IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

34 minutes ago, lpost said:

1.5M at 16 bits sounded a little less fleshed out to me preferring 768k at 20 bits a fair bit more. I believe this is solely based on the USB port being used.

Which noise shaper did you use? There shouldn't be notable difference between 16- and 20-bit at 1.5M, or even at 768k.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, Diavolo said:

This is a pretty typical way to remove jitter from USB these days.

How do you remove jitter from something that doesn't have it's own clock? Asynchronous USB runs off from the DAC's master clock.

You need it for S/PDIF and AES/EBU though.

Benchmark was using PLL to get jitter <-50ps 20 years ago.

That wasn't asynchronous USB, that was the old slave-clocked USB (Audio Class 1.0) where clocking was similar to S/PDIF.

Atkinson was blown away by the original Benchmark DAC 1 - USB

Which was totally different technology than USB interfaces used today... Clocked in totally different way.

5 hours ago, lpost said:

Does this mean the USB output clock is irrelevant? Could it be something other than 20Mhz and the signal still be received and clocked by the DAC?

I'm asking legitimately to learn as I don't know how asynchronous USB is intended to work.

USB clock just operates the USB interface itself. It is not related to audio clock. Shoveling data into buffer from where it is clocked out by the DAC conversion clock. Based on that DAC then tells the computer "send me more" or "send me less". There's no link between these two, they are independent. Like Ethernet or computer's clock.

13 hours ago, Extreme_Boky said:

But can software affect this wave? Is it done in bursts or is it throttled? The burst might induce periodic jitter, the throttle a constant jitter. 

Asynchronous USB Audio Class transfer sends data every 125 µs (8 kHz rate  you can see sometimes leaking to DAC analog output).

How much data is sent on this block is controlled by two things; 1) audio format (sample rate, number of bits and number of channels), 2) asynchronous feedback from the DAC.

This data ends up in memory buffer at DAC which is then playing it out from there based on it's master clock. If the buffer level is dropping, it tells the computer "send me more", if the buffer level is increasing, it tells the computer "send me less".

44.1k base rates are not multiple of the USB clock, so the amount of data per transfer block varies all the time. While 48k base rates are multiple of USB clock and the amount of data per transfer block is more constant with less variation. But generally USB Audio Class is packet based transfer where the packet interval is constant but the amount of data per packet varies.

Then there are some DACs that use something else than USB Audio Class and use so called bulk transfer, and they operate in totally different manner. But these also require custom drivers to operate. exaSound DACs are example of such.

2 minutes ago, Diavolo said:

I mean it literally sounds the same with or without it. Serves no purpose. Wastes electricity.  Serves no audible purpose. Months of wasting my time to hear something that's not there. It's snake oil. 

I cannot comment on someone hearing or not hearing differences. But at least I've provided objective measurement and analytic data.

If you want to call it snake oil, at least providing some objective proof about that would be nice.

4 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried getting 1.536mhz working from the USB C port on their 2000/3000 series Nvidia GPU?
Not sure what controller they're using but given as it was made explicitly for very demanding VR use I wouldn't be surprised if that worked

It is likely Nvidia's own IP block. But in this case it doesn't matter if it's for demanding VR use. It all boils down to implementation details. And I think Nvidia card's Type-C port doesn't support USB at all. Note that "USB Type-C" has Alternate Mode capability and the same physical port can switch between between USB, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, HDMI, etc functionality. Where the actual signaling is totally different while using the same physical connector. A bit like we now see HDMI for display connectivity and same connector and cabling hardware used for I2S while the two are totally different (just lacking Type-C's capability to negotiate which configuration to use).

So it is really case-by-case if it's going to work or not. There's no simple way to tell without testing.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Extreme_Boky said:

Well, R-2R DAC converts digital electrical current (current flow through a resistor) into potential difference (across that resistor). This potential differences is also capable of creating a current flow further down the line towards analogue amplification, due to that very same potential difference. Electron flow is redirected, if you wish, from one road into another. No damage done (well, apparat from inaccuracies involved with resistor tolerances...)

So, there is no silicon involved during this fundamental conversion process, from current level -> into analogue representation; there are no multiple layers of that silicon required to create a transistor structure for the conversion. Here, we have to open the transistor, move it into its conductive state, and then rely on semiconductive change of state (into conductive) and on movement of electrons / holes through that silicon, to achieve the end-result.

The above is a fundamental reason why R-2R sounds better than a chip (silicon).

It is not really any different from an SDM DAC. Just the resistor structure is different...

NOS will do the least amount of harm as well.

It depends... If you run it at 44.1k, it will do massive amount of harm... Because you are not getting anywhere close to the original analog waveform.

17 minutes ago, scintilla said:

I was looking for whatever thread it was in, because there are so many across so many sites, that you posted some nice pics of how driving the PCM into the Spring/May resistor network this way (20-bit, noise-shaped, high-rate) really cleans up the low-level performance and takes advantage of the inherently low noise of the design. I will be curious to see what the limits of the May design will be fed DSD at the speculative 1024 and 2048x once we have hardware to produce the signals with the best modulators.  Like with the AKM4499, which seems to prefer 256x over 512 (but who knows what they use on-chip for resistors, are they switched capacitors or current sources to save space...), there is probably a sweet spot for driving the May in PCM and DSD as well; that spot that produces the cleanest floor and lowest IMD, etc. You have to be tempted to buy one by now...

At the moment May is too expensive for my current R&D budget for buying DACs. The tunings for Spring 2 also match May the same way though. May is just otherwise better. I hope I can obtain a Spring 3 though when such arrives.

From testing point of view, DSD1024 with best modulators is not a problem since I can process the test signal conversions offline with HQPlayer Pro.

In DSD mode, DSD256 is sweet spot for Spring 2. In PCM mode, the 1.4112/1.536M 20-bit is sweet spot. For May, I would need to have the device to measure if it is the same, but I'd say it likely is.

AKM chips have traditionally been switched capacitor. Same for Cirrus Logic.

17 minutes ago, Quadman said:

Thanks Jussi, I realized after I wrote it that its the May that lowers DSD 6 dB, in the PC and HQP there is no DSD output penalty.

And it is not straightforward -6 dB, but just 6 dB difference in reference levels. Because DSD can momentarily go to +3.15 dB (DSD), while PCM cannot exceed 0 dBFS. So the level difference is just 3 dB at maximum possible peak level.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

@Miska  HQPlayer embedded (hqplayer-embedded-4.24.2-x64.7z) software based volume control is not working with PCM material to the Holo May - volume is very quiet.  At max volume you can just about hear music with your ear to the drivers.  Volume control works perfectly, and as expected, in SDM (DSD) mode, volume can also be controlled on MConnect (my control app) whilst in SDM mode - so this is just a problem with PCM.  Any ideas?

I also only get PCM upto 768kHz in both embedded and windows versions of HQPlayer using Holos AISO drivers...  advice welcome.

Anyone managed 1.536MHz in Windows 10 - in the windows system tray I can only select WASAPI - AISO driver does not appear as a windows option.

Looks like I'm stuck with DSD for the moment.

Maybe it has digital volume for PCM somewhere. You can check by first running "aplay -l" to list audio devices and then using "alsamixer -c" with corresponding card number after the c -argument.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, KenMoreira said:
Tim_20142__Medium_.jpg

Tim Connor (Kitsunehifi)

Jul 13, 2021, 7:10 PM PDT

Spring3 and May are both 24bit dacs. Effective resolution is more like 22 bit for spring3 and 23bit for May.
Far better than most chip dacs that are 32bit etc and few of those surpass 20bit effective resolution

Here is for example Stereophile's linearity measurement of May:

820HoMayfig11.jpg

You can see it begins to go off at -120 dB which equals to 20 bit.

But using 20 or less bits correctly, you can take it way beyond that point.

9 hours ago, KenMoreira said:

Does all this mean I should be limiting my playback to 24bit in tidal / audirvana?  Or just to 20bit in hqplayer only? 

Tidal is 24-bit at most anyway.

You can improve performance over standard 24-bit output by using suitable upsampling and noise shaping with output bits limited to 20.