IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

One of the more captivating listening experiences that I have had in the last 9 months or so is with with a Topping D90 in direct DAC mode fed 128x44.1 DSD, 7EC, poly-sinc-ext2 listening to live FM broadcasts from my local college jazz station from an Accuphase T-1000.  They have a downtempo/chill show from 9-12 M-F and the DJ hand-picks all his playlists.  Until last summer, I was limited to PCM 192/24 with my NAD M51. My soundstage expanded way out to the sides with this PCM to DSD arrangement, impossible to accomplish without HQPlayer.  It took some help from Jussi to get it configured properly for my proaudio digital interface which he gladly provided.  If I am brainwashed, then I sure wish I could find more areas of my life for Jussi to help with because he definitely nailed this one.  I am hotly awaiting the next level with the May in-house to take over for the Topping.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

I saw a terrific review of the May dac. A song is referenced ,The Appeal by The Toadies from the album Heretics.

Song starts with a panning organ, the bass drops and than a tambourine starts with a simple beat. For him, it was revelation, the space in the rear was lit up by the tambourine, it is not loud but well established by the May dac. For me, it was at first, what tambourine? Going thru some speaker moving it became, Hunh, that's a tambourine? Downloading the latest hqp and settling for poly sinc long and NS9 and upsampling 4x, it became, ah, there it is right center and it's a tambourine. Not quite what I was hoping for but I use the Morpheus, not the May and could probably shift my speakers and traps some, and maybe get a May. So hqp does do something. Anyone could likely repeat this, listening for the tambourine and how it resolves and changes with different filters and dithers. Qobuz sourced. roon - hqp - ethernet- pi2aes ropieeexl naa - i2s - Morpheus. Alternate route was thru USB Xspdif and aes, did okay, hqp arrangement did better

You know, I really like this post. 

When going through my music collection, I often get side tracked playing tracks on what to listen to when comparing... tracks. I mean I have my old standards but bilboda touched on something rather simple, a tambourine. I use Neil Youngs harmonica and his voice often enough and of course many other recordings but so often I struggle to get a good picture of what I'm hearing overall. And for me, it's just a crap shoot. Only continued listen between my wife and I had determined what sounded good over the course of time.

Looking forward to playing with the May and all its goodies.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Asynchronous USB Audio Class transfer sends data every 125 µs (8 kHz rate  you can see sometimes leaking to DAC analog output).

How much data is sent on this block is controlled by two things; 1) audio format (sample rate, number of bits and number of channels), 2) asynchronous feedback from the DAC.

This data ends up in memory buffer at DAC which is then playing it out from there based on it's master clock. If the buffer level is dropping, it tells the computer "send me more", if the buffer level is increasing, it tells the computer "send me less".

44.1k base rates are not multiple of the USB clock, so the amount of data per transfer block varies all the time. While 48k base rates are multiple of USB clock and the amount of data per transfer block is more constant with less variation. But generally USB Audio Class is packet based transfer where the packet interval is constant but the amount of data per packet varies.

Then there are some DACs that use something else than USB Audio Class and use so called bulk transfer, and they operate in totally different manner. But these also require custom drivers to operate. exaSound DACs are example of such.

Thank you.

Even though I was aware of the above, you worded it so nicely that it truly helps understand what an a-sync data transfer between PC and USB interface card means.

12 hours ago, bilboda said:

I saw a terrific review of the May dac. A song is referenced ,The Appeal by The Toadies from the album Heretics

I like Ron. He seems like a genuine person. I've never had to strain to hear the differences between filters or shapers. I was immediately attracted to the sound of Roon into HQPe from day one nearly 4 years ago. I've used PCM almost exclusively as I don't have a PC worthy of very high DSD and really don't want one. I don't like all filters for all music but I'm grateful for all the choices and have a few go to favorites.

12 hours ago, lpost said:

Do they have a internet radio feed?

You can stream from your browser. 

https://www.ewu.edu/kewu/

You can add this link to your Roon live radio selections:

https://kewuradio.ewu.edu/KEWU_Jazz_89.5

They also have an app for iOS and Google on the respective app stores.  

If you add these, do post your thoughts about Nightfall, the downtempo/chill show 9-12am M-Th. Of course this feed sounds a lot better from the FM broadcast signal, but the content is still superb in MP3 and it is a 320KB/s 48k, 24bit stream. Enjoy!

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

I've now tried 5 'different' Amazon USB host adaptors. 2 were identical with Asmedia 3142, the others were a slightly different implementation of 3142, a 2142 and 1142. All produced the identical 'noise' playing 1536Mhz PCM as my motherboard ports. All sounded identical at 768Khz PCM as the motherboard ports. I've tried each at 16 and 20 bits. 20 definitely sounds worse but 16 is not good.

Looks like 705/768k PCM is my motherboards limit regardless. Sounding better and better every day. And yes, Virginia, different filters and noise shapers sound different to me and my non-audiophile wife. Thank you Jussi for such a wonderful and inexpensive product!

I'm curious from those that know how USB works, is it the system clock all USB interfaces use that is in common and thus at fault or does each interface have it's own inherent issues passing 1.5Mhz PCM?

1 hour ago, lpost said:

I'm curious from those that know how USB works, is it the system clock all USB interfaces use that is in common and thus at fault or does each interface have it's own inherent issues passing 1.5Mhz PCM?

I do not what specifically allows some USB interfaces to work at 1.5 MHz PCM, Jussi suggests that USB interfaces which use an Intel USB hub chip are more likely to work...  I very much doubt the USB clock has anything to do with it though.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, ted_b said:

Have May I2S users (Singxer, etc) found that 1.5Mhz and/or DSD1024 is available?  Or does this still fall back to USB drivers (this time the Singxer-owned ones)?

It is available but you need an Intel pc/endpoint in order to use it. 

Also may has been shipping with firmware 3014 at stock for a few months (which provides compatibility with any USB host but doesn't support 1.536mhz).

So you'll need to swap it to firmware 3012 if you want 1.536mhz

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

1 hour ago, lpost said:

Well I've tried just about all the 1 and 2 port cards with Asmedia chips on them. Anyone else find others, PCI-e, to work at 1.5M?

From what I read from the firmware notes 3o.12 firmware (1.5pcm and 1024dsd) seem to have issues with non-intel usb chipsets.  Hence they developed 30.14 which is compatible with many 3rd party usb chipsets but forgoes 1.5 pcm and 1024 dsd. 

From firmware notes:

take note dacs from late 2020 were shipped with version 30.14 are for those with either JCAT Femto PCI-E card (renasas chipset) or the Matrix Element or Element H card (texas instruments chipset) these are LIMITED TO DSD512 and PCM768 at this time.

HIGH content resolution firmware - version 30.12 is for motherboard USB chipset which is commonly Intel base USB controller and should support DSD1024 and PCM1.536Mhz as stated above in overview.

Looks like I'll probably part with my AMD server with linear supplies since a bog standard Intel PC from 2017 equals or beats it in SQ and plays 1.5M/20bits without issue to the May. Saves power too! The USB input on the May is something special to not hear any difference between these two classes of computers/power supplies.

PCM 1411.2 and 1536 kHz playback is possible at least with my Spring 2 DAC and Asmedia 3142. Spring 2 and May have the same firmware versions 30.12 and 30.14 so the result should be the same. I have purchased this card. Additionally, I have the JCAT USB XE built in my "main audio-pc". For this audio-pc (Intel i7-8700) I have two installations (HQPlayer OS and Win 10 LTSC 2019 each of them on a 32 GB Optane stick) I swap now and then. At the moment I use Win 10 for playing with JPLAY and Diretta and HQPlayer Desktop.

I have made a short clip. Sorry for the quality. You see my NUC7i7DNKE as target-pc for Diretta and the Asmedia card connected with help of a m.2 to PCIe adapter. One thing I have to set DAC bits from default (or from 20) to 16. And before you ask concerning sq I think I prefer the NUC USB ports. Maybe because I am not really in the mood to order a HDPLEX case with NUC kit and m.2 to PCIe riser. 🙂

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

6 hours ago, lpost said:

Looks like I'll probably part with my AMD server with linear supplies since a bog standard Intel PC from 2017 equals or beats it in SQ and plays 1.5M/20bits without issue to the May. Saves power too! The USB input on the May is something special to not hear any difference between these two classes of computers/power supplies.

...just remembered that HQ Player caters for an on-the-fly phase inversion.... try that as well.

7 hours ago, Extreme_Boky said:

...just remembered that HQ Player caters for an on-the-fly phase inversion.... try that as well.

My last DAC had a phase invert on the remote. It was interesting how some tracks behave differently than others. How does one invert on the fly with HQPe?

Regarding USB and 90ohms. I've got a Intona USB cable and 7055-C in between source and May further isolating and ensuring 90ohms.