IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried getting 1.536mhz working from the USB C port on their 2000/3000 series Nvidia GPU?
Not sure what controller they're using but given as it was made explicitly for very demanding VR use I wouldn't be surprised if that worked

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

4 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried getting 1.536mhz working from the USB C port on their 2000/3000 series Nvidia GPU?
Not sure what controller they're using but given as it was made explicitly for very demanding VR use I wouldn't be surprised if that worked

It is likely Nvidia's own IP block. But in this case it doesn't matter if it's for demanding VR use. It all boils down to implementation details. And I think Nvidia card's Type-C port doesn't support USB at all. Note that "USB Type-C" has Alternate Mode capability and the same physical port can switch between between USB, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, HDMI, etc functionality. Where the actual signaling is totally different while using the same physical connector. A bit like we now see HDMI for display connectivity and same connector and cabling hardware used for I2S while the two are totally different (just lacking Type-C's capability to negotiate which configuration to use).

So it is really case-by-case if it's going to work or not. There's no simple way to tell without testing.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

19 hours ago, Miska said:

It is likely Nvidia's own IP block. But in this case it doesn't matter if it's for demanding VR use. It all boils down to implementation details. And I think Nvidia card's Type-C port doesn't support USB at all. Note that "USB Type-C" has Alternate Mode capability and the same physical port can switch between between USB, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, HDMI, etc functionality. Where the actual signaling is totally different while using the same physical connector. A bit like we now see HDMI for display connectivity and same connector and cabling hardware used for I2S while the two are totally different (just lacking Type-C's capability to negotiate which configuration to use).

So it is really case-by-case if it's going to work or not. There's no simple way to tell without testing.

Just gave it a go, it does work for USB and I can run my DAC from it, but unfortunately doesn't work with 1.536mhz :(
Oh well, was worth a shot

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

On 3/24/2021 at 10:36 PM, Extreme_Boky said:

. The interconnects and speaker cables are pure annealed silver ribbons and the silver alloy ribbons – respectively. I also use solid core power cables exclusively, a combination of pure copper, pure silver or a combination of copper – silver plated and then gold plated….This is my fine-tuning approach to achieve the most natural sound. The speakers are Dynaudio. The USB cable is Audioquest Coffee (I think it’s Coffee...).

What's the name of those cables?

I DIY'ed my own solid core 8AWG magnet wire power cables with rhodium plugs. I think solid core is the way to go. The best power cables I have heard so far. The biggest pain though is getting rid of the thin but really durable enamel on the wire. So far I've only done my DAC and headphone amp but I bought a 200ft spool to do more.

I have the May since Jan. and feed it with a DI20HE and the PS Audio PWT (both I2S). The DI20HE sounds better imho than the USB direct input, the soundstage of the DI is slightly deeper in comparison. I also prefer the coffee USB against solid silver (i.e. Nimak black). PLL is always on, soundstage width and depths is more neat. The burn in process should not be underrated in my opinion and logging with the DI takes a few seconds when sample format is changed, the direct USB input is way faster. I came from an Audio GD R8 and the May is completely different game…

Papas Gear...

On 3/24/2021 at 9:46 PM, Mops911 said:

I am sorry too looking at your speakers....pure horror....:-D

Just an opinion relax

You don't own them, you've never heard them, your opionion is pretty devoid of relevance. I actually own hqplayer and it sounds no different audibly to not using it at all.  Meanwhile, Tekton Design has rave reviews by thousands of owners and a 3 month wait list. 

I have a very dear friend who reviews (and now owns) the Ulfberhts, and they are magnificent.  Eric's design of those dome arrays is pure genius.   Now....to get you hearing HQplayer correctly.  :)

17 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I have a very dear friend who reviews (and now owns) the Ulfberhts, and they are magnificent.  Eric's design of those dome arrays is pure genius.   Now....to get you hearing HQplayer correctly.  :)

Thanks for the kind comments regarding the Tektons, they are a tremendous value and sound amazing even if they aren't the best looking speaker made today.

Hey, I may simply not have the ears for hqplayer. I will apologize for my earlier tact-less comments and simply state that as the likely issue. I do prefer PCM 1.536MHZ more than DSD128 with the polysinc ext filters and the EC modulators. Even at DSD256 using a 3rd computer I'm not able to discern a preference over PCM

I'll listen to the May KTE at 16/44.1k and feel like it's pretty much identical to 1.536mhz with NS9/LS15 dither and various filters combinations. It's that's good NOS, to me. To anyone offended by my krass comments, I apologize. Nothing is so black and white. 

2 hours ago, Diavolo said:

You don't own them, you've never heard them, your opionion is pretty devoid of relevance. I actually own hqplayer and it sounds no different audibly to not using it at all.  Meanwhile, Tekton Design has rave reviews by thousands of owners and a 3 month wait list. 

You mean I'll need to wait 3 months for the Ulfberhts?

Damn, better get my order in. Still haven't decided color and whether I should add the single Beryllium tweeter. 

To stay on topic we have this feeling the May with all its capabilities, the Kinki, and the Tektons in a dedicated room could be something very special.

7 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

You mean I'll need to wait 3 months for the Ulfberhts?

Damn, better get my order in. Still haven't decided color and whether I should add the single Beryllium tweeter. 

To stay on topic we have this feeling the May with all its capabilities, the Kinki, and the Tektons in a dedicated room could be something very special.

I agree, should be a great combo.

(As an aside, regarding Be Tweeters, the factory that makes them is moving right now adding delays to speakers requesting the Be Upgrade into the summer months, it's notated on his website when you select BE upgrade from the drop down menu.)

16 hours ago, scintilla said:

In a thread where people have admitted to owning hand-made USB cables and power cords that retail for thousands, whether or not one outlier is unhappy with his measly $400 purchase of HQPlayer and whether he continues to be a dick about it it is completely not worth your time.  Grant him the freedom to be a miserable fuck and let everyone know about it. It is his "Internets right" after all. Maybe he should even get his own thread and a special title: "HQPHater in Chief" on his profile. Don't hate the game, hate the playa.

I'm not unhappy, I just don't hear any differences between 44.1 and 1.536mhz, but do between DSD and PCM. I just prefer NOS PCM.  My tactless comments weren't warranted and weren't directed at anyone except the programs creator and then only after his need to belabor points at odds with statements Tim and the dac's own marketing literature alluded to.  His need to "put me in my place" was met with my honest feelings about his software in retaliation, which I paid for so I could give it an very honest evaluation. It was childish, I'll admit, and again I apologize for this.

Hey is anyone with this dac having issues playing DSD output with HQplayer?  I am

Today I built my new 10700K server, fresh install of windows 10 pro, HQP 4.10.3 and roon.  I have not installed AO or fidelizer as yet.  In connected output devices in roon the only one I have enabled is HQplayer.  So there is no conflict with another ASIO device via roon.  I set up HQplayer to output DSD512 (I have used hqp since 2015), the hqp player screen shows DSD filters and output rate that I set up.  As soon as I hit play in roon, HQP switched to PCM output.  The settings dialog in HQP shows SDM as the selected output despite PCM actually being output.  The filter listing on HQP main player page has switched to the PCM settings in the settings dialog.

This happened ever since I got the holo dac, although I can stream DSD using roon only to upsample redbook files, so I know it can play DSD.  So frustrating.  Any ideas appreciated

10 minutes ago, Quadman said:

Hey is anyone with this dac having issues playing DSD output with HQplayer?  I am

Today I built my new 10700K server, fresh install of windows 10 pro, HQP 4.10.3 and roon.  I have not installed AO or fidelizer as yet.  In connected output devices in roon the only one I have enabled is HQplayer.  So there is no conflict with another ASIO device via roon.  I set up HQplayer to output DSD512 (I have used hqp since 2015), the hqp player screen shows DSD filters and output rate that I set up.  As soon as I hit play in roon, HQP switched to PCM output.  The settings dialog in HQP shows SDM as the selected output despite PCM actually being output.  The filter listing on HQP main player page has switched to the PCM settings in the settings dialog.

This happened ever since I got the holo dac, although I can stream DSD using roon only to upsample redbook files, so I know it can play DSD.  So frustrating.  Any ideas appreciated

I only ran into this exact issue because I forgot to disable the Holo May ASIO device in Roon, but based on what you said you have nothing else enabled. Is 48k checked on top in DSD settings and Adaptive Output Rate unchecked on the bottom?  (not that these matter necessarily, but those settings at least worked for me). 

55 minutes ago, Diavolo said:

I only ran into this exact issue because I forgot to disable the Holo May ASIO device in Roon, but based on what you said you have nothing else enabled. Is 48k checked on top in DSD settings and Adaptive Output Rate unchecked on the bottom?

The only enabled device is HQplayer.  Holo waspi and asio are not enabled.  Jussi mentioned to do this, as I had the issue yesterday on a older windows 10 pro version (1909).  I figured fresh install of everything would solve this, nope.  48K is checked as is adaptive rate as I don't want to up sample all 44.1 rates to 48 based rates.  I never had an issue with my T+A and its non-theyscon driver.  Yet yesterday with 1909 windows I output DSD512 via roon with holo asio enabled.  

5 minutes ago, Quadman said:

The only enabled device is HQplayer.  Holo waspi and asio are not enabled.  Jussi mentioned to do this, as I had the issue yesterday on a older windows 10 pro version (1909).  I figured fresh install of everything would solve this, nope.  48K is checked as is adaptive rate as I don't want to up sample all 44.1 rates to 48 based rates.  I never had an issue with my T+A and its non-theyscon driver.  Yet yesterday with 1909 windows I output DSD512 via roon with holo asio enabled.  

Could you send a screenshot of your hqplayer settings? 

I just solved it.  Yes, no other outputs or sources were enabled in Roon.  I just clicked on device in HQP settings and sure enough there was a realtek ASIO driver listed as well as the holo asio.  Windows must have installed this.  So I deleted it and now, as it should, I can play DSD through HQP to the holo.  Dang those theyscon drivers are really really fussy.

Quadman, now that you have the May where you want it, have you tried comparing taking PCM to DSD512 versus taking PCM to very high PCM (like 1532k)?  If so, what is different (or lacking) that you hear better in DSD512?  BTW, "dither" is a PCM term; your ASDM7 or DSDv2 are modulators.  🙂