IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

Hi all,

In order to reduce vibration as much as possible, separate the power module and DAC module a little given that I only have one shelf for both (probably not necessary on the KTE give it has the copper DAC module covers), and to improve airflow I  made a Holo Audio sandwich utilizing 2x 1/2" thick acrylic sheets and a combination of IsoAcoustics Orea Indigo vibration isolators beneath the power module and IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze beneath the DAC module.

Yeah it's probably overkill ....

Best,

James

0529210901.jpg

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

58 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Maybe not overkill but what did you notice after the insertion of those devices? I know my Lindemann DAC streamer didn't at all like isolation feet. Sucked the life out of the music. Found that maple worked wonders though.

May sits on top of 3" maple but I haven't sat with my wife and performed an AB test yet. Too busy moving!

Hi.

I configured this when I first installed the May KTE 2.5 weeks ago so I can't really say.

I am a big fan of the IsoAcoustics products. I have the Gaia Series Feet under my Speakers, Subwoofer and Amp stands and the Orea isolators under every component.

I have had such good results I didn't even give it a second thought when I put the May KTE in service ...

Best,

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Roasty said:

Yep same power cords, same xlr, same USB cable. Wavelight can't do 768, so listening done at 384.

XLR to Denafrips Athena to Apollon stereo 1et400a, and then Susvara. 

Anyways, like I said, they're both excellent. In the end it's just down to sound preferences. I'll be keeping both, since I have two listening rigs. 

Without going into too much detail.. For me, the May sounds clean, detailed, accurate. The wavelight has the more enjoyable low end, and sweeter lusher highs, as well as a sense of more "meat" throughout the range. 

FYI May needs 500 hours before it is broken in.

18 hours ago, BrownMagic said:

500 hours of being turned on or music played through?

Hello there. Music needs to be played through the DAC.

The 500 hours comes from Tim at Kitsune (says someone elsewhere in the forum). I would say that is on the money.

.. now there is of course the R2R section used for PCM and the separate resistor ladder network used for DSD … you will need to break in both!

Best,

James

49 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

I don’t have any DSD content. How does one then break in the DSD ladder? And if I am only going to use the PCM, do I still need to care about the DSD ladder?

Hi there, you could feed PCM content to the the DAC running in OS DSD mode to break it in but you certainly don’t need to.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Reg19 said:

DAC owners: do you leave your Holo May on 24/7? Or, when not in use, do you put it on stand-by by pressing the button on the front left of the unit?

Hi there, IMO important to leave on all the time to reach a stable temperature and for continued peak performance once that has occurred. 

47 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Received my updated USB module today. Honestly, I hadn't read to much about it but I like to stay current with my gear. My wife and I have been tuning the new setup, speaker position cables and various settings between the KTE and HQP. At the same time I'm writing a review on recently acquired integrated and speakers. 

I remembered that the USB module might allow greater throughput but probably negligible in sound quality. I mean it's already amazing.

So what just happened? About 5 notes in I was having a moment. The strum of the acoustic was clearly more delineated and in its own space. This is one of my test songs and I know what I've been hearing and what I'm hearing now. I listened to the song and kept shaking my head. It was already best I've heard. My wife came to the door and I told her to sit down and listen to the same song. The song started and after ~30 seconds she asked what did I do. "It's the new USB module honey". She noted that the bass region which I believed already excellent, now had removed what she termed and a blending or buzz. We've been having arguments regarding this phenomena. I couldn't hear it but she could and would mention it often. She has better ears than I so I can't poo-poo her assessment. But the fact is bass has changed, her issue has been completely removed. The clarity and space to her had improved and became even easier on her ears.

She just asked me if the module needs to be broken in. I told her probably not but I haven't yet installed the firmware. 

Hi there, that’s great.

How does one go about purchasing the new USB module for the KTE May? I tried contacting KitsuneHiFi via the web form a few weeks ago but didn’t hear back. I’m not seeing anything anywhere other than on this forum about a new module.

.. and is this something you were able to install yourself or did you have to send back the unit? If you installed it yourself how straightforward is it?

Thanks!

Best,

James

Thanks MrDerrick, MichaelHiFi, Extreme_Boky. I reviewed all the documentation and it looks pretty straightforward.

The biggest question is whether the new card will sound better. The Kitsunehifi page says there are no differences, Magnahifi on the other hand touts improved sound quality  (https://magnahifi.com/it/holoaudio-usb-module-for-dac-copy/) - which is enough for me to want to try it!

Best,

James

9 hours ago, James Stephens said:

Thanks MrDerrick, MichaelHiFi, Extreme_Boky. I reviewed all the documentation and it looks pretty straightforward.

The biggest question is whether the new card will sound better. The Kitsunehifi page says there are no differences, Magnahifi on the other hand touts improved sound quality  (https://magnahifi.com/it/holoaudio-usb-module-for-dac-copy/) - which is enough for me to want to try it!

Best,

James

I don't know much about this stuff but it looks to me like the image on the Magnahifi link is for the XU208 XMOS module for the spring DAC from 2018.

Pics sent a little earlier in the thread  of the new USB Gen 2.1 card for the May show an Altera Max II Chipset.

The wording on MagnaHifi for the card does say Enhanced USB Generation 2.1 but the possibly incorrect picture could somewhat taint their promises of sound improvements  ... especially as their refer to the XMOS chipset on the card.

Maybe they made a mistake .... ?

James

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tiff_needle said:

Thanks for the feedback. It's a Plinius integrated amp (pre-amp dual mono power configuration in a single box).

So by this output voltage: 5.8Vrms in XLR, seems like my input will enter in overload (set at 5Vrms).... bollocks

A workaround would be using single-ended outputs... but I would prefer using the balanced output.... bollock x2

dB = 20 log [V2/V1]

20 log 5/5.8 = -1.29dB

-1.3dB is the perfect amount ... or -1.5dB if you can only do 0.5 dB increments. 

Best,

James

• 4 weeks later...

The Audioquest Diamond is a great cable. Your money will be well spent.

https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/usb-a-to-usb-b/diamond

• 4 months later...
24 minutes ago, ted_b said:

HQPlayer, like many software players, has a free trial, so nothing to lose and you can experience great DSD high bit rates with EC modulators, or similarly great filtering (Gauss long, etc.) in high sample rate PCM.  Give it a try.

Lol does the Free Trial come with a Free NAA? 😉

That’s my issue. My Roon Server is Rock on an Intel NUC down in my basement with a fiber run up to my listening room. I have an M1 Mac Mini I could easily run HQP on but I would want that down in my basement too so I need an NAA that would be comparable to my Aries G2.1 in terms of quality. The only thing I feel tempted by is a Signature Rendu SE but that is a lot to spend to try HQ Player!!

Best,

James

• 8 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 8:12 PM, Extreme_Boky said:

Has anyone kept the original USB module? 

I still have the Gen 2.0 module.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

I also still don't have any device with the new one:

NAA output network endpoint: Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard: USB Audio

No complaints, objectively or subjectively, so I haven't rushed changing the module.

Of course likely the next one will be with the new one!

Although right now I'm playing with a kind of optionally alternative - Holo Red.

Very interested to hear how you make out with the Red.

I haven't touched my system in 2 years but I have one on order to experiment with as an NAA to potentially replace my Aries G2.1. 

Not going to purchase HQPlayer Desktop just yet though ... 😉

James

"The rabbit hole went straight on like a tunnel for some way, and then dipped suddenly down, so suddenly that Alice had not a moment to think about stopping ..."

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2023 at 8:42 AM, James Stephens said:

Very interested to hear how you make out with the Red.

I haven't touched my system in 2 years but I have one on order to experiment with as an NAA to potentially replace my Aries G2.1. 

Not going to purchase HQPlayer Desktop just yet though ... 😉

James

"The rabbit hole went straight on like a tunnel for some way, and then dipped suddenly down, so suddenly that Alice had not a moment to think about stopping ..."

Holo Audio Red in place now as an NAA (arrived in a little under 5 weeks) and I am running HQPlayer on an M1 Mac Mini (16GB).

I went almost 2 years without making any change to my system whatsoever .. I’m sure glad I did though because HQPlayer has taken things up a notch.  

Qn - The Red has the Gen 2.1 USB Card as I understand it and my KTE is still on the 2.0 Card …. Is there more reason now for me to be thinking about upgrading the card in the May?

Thanks.