IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

• 1 month later...

I've had the May L2 (Wildism) for a couple of weeks now. Excellent sound quality with my Mac mini M1, nothing to add to what's already been said. Superb DAC!

Regarding set-up/installation, I first ran in the unit with the supplied USB cable. Substituting my normal Oyaide Continental 5S (£375) cable didn't reveal any obvious differences. Not motivated to investigate other USB cables.

Once I'd settled into the May's basic sound, I pulled out my Denafrips Hermes converter to test the other connections.

Considering some of the comments I've read on this thread, I was somewhat surprised to discover that the i2s connection (PLL ON) via the Hermes was slightly, but consistently, preferred compared to the USB direct. Just a touch more clarity across the board. The HDMI cable used was the 0.6m AudioQuest Pearl 48G (£31.50).

One slight niggle with this set up too. Despite sending 768KHz to the DDC over USB, my May is maxing out at 384 over i2s. Has anyone managed 768+ over i2s? 

Interesting question, Matt!

To my ears both DACs are "neutral" with no niggles. The difference is just the extra resolution of the May. You can more easily appreciate the artistry of the musicians.

The other day, I was listening to Free with the family and we were all just blown away by the gravely tone of Paul Rodgers' voice. The discussion moved on to whether or not he is the best male rock vocalist EVER. At no point did anyone care to wonder if the hifi system had changed (they are only curious if I change speakers).

Another example, listening to Gregory Porter's 2nd album, "Be Good", I found myself captivated by the beautiful and subtle playing of the backing band. With the M1 DAC, you just have the general sense that there's a backing piano behind the vocal/lead. But with the May, you become aware of the tonality of each chord, its decay, the pianist's touch etc.

I could go on and on, but it boils down to simply not wanting to stop listening to music played through the May. In contrast, the M1 DAC requires more mental effort to reconstruct the musical content and is thus so much less engaging to listen to.

3 hours ago, Roasty said:

I'm using HQPlayer for upsampling. 
Direct PC to May via USB, i can get music playing at 768.

However, if i put a Denafrips Hermes in between (and then connect to May via i2s), the May shows it playing at half the sample rate 384khz. 

Roon shows hqplayer upsampling to 768, and the Denafrips Hermes 768 sample rate light is lit up. but May is showing 384Khz.

Any idea why that is so?

Exactly the same issue here, no idea why. Has anyone managed 768 via i2s?

• 8 months later...
On 2/25/2022 at 7:34 AM, Schafheide said:

I ask because, for me, i2s (via Singxer SU-6) sounds better than the May USB port.

I’m finding Macmini M1 to May (w/ older USB card) still sounds better with the Denafrips Hermes in between. And optical is probably the best sounding of all, in terms of clarity and ease.

It’s not a big difference, but big enough not to sell the Hermes. And believe me, I’d like to!