IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

11 hours ago, lpost said:Is USB straight from source as good as SU-1 KTE or Matrix spdif2 (I have both, along with an Intona 4055-C). I'm thinking none of these will do anything for the new USB input.

Interested in answer to above question too. I bought a May KTE as I was moving to Japan. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks but the rest of my gear and belongings don’t arrive until Monday so I’m forced to look at the wonderful May for 2 more days and not listen to it. 

11 hours ago, lpost said:

Is USB straight from source as good as SU-1 KTE or Matrix spdif2 (I have both, along with an Intona 4055-C). I'm thinking none of these will do anything for the new USB input.

Interested in answer to above question too. I bought a May KTE as I was moving to Japan. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks but the rest of my gear and belongings don’t get delivered to me until Monday so I’m forced to look at the wonderful May for 2 more days and not listen to it. 

Setup: 

-USB to Holo May KTE to KGGG to SR-009S

-Upgraded SU-1 vis I2S to Holo Spring 1 KTE to KGGG to SR-009S

Bottom line up front: The May will spoil you and you won’t be able to listen to anything at a lower tier

The Spring KTE is no slouch by any standard. I felt the Spring was the best DAC I had heard for headphones when I got it and second best for speakers (Yggy A2 beat it there). After listening to the May for the past few days I found the Spring kind of blah. Obviously the Spring didn’t magically dip out once the May arrived but my knowledge of what was possible with a DAC has just elevated. I won’t resort to the normal hyperbole used to describe things so I would say that what you get for your 2x price increase are substantially better separation in different voices and instruments as well as a more dynamic presentation. Sounds build and decay in a very clear and independent manor. By that I mean you can perceive the rise and decay of sounds different sounds at the same time vice those changes sometimes getting lost. Hallelujah by Straight No Chaser brought chills to me the when I listened it because the voice presentation seemed so personal like they were right in the room with me as the sound swept across the channels. Detail retrieval in Lose Yourself to Dance by Daft Punk revealed additional nuances in the sounds that accompanies the instrument heard in the first few seconds that I had no idea were there. The entire song seemed like it had more life than before due to the beat being better integrated with the vocals. Even though beat and get vocal were more distinct they also held more impact. 

Overall I’d characterize the improvement as more than incremental and a clear cut upgrade from the Spring 1 KTE. 

Anyway, I hope you found my babbling helpful. The Spring KTE will be going up for sale since I don’t have a need for 2 DACs. Next up will be evaluating the USB vs I2S input of the May to determine if I need to keep the the SU-1. First I need to rearrange things so that I have room to put the SU-1 on top of the May DAC section. 

BA13CA39-879E-45CF-AF8E-3031AEFA6C71.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I DIY'ed my own solid core 8AWG magnet wire power cables with rhodium plugs. I think solid core is the way to go. The best power cables I have heard so far. The biggest pain though is getting rid of the thin but really durable enamel on the wire. So far I've only done my DAC and headphone amp but I bought a 200ft spool to do more.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any idea where Tim is? I ordered something that listed as in stock from Kitsune on Monday before opening and haven’t seen a shipping notification. I sent an email on Wednesday inquiring about this and so far no response. Just trying to see if you guys have heard anything outside of normal, reasonable processing times.