IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

Sorry folks, I have to say that last night listening was simply amazing. I did one further tweak adding a Synergistic fuse to my integrated. Fancy fuse or no fancy fuse, after one song for 15 minutes I was laughing so hard, my wife and 10 year old thought I had lost it. They sat down and it was game on.

Jack Johnson - Rodeo Clowns; Music was coming at me in ways I thought not possible. My setting was NOS but when I switch to OS I get a tighter more focused image. I left it at NOS. This song set about my hysterical laughter. My 10 year took control and queued up The Stones - Ruby Tuesday. A very good choice as often times folks get focused on reference recordings and forget about some good old yesteryear tunes. It was the same familiar song, not altered to the point of changed, a good sign, and we were all singing Ruby Tuesday, immersed in the melody while still being aware of an idea of being in the studio. Jr then queued Coldplay's Paradise. The sheer size of this recording was astonishing. Not a reference recording by any means but the May sort of forced reference on you. Death Cab for Cutie - Title and Registration. I love this song but last night it was a new connection emotionally. There's much more information and bandwidth but the May does not detract from the emotional connection to the song. I thought then, lets really challenge the May. U2. 

It was 1983, I'm driving back from a ski trip with a carload full of friends. A song came on the radio, After about 15 seconds I told everyone to be quiet and listen to this song. I didn't know who it was but I caught the words 'New Years day'. Took my 6 months to discover what group played that song. Last night I queued up that song. It wasn't right. It was a typical flat sounding U2 recording but a brilliant song. I switched the May to DSD and that turned that crappy recording into magic. I've been finding it interesting that the I actually use the various filters on the May, not just focused on one. My wife likes OS, Jr likes NOS because he often points out sounds coming from well outside the speakers. Jr can really get into it when he's feeling it as seen in this video.

I've been going Dac to amplifiers for years, up until I bought the Kinki Studio M1+, a relatively modest outlay of cash. I wanted the Luxman 900 series amp, preamp but for $3K and the ability to roll opamps I said WTF. It's popular and I can easily sell it. Not anytime soon. I've built countless systems over the 55 years and I'm not done yet. I am holding the May DAC in high esteem, maybe best audio purchase ever. And now I need to get acquainted with HQP, its settings and is it possible to extract more goodness from the May?

So I've finally installed HQPlayer and am playing with it.  I've transferred my parametric EQ settings from Roon to the Pipeline setup using a txt file.  Doesn't sound the same, but I'll work with that more later.  

I have been able to get PCM output to 768Khz  and DSD output to 512.  When I go above 768Khz, I get garbage coming out.  What's the settings that you guys are using to get 1.5M output?  I've got a powerful PC.

4 hours ago, John Hughes said:

I have been able to get PCM output to 768Khz  and DSD output to 512.  When I go above 768Khz, I get garbage coming out.  What's the settings that you guys are using to get 1.5M output?  I've got a powerful PC.

Did you change the firmware from version 30.14 to 30.12? And then there was something about that Intel USB ports are prefered.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

9 hours ago, John Hughes said:

What's the settings that you guys are using to get 1.5M output?

In the holo driver control panel, about, you can see what firmware version you have installed.  It needs to be 30.12 to get 1.5Mhz or DSD1024.  In the downloads off the kitsune site there is a text document giving brief instructions on how to update firmware and a package for firmware 30.12.

Yes, they ship with 30.14 and you need 30.12 to enable 1.4/1.5MHz PCM or DSD1024. However, I doubt the Stack Audio Link II has an Intel/Aletra USB controller. It could just unlikely.

Only way to know is try it. You will need a Windows PC or VM running to update the firmware. It takes about 20 secs. once you've mastered the interface of the updater tool.

Hello all

I just signed up but have been following the tread for months. Your experienced with the May dac has been part of the reason I had to have one.

Last night Magna just confirmed my KTE was ready to ship and I cant wait to get it in my system. It will be replacing my RME ADI-2 DAC FS which is a good dac but sounds a bit to harch with my STAX SR-009.

Reading your experiences with hqplayer it got me thinking if my Innuos Zenith mk3 (steaming from a ROON ROCK server) would be outclassed by a good hqplayer PC upsampling to 1.5MHz or DSD1024... Anybody who has compared the Zenith with hqplayer running on a PC?

Roon ROCK server (NUC10i7FNH) -> Etherregen (Powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU) -> Innuos Zenith Mk3 running HQPlayer -> Tellurium Ultra Silver -> Holo Audio KTE May DAC -> Tellurium Ultra Black XLR -> KGSSHV Carbon -> STAX SR-009.

Audio components all connected to a PS Audio PowerPlant 3 via Tellurium Black.

Not a Zenith but I've gone from a Pink Faun 2.16 to a 2017 Dell PC to a Intel Atom

(https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html)

also available at Mouser. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AAEON-UP/UP-GWS01-A20-1432-A11?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiqPaKHsTvEIjDEYu4O6sHmLjD52%2BUzjidN3XUuBDi9QCRZsVSwAsJS

I only had the motherboard USB ports on the Pink Faun (no fancy USB PCI-e board to try) and they were limited to 768 but didn't sound any better or worse than the PC...so much the same I sold the Pink Faun. Yesterday, I received the Intel Atom device powered by a decent smps and it's just a touch smoother/nicer/better than the Dell PC. To me it's the perfect HQP NAA endpoint to pair with the May.

Hope this helps while you wait for May delivery. It's well worth the wait!

It does 1.5MHz PCM without issue. Keep in mind, in each setup I have HQPe running on yet another PC as well as Roon Server also on it's own PC. I've only changed the NAA endpoint. I would focus on a good NAA endpoint and NOT have HQP PC connected via USB to dac. The network brings with it isolation.

12 hours ago, lpost said:

Not a Zenith but I've gone from a Pink Faun 2.16 to a 2017 Dell PC to a Intel Atom

(https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html)

also available at Mouser. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AAEON-UP/UP-GWS01-A20-1432-A11?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiqPaKHsTvEIjDEYu4O6sHmLjD52%2BUzjidN3XUuBDi9QCRZsVSwAsJS

I only had the motherboard USB ports on the Pink Faun (no fancy USB PCI-e board to try) and they were limited to 768 but didn't sound any better or worse than the PC...so much the same I sold the Pink Faun. Yesterday, I received the Intel Atom device powered by a decent smps and it's just a touch smoother/nicer/better than the Dell PC. To me it's the perfect HQP NAA endpoint to pair with the May.

Hope this helps while you wait for May delivery. It's well worth the wait!

It does 1.5MHz PCM without issue. Keep in mind, in each setup I have HQPe running on yet another PC as well as Roon Server also on it's own PC. I've only changed the NAA endpoint. I would focus on a good NAA endpoint and NOT have HQP PC connected via USB to dac. The network brings with it isolation.

Thanks for the input lpost

So you would have a Roon server streaming to a hqplayer PC/server steaming to a NAA endpoint - is that correctly understood?

Since the Innuos is basically a purpose build PC I wonder if it could run as a NAA endpoint? The Innuos clearly outperforms a PC as a Roon endpoint so I would assume the same would be the case if it could work as a NAA endpoint. I have tried to Google it but haven't found any official support or HowTo. Does anybody have any experience with this or the performance of Innuos products in combination with the May dac?

Roon ROCK server (NUC10i7FNH) -> Etherregen (Powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU) -> Innuos Zenith Mk3 running HQPlayer -> Tellurium Ultra Silver -> Holo Audio KTE May DAC -> Tellurium Ultra Black XLR -> KGSSHV Carbon -> STAX SR-009.

Audio components all connected to a PS Audio PowerPlant 3 via Tellurium Black.

I've got my music server up and running and have been playing around inside HQPlayer settings. I'm using 20bit and 1.536M and my modulator is AMSDM7EC 512+sf, dirther is TPDF and I honestly don't remember why I used that setting.

God Bless you all for figuring out the multitude of combinations of settings. My feet are still getting wet. 

Inside of Roon I only had HQPlayer enabled. I then enabled Holoaudio Spring 2 DAC KTE level 3. I thought I would no longer  see 1.536m but it was still there. I then realized that both HQP and the aforementioned Spring DAC was enabled. Do they or can they work together? I thought Roon took over when a Roon output was chosen.

13 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Do they or can they work together? I thought Roon took over when a Roon output was chosen.

They don't work together, they both should show as a zone in Roon. Choose one or the other to play. Sounds like you have a single PC with Roon and HQP connected via USB to the dac? This will certainly work but I think it's not ideal. A NAA device of low power/noise should buffer the Roon/HQP PC and the dac.

Yes I do, both programs operating inside my Sigao music server. I still don't understand the relationship between having the HQP and Roon selected as output devices.

But as you mentioned, having programs run separately from 2 different servers may be ideal. I have a Small Green Computer Linux box collecting dust. I'll use that for the Roon core, which was its old job, and it least it is coupled with a very nice LPS.

I wouldn't say the changes I made yesterday, moving OS to a PCIe SSD on MB and AudioOptimizer was a step forward. Seem to have lost soundstage depth but really hadn't had the time to evaluate my system as I had to decide, rather urgently, on a home theatre speaker system. Walls are framed, electrical going in which means cutouts for speakers and speaker cables, HDMI, CATxx and fiber need to be run.

Thanks for your insight.

I would stick with USB boot and remove the SSD from the system unless you want to keep Roon there I suppose. It can only make noise. I've never found much value in the AO or Fidelizer-type stuff. I do own Fidelizer but have never tried AO.

I just disable any services I know I don't need and call it good or use a purpose built OS like HQPe OS and NAA.

I'm trying Euphony hosting NAA now. I've found it won't do 1.5Mhz though, only 768khz. Sounds good though. Will switch back to NAA OS and compare before committing to purchase.

After a couple hours with Euphony hosting NAA at 768khz (max rate), I switched back to bootable NAA OS running at 1.5Mhz. Yeah, I don't hear any difference that would cause me to pay for Euphony. Both sound equally fantastic and the same.

I try it again in a week or so to eliminate the variable of 'how I feel today'. It's quick and easy to switch so no reason not to and maybe I'll be surprised.

I was looking for whatever thread it was in, because there are so many across so many sites, that you posted some nice pics of how driving the PCM into the Spring/May resistor network this way (20-bit, noise-shaped, high-rate) really cleans up the low-level performance and takes advantage of the inherently low noise of the design. I will be curious to see what the limits of the May design will be fed DSD at the speculative 1024 and 2048x once we have hardware to produce the signals with the best modulators.  Like with the AKM4499, which seems to prefer 256x over 512 (but who knows what they use on-chip for resistors, are they switched capacitors or current sources to save space...), there is probably a sweet spot for driving the May in PCM and DSD as well; that spot that produces the cleanest floor and lowest IMD, etc. You have to be tempted to buy one by now...

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

17 minutes ago, scintilla said:

I was looking for whatever thread it was in, because there are so many across so many sites, that you posted some nice pics of how driving the PCM into the Spring/May resistor network this way (20-bit, noise-shaped, high-rate) really cleans up the low-level performance and takes advantage of the inherently low noise of the design. I will be curious to see what the limits of the May design will be fed DSD at the speculative 1024 and 2048x once we have hardware to produce the signals with the best modulators.  Like with the AKM4499, which seems to prefer 256x over 512 (but who knows what they use on-chip for resistors, are they switched capacitors or current sources to save space...), there is probably a sweet spot for driving the May in PCM and DSD as well; that spot that produces the cleanest floor and lowest IMD, etc. You have to be tempted to buy one by now...

At the moment May is too expensive for my current R&D budget for buying DACs. The tunings for Spring 2 also match May the same way though. May is just otherwise better. I hope I can obtain a Spring 3 though when such arrives.

From testing point of view, DSD1024 with best modulators is not a problem since I can process the test signal conversions offline with HQPlayer Pro.

In DSD mode, DSD256 is sweet spot for Spring 2. In PCM mode, the 1.4112/1.536M 20-bit is sweet spot. For May, I would need to have the device to measure if it is the same, but I'd say it likely is.

AKM chips have traditionally been switched capacitor. Same for Cirrus Logic.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

AKM chips have traditionally been switched capacitor. Same for Cirrus Logic.

This is where the AKM 4499 is different, it is a switched resistor DAC with current output, unlike previous AKM chips which are switched capacitor and have voltage output.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio