IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

3 minutes ago, toddrhodes said:

Well, @GoldenOne better be getting a commission because he sold another May KTE today. 

I currently have a DF Venus II and Ian Canada DDC. I am very happy with the overall sound, however I have a couple niggles:

I get a "click" or glitch every so often on the i2S input. Doesn't happen on USB, and it's happened with multiple i2S sources. I've worked with Alvin to remedy but no dice. It's not necessarily a dealbreaker but it does create a bit of a distraction like... "is it gonna do it?" Takes me out of the experience, I'm sad to say.

And then the whole NOS-but-not-NOS thing isn't a huge deal, but it is annoying, and I do use HQPlayer with a custom PC spec'd to do highend DSD and PCM filters. 

So, I decided to order a May KTE today. Not sure what the current lead times are looking like, but I can be patient, not a huge deal. 

I'm using a Pi4 with HQP NAA image, fiber optical Ethernet converters into my room and powering it with a LifePO4 battery PSU from Ian Canada. USB cable is a dual head model from Ghent. Overall I'm super excited, as May should complement my tastes and my other equipment really well.

The real loser here is my vinyl setup. It will, once again, continue to collect dust, I'm afraid.

About 6 weeks lead time. And I spoke to Tim about using a pi and he said don't bother, I wouldn't. Which is no surprise. The PLL in their dacs is better then the ones in most streamers lol

Ok so, basically he's not saying that don't do it. But keep in mind, you'll almost surely not be able to upsample to the dac max. 

When I asked if I should still use my allo usbridge signature with allo shanti lps. 

"I wouldn't, the PLL in the new line of usb inputs is superior on our devices" 

So if you have your pc in a different room I don't think it would significantly hurt you, I understand it's far more convenient.  It just might limit some aspects. 

Definitely A/B if possible?  I plan to. 

1 hour ago, toddrhodes said:

Interesting. I can upsample to DSD512 and PCM1.5 (is that fs32?) on my Venus II via direct output of Pi4 --> USB --> Venus II, using the HQP NAA image. So I know the Pi is capable of outputting it, at least. How the May reconciles/allows that from its end, I can't say. 

I CAN put the PC next to it. It's just, well, loud :) And my concern there is that nothing has been done in that PC to make it electrically quiet and it's a bit too muscular (CPU, GPU, Fans) for an LPSU to work with it. 

Very interesting, either way. Thanks!

I'll try my allo when my dac arrives n see how it goes for me 

11 minutes ago, dkdali said:

Finally got my Innuos Zenith to run embedded HQPlayer OS and streaming sweet 1536kHz (Sinc-Mx, LNS15) to the May.

I had expected to run the Zenith as a NAA but after having had huge problems with running the NAA image I ended up trying the OS image instead. To my huge surprise the Zenith upsamples to 1536kHz without any problems and I don't have to use my Windows PC to run the Desktop app - big win!

I have made a post in the Music Servers section if anybody else is interested in how to do this.

I have a HQPlayer - May dac question: I see that people like @GoldenOne configures HQPlayer to only send 20 bit sound to the May. I thought the May was capable of running 24 and 32 bit. Why not use the full bit resolution?

May is 23/24 bit dac chip.  The spring is 21.

Most delta sigma are 20.

Don't confuse audio bit rate with dac chipset bit rate 

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

Where are you pulling these figures?

There's no DAC chip in May or Spring. Both are discrete. Plus a separate DSD mode.

Delta-sigma DAC chips are 1 - 6 bits, with 24- or 32-bit inputs to their DSP. Plus various such have direct path for DSD, bypassing the DSP.

If you send one bit too many with May, your linearity is screwed up and distortion is back. But you can safely go down to 16 bit without losing dynamic range or adding any distortion. So rather send too few bits than too many, with correct kind of noise shaper.

Because it is not physically possible to create R2R ladder that is accurate to such resolutions especially at sampling rates suitable for audio. For this reason you get more accuracy by using less bits, but higher sampling rate.

(note, Spring takes in 32-bit samples, but reports it's resolution to be 24-bit)

I just covered the topic once again here:

Tim_20142__Medium_.jpg

Tim Connor (Kitsunehifi)

Jul 13, 2021, 7:10 PM PDT

Spring3 and May are both 24bit dacs. Effective resolution is more like 22 bit for spring3 and 23bit for May.
Far better than most chip dacs that are 32bit etc and few of those surpass 20bit effective resolution

Now if only I could limit audirvana to 20 bit 

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Here is for example Stereophile's linearity measurement of May:

820HoMayfig11.jpg

You can see it begins to go off at -120 dB which equals to 20 bit.

But using 20 or less bits correctly, you can take it way beyond that point.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:18 AM, stefano_mbp said:

If you set some kind of upsampling try to play instead as bit-perfect (no upsampling) some 16/44.1 file.

Which dac do you have?

On 5/23/2021 at 12:58 PM, zackthedog said:

My understanding is that gentooplayer can load the entire OS into ram for operation, but GMrenderer is too large to accomodate this on some boards.  Since it precludes running the system in ram on the Allo, you must choose to install it knowing it will limit other features.  But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:08 PM, toddrhodes said:

Interesting. I can upsample to DSD512 and PCM1.5 (is that fs32?) on my Venus II via direct output of Pi4 --> USB --> Venus II, using the HQP NAA image. So I know the Pi is capable of outputting it, at least. How the May reconciles/allows that from its end, I can't say. 

I CAN put the PC next to it. It's just, well, loud :) And my concern there is that nothing has been done in that PC to make it electrically quiet and it's a bit too muscular (CPU, GPU, Fans) for an LPSU to work with it. 

Very interesting, either way. Thanks!

On 7/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, dkdali said:

Finally got my Innuos Zenith to run embedded HQPlayer OS and streaming sweet 1536kHz (Sinc-Mx, LNS15) to the May.

I had expected to run the Zenith as a NAA but after having had huge problems with running the NAA image I ended up trying the OS image instead. To my huge surprise the Zenith upsamples to 1536kHz without any problems and I don't have to use my Windows PC to run the Desktop app - big win!

I have made a post in the Music Servers section if anybody else is interested in how to do this.

I have a HQPlayer - May dac question: I see that people like @GoldenOne configures HQPlayer to only send 20 bit sound to the May. I thought the May was capable of running 24 and 32 bit. Why not use the full bit resolution?

On 7/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, damascato said:

Hey guys, while waiting for a Usbridge, I tried to connect the May via USB to my MacBook Pro (with an usbA—>C adapter).

When putting the Tidal app in exclusive mode, the volume becomes all of a sudden incredibly low so that to have a decent listening level I need to crank up my amp almost to max (which is not what usually does, it’s a Hegel 190).

when I had the May connected vis coax to a usbridge this never happened.

any ideas/tip?

I have the usbridge signature player, waiting on my Spring still.  I figured it wouldn't help much as the onboard usb is pretty killer on these dacs.  Guess might be worth it 

7 minutes ago, KenMoreira said:
On 7/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, damascato said:

app in exclusive mode, the volume becomes all of a sudden incredibly low so that to have a decent listening level I need to crank up my amp almost to max (which is not what usually does, it’s a Hegel 190).

when I had the May connected vis coax to a usbridge this never happened.

any ideas/tip?

Expand  

I have the usbridge signature player, waiting on my Spring still.  I figured it wouldn't help much as the onboard usb is pretty killer on these dacs.  Guess might be

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, 87mpi said:

Confirm! It works! Spring 3 KTE comes out with firmware 30.14. Just flashed on 30.12 and works perfectly as Naa with Miska's HQP OS image.

Instead using the NAA under Gentooplayer OS with 5.11.3 CK kernel there is clearly a problem, on the display comes out 1.536 but strange sound comes out .. Slow and noisy ..

Thanks so much again! 

🙏

Can you point me to instructions on flashing 

3 minutes ago, quanghuy147 said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm trying to buy a May DAC. I checked the price on Kitsune website. The current price is $5600 (KTE version) plus $230 for shipping. 

I watched some Youtube reviews about this DAC. They mentioned the price is $5000. I wonder if Kitsune just recently increased the price?

Also, May has 3 version L1 is $4200, KTE is $5600. Which version should I buy? Could you recommend? 

By the way, if anyone is going to sell May, please let me know :) I hope to save some bucks buying a used one. 

Thank you. 

Huy

Price went up on all holo items on July 18, as the supplier increased parts by 30%

The 1 does not have the upgraded USB module, so if usb is primary get the 2 or kte. 

The 1 to kte is about 3 to 5 percent  in difference.  

Just now, hemflaw said:

...What is your basis for saying that? Are you relying on your experience listening to many high-end streamers?

I'm pretty happy with my usbridge signature. With allo shanti linear power supply.   The Ethernet and USB pcb are totally seperated and so are the 2 rails of the power supply. 

1 hour ago, barrows said:

My point was that Holo Audio DACs perform best with DSD, not sure what you are saying about PCM.  Point being it is better to (assuming one is using HQPlayer with optimum settings) to convert all PCM to DSD before conversion, this is what I was referring to: not saying anything about PCM rates at all.

What is the reference for dsd is superior on holo dacs to pcm?  Just how you feel? 

2 minutes ago, Quadman said:

I came from a T+A Dac8DSD, a very highly regarded dac especially when up sampling to higher rates of DSD, I ran mostly DSD512.  I had that dac for almost 3 years, I knew it well.  The Holo May cleaned its clock, it wasn't even close.  I listen to the Holo at mostly DSD256 with EC modulators, or DSD512.  If I am not listening to DSD then I am NOS with no oversampling, straight stream.  I really like that as well.  Higher rates of PCM up sampling (1.4 & 1.5MHz), do have more transparency and maybe a bit more punch but lack soul.  Extended listening sessions, which I do a lot of, high rate PCM becomes boring and fatiguing.  I want to turn the music off and do something else.  With High rate DSD I just want to play more music.

Just look at the May's power supply and compare that to most any other dac.  I have learned through the years the better the PSU the better the component.  Combine the May's incredible engineering with that huge and well designed PSU and you have one of the very best dacs out there.  Just look at used for sale sites do you ever see a holo may there?  No, I see almost every other brand tho.

This is why I got the spring kte, thinking of in the future getting a power station or battery power so it's totally clean. 

1 hour ago, rocky said:

In the past with both the Spring 1 and Spring 2, the Singxer was a noticeable upgrade to the sound. Same setup.

So thought it might be the same with the Spring 3.

I am hoping with more hours on it, it will sound at least as good as the Spring 2. (Had great enjoyable listening sessions with that setup)

Then might try out the USB but the Singxer was a very welcome step up for me on the previous ones over straight USB.

Holo told me, no real benefit to using a street pre, or ddc with their usb being so good. It's actually the primary input on the 3 kte 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, ted_b said:

I assume the Spring 3, like all Spring and May dacs, has an NOS setting.  Are you saying that using this setting, and using a 3rd party to upsample, the sound is bad?  OR...are you saying the sound is bad using the Spring 3's OS setting?  If the latter, then yes, same with my Spring 1 KTE and my May KTE.  Not sure who uses OS but its a waste of time.  The setting to use is NOS, and then use a 3rd party like HQPlayer to do the upsampling. 

I know nothing of the Spring 3 so sorry if this is irrelevant.

I was using HQPlayer. I found it made the music seem unnatural.