IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

Does anyone know the differences between the Wildism versions and the KTE version?

I don't find much if anything on the Wildism version. I've emailed Jo Jo a couple days ago but have yet to receive a reply. I don't do Facebook so that's a non-starter for me.

Good stuff. Review prep?

I'm thinking USB shouldn't use the PLL whether it's enabled or not as the DAC provides the clock for USB. It wouldn't make much sense to PLL it's own clock...

Can you hear any difference between any of them or even the optical without PLL enabled? -10dB at -140dB is very low.

1 hour ago, Mops911 said:

IMHO, the best music always comes from small shops. Large companies always sacrifice music for dollars :-D

Not always but seemingly often. I also think it's important to support small innovators and yes this means waiting longer (or more time to anticipate) and potentially paying a bit more (though often less because the big distribution/sales machine isn't involved, yet).

3 minutes ago, John Hughes said:

So I think I have to duplicate that with HQplayer. This adds another wrinkle to the mix. 

You can have Roon continue PEQ into HQPlayer no problem. However, I find that HQP plays 'cleaner' with PEQ and/or convolution than Roon but it's subtle.

Convolution is preferred in my experience over PEQ regardless of where the processing occurs.

9 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

Do you guys leave your May on 24/7? I'm finding that it sounds better once it's been on for many hours. So ideally I'd like to just leave it running 24/7, but not sure if that's detrimental to cap life or whatnot, maybe negligible? 

The caps will likely out live all of us. They're not like caps of 40 years ago. Leave it on unless you're going to be away for a few days or more.

During the break-in period some find its advantageous to turn off the unit and let it completely cool for 4-5 hours every 5 days or so. Should speed the changes in the caps and other dielectrics but then leave it on all the time for best sound.

I have ATC speakers, Holo May, NRG power cables, Iconoclast interconnects and speaker, and PS Audio preamp, amp and regen. Oh, and Pink Faun streamer. All are very small to small, PS Audio is pretty big but behaves like a small shop in that the customer service (in the US) is absolutely exemplary, above and beyond.

42 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

I do also have a pi2aes but the SMS200 ultra has 768khz support whereas pi2aes does not so I normally only use pi2aes with native content and other dacs.

I wish I could find a PCI-e card with I2S and support for more than 192/32 PCM. I have the Pink Faun with oven clock but the limit doesn't allow the best from HQPe like USB.