IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

What's the best way to set up HQP with an Innuos server? Is it possible to retain the Innuos as Roon core and player while outsourcing the HQP processing to a more powerful processor? In other words can the Innuos roon core point to HQP elsewhere, but still output to the DAC as a player via USB?  Or does the HQP host need to connect directly into the DAC?

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, you can split Roon Core and HQPlayer such way. Sometimes it is beneficial to do so.

With HQPlayer, DAC is accessed by HQPlayer, not anymore seen by Roon. It can be connected either to HQPlayer host, or to HQPlayer NAA network endpoint. If the Innuos server can run the NAA software module, the DAC can remain connected to it.

Thanks for that clarification very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using hqp 1.536mhz ext2 via usb from my 9900K windows pc on 30.12 firmware. it is working great. ive gone back and forth with dsd256 7ec but i think pcm sounds better. dsd is a bit smoother but doesnt sound as dynamic. im gathering parts now for a dedicated server. plan to run euphony with hqpe. i want to try an aftermarket usb or i2s pci-e card but not sure if any works with 1.536mhz, so may stick with motherboard output.

ive been demoing 20bit 32fs pggb into holo may 30.12 firmware. no hf distortion or any issues here. works smoothly and i am very impressed with pggb sound. im using my win10 gaming pc at the moment (9900k + msi z390 godlike), shunyata sigma usb direct to May.. with hqp i was primarily switching between sinc-m/ext2/sinc-l pcm1.536, but i think pggb sound is a step up to my surprise. did not expect this level of improvement. but the issue with pggb is that it is an inconvenience to use alongside streaming. roon will not play these files either. i'm currently piecing together a dedicated server to move away from using my gaming pc. i plan to run euphony on it. hopefully get a hybrid hqpe stream / local pggb combo going. 

35 minutes ago, Foggie said:

I'll admit I don't fully understand the purpose of PGGB (other than the stated goal), but even if it did, are people actually converting their library to another format / file version?  Surely do whatever one wants to do in the name of SQ, but losing all the metadata, converting 1k, 2k, 10k files, the time, sheer disk space etc...  oh my gooodness.  I must be missing something.

the converted .wav metadata shows fine in HQP for me. file size is large.. one ~3min track is ~2gb.  but apparently you can use wavpack compression to significantly reduce the size w/o sq loss. havent tried wavpack myself as im not committed for now, just doing a trial. 

of course its ultimately for the sake of sq, as is the purpose of this entire forum? ive seen much more trivial tweaks in the name of sq, this pggb is not nearly trivial imo as its exponentially more taps than hqp can process real-time. as i mentioned for me i think the 32fs sq into May sounds better than any hqp pcm/dsd filters ive tried. now its really more about the ergonomics of it that will make me commit or not.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Hiker said:

Did you actually own any of the other cables you didn’t actually say you did . If you did compare those other USB cables what did they not do for you in your system compared to this very expensive USB cable from Shunyata ? Thank you 

i did have all those cables. last year started with a supra USB for ~$50. then curious -> aq diamond -> sablon -> FTA callisto. and now have the sigma. i got the May after the sigma so i cant speak to any differences on the May. but i tested most of the cables on my prior DAC (bricasti m1se). the sigma gave my ears the biggest improvement stage depth and overall clarity/refinement. it just sounded crisper and more 3d than all the previous cables i tried.  FTA would be my second favorite, edging out sablon. But the gap between sigma > FTA is bigger than FTA > sablon. AQ diamond was disappointing, i didnt think it sounded any better than the $50 supra USB.

33 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Any chance that you still have any of those cables around, maybe the Supra? Sure would like your impressions between it and something that costs half the price of the May.

i only have the sigma now. but its possible that with the May's USB, the effect (and therefore cost) of the sigma is ultimately wasted. 

since the supra is inexpensive, i may buy another one to test at some point. it wasn't the case w/ the bricasti as the sigma really lifted the SQ for me. but i'd be happy to sell the sigma and put that money elsewhere in the system if the May's USB is so good that it negates higher end cables.  

16 minutes ago, fds said:

Hm I have both and I think that the AQ diamond is much, much better than the SUPRA. I have also a Light Harmonic Lightspeed to which the AQ diamond is comparable. The Lightspeed is more extended while the Diamond is more natural with voices. Actually I had used the AQ diamond for many years and I had liked what it did. The Sablon is clearly in a different league though. Still surprising to me that a USB cable can make such a profound difference. Interesting to hear that the sigma is even better for which one pays about 3-4 times the price of the Sablon.

yes agree sablon was better than diamond for me too. and i also went into digital cables highly skeptical and dismissive. but my view has changed. maybe its placebo or maybe not. who knows. part of the fun in audio is trying tweaks first hand. 

• 1 month later...

1.536m distorts on linux (euphony OS). intel mobo USB output. guessing its a driver thing since it worked fine on windows ASIO.

wonder if a jcat usb card would work instead. probably a long shot but has anyone tried a jcat usb on a euphony server, into May 1.536?