry Trail SoC.

I have not tried the other 3 ports to compare. As the CPU is the only controller, it's unlikely there is any difference between the four ports. Perhaps using the two closer to the system board could be slightly less subject to RFI/EMI but it would be very little difference. Of course, it costs nothing but time to try. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/mobile-devices/platforms/cherry-trail/overview.html

and this from Kitsune website. It's rather ambiguous 'based on R2R however we don’t refer to it as R2R since the design is far superior.'

'The May DAC is the most recent product and is capable of DSD native on an Discrete Resister Ladder DAC!  This May DAC is capable of DSD1024 native and actually running on his bespoke discrete ladder DAC! This is a unique custom build discrete resistor network dac with linear compensation and advanced architecture based on R2R however we don’t refer to it as R2R since the design is far superior.'

Regardless of the tech, it sounds wonderful.

Your work is solid. Well done. 8.5' you lucky son of a gun. Best I can manage is 3.5' and I'm too close to my back wall.

My KTE has 763 hours of continuous play save for 3 times I've powered it down for 4-8 hours. If for no other reason than to verify it starts up from cold without issue. I suspect component failures will be exceedingly low on the Holo gear. 

For my ear and room we really liking the dynamics and punch of 1.5M PCM. It is very nice however my HQPe hw can't do better than DSD256 5EC which I find to lack the hit of high-rate PCM. Like the middle core muscles have been made smaller/weaker. The treble extension is also softer. It's there but I can't hear as much of it. 54 years with some hearing damage in each ear but different damage in each ear. My setup is asymmetrical too.

We all hear and process audio information differently and of course we're all in different spaces. I think this dac is true. What bits go in comes out fundamentally how it was.

I would hope they are 105C but still, 85C should last a good many years as it's only 38C on the outer surface and I would expect exactly the same inside. After an hour or so of being powered on the temp doesn't change.

image.thumb.png.864b0433a9eca2638edb7b98df650d62.png

This pic shows 105C.

699211432_ScreenShot2021-04-21at4_19_05PM.thumb.jpg.455eade6446a0251db2306d3d3ca5f7e.jpg