IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

7 hours ago, reeve_mike said:

@Miska I note that you use the May's maximum PCM rate but a somewhat lower than maximum DSD rate.  Would you be willing to share the reason for sticking to DSD256?

I don't use Holo Audio DACs in PCM mode for anything else than testing.

But the DSD mode performs best at DSD256 which is also maximum you can do with current hardware and EC modulators.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 minutes ago, damascato said:

Hey guys, while waiting for a Usbridge, I tried to connect the May via USB to my MacBook Pro (with an usbA—>C adapter).

When putting the Tidal app in exclusive mode, the volume becomes all of a sudden incredibly low so that to have a decent listening level I need to crank up my amp almost to max (which is not what usually does, it’s a Hegel 190).

when I had the May connected vis coax to a usbridge this never happened.

any ideas/tip?

Your May has volume control?

5 minutes ago, damascato said:

i don't really think that the May has any volume control.

I was just wondering if there was a pre-amp module variant of it like there is for Spring 3.

In any case, if there's a digital volume control or similar, it could be controlled through USB and have low default value... So go to sound preferences, or Audio & MIDI Settings and check if there's some volume control...

Technically USB Audio Class has such capability, while S/PDIF doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, luisma said:

Went to 30.12 to be able to do PCM 1536, it plays at like half speed when upsampling PCM and distorted, I am assuming this is because of older gen 6th gen Intel renderer NAA device.

Anyone care to recommend what to use as NAA to do PCM 1536? sometimes small cheap and simple?

What do you run NAA on? NAA OS image?

11 hours ago, Cogito said:

Sinc L is the best filter in HQP IMO. It works fine for pcm output, but for converting pcm 44.1 to DSD 512, it is choking on my system powered by Ryzen 9 5900x.  Jussi says its because Sinc L is suing 32 mil taps in that configuration.  

Now that I calculated I got 64M taps, but anyway processing that many taps at 20+ MHz sampling rate is quite a lot of processing work. It may work on a very powerful GPU though.

7 hours ago, pis99 said:

Could you point me to an embedded version that I can buy to work with powerful GPU from my son's gaming desktop? It is I7-10700F/32G/Z590/RTX3090 with wired ethernet on the motherboard. I know nothing about linux but do want to try embedded version. I already have desktop version running on Mac M1. 

You need Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS for HQPlayer Embedded with CUDA support (Nvidia GPU). And install latest Nvidia drivers on it. It is a bit easier to setup Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS and HQPlayer Desktop if you are not familiar with Linux. You can have Windows + Linux dual-boot on the same machine, I have such setup for example on my work laptop.

You could also check the performance on Windows 10, if the computer already has Windows. With latest Nvidia drivers you can check the CUDA performance with RTX3090.

4 hours ago, luisma said:

Right now Audiolinux, I was using Ubuntu in the past, I can use Ubuntu just I found easier to run AL on a USB stick.

I would recommend to try the same with my NAA OS or HQPlayer OS image. You can easily write it on USB stick and boot from it, no need to install anything.

17 hours ago, pis99 said:

Maybe a stupid question but can I buy your embedded HQP OS that is bootable from a USB sticker with CUDA support? I try to not engage with my son's gaming computer and hoping nothing changed with system HD.

No, HQPlayer OS doesn't support CUDA. CUDA (for Nvidia) and ROCm (for AMD) is only supported on Ubuntu.

If the USB interface has digital volume, you can use HQPlayer OS as NAA and perform following:

1. Login as "root" (no password)
  2. Run "aplay -l" and take note of card number of your DAC
  3. Run "alsamixer -c N" where "N" is your card number
  4. Adjust possible volume control with arrow keys
  5. Hit ESC to exit
  6. Run "alsactl store" to store the settings for subsequent boots

This way you can get around with interfaces that have volume control and you want to set fixed volume.

In addition, HQPlayer Embedded supports optimized hardware + software volume combination where hardware volume is used primarily and software volume secondarily. But this makes sense only when DAC has actual USB controllable analog volume control (instead of digital). Setting this up is outside of this context, but it is documented in HQPlayer Embedded readme.txt

1 minute ago, michaelvv said:

A ssh access would be a major upgrade to hqplayer embedded image :-)

It is not supposed to be necessary to access console on the image. However, I have included some small tools for console access to deal with special cases.

And remote root access without strong random passwords is a security risk.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, firedog said:

But in both sets of graphs it looks like the noise is mostly 120 db down. Is it audible at all?

Sometimes. It is quite complex topic... So I'd like to avoid sweeping statements about audibility one way or other.

These are not the only measurable differences between PCM and DSD sides either. To me, those sides sound different. And I personally prefer DSD side.

5 minutes ago, Cogito said:

Sounds at -120dB are not audible by themselves, but Rob Watts of Chord explains that as the noise floor is lowered the depth of sound stage is increased. See video below.

I don't agree with Rob Watts in general with most things. Not on this either.

For me, subjectively, DSD side has more authority, weight and kick (as I've explained earlier, with a bit different words). Without becoming congested as easily. But I wouldn't state it is about noise floor level as such.

13 minutes ago, firedog said:

I just listened to a 24/96 version of that track and it sounds like finger snaps to me. Acc'd to the Wikipedia album page, it's finger snaps. Interestingly, when I use HQP to play it back in DSD 256 7EC, I'd say it sounds less like finger snaps (less fleshy, more hard/sharp), but I'd still  identify it as finger snaps if you asked me. 

Same upsampling filter in both cases? Do you notice a difference for example between poly-sinc-short-mp(-2s) and poly-sinc-gauss-long?