IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

To pre or not to pre will always be situational and personal preference.  That being said, if one looking at a DAC like the May or any other high quality unit for that matter, how would you approach running dual / multi subs?  Running a signal direct from the amp(s) to sub can be an option but what else?

My rig

54 minutes ago, scintilla said:

I use a splitter and drive a powered sub and the power amplifier in parallel, room-corrected with acourate.  But a more elegant solution is to use a multichannel dac like the okto or exasound and drive it with HQP implementing digital cross-overs or use DIrac with bass management.  I would not consider trying to implement multiple subwoofers without DSP room-correction because you are just going to mess it up otherwise.  

Those are options for sure and may be required is some instances + rooms but totally unnecessary in others with proper setup.  My pre has multiple outs and thus I use my subs settings for bass mgmt - the integration is ridiculously good in my current setup.

I was just curious how some are doing multi subs without pre when going dac direct.  I personally wouldn't be interested in getting a multi chnl dac "just because".  Anyway this is getting way OT and there are plenty of pre discussion threads.  Back to Holo discussions everyone!

My rig

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, sledwards said:

I will get around to trying PGGB, but I seriously doubt it will surpass what I am hearing now.

I'll admit I don't fully understand the purpose of PGGB (other than the stated goal), but even if it did, are people actually converting their library to another format / file version?  Surely do whatever one wants to do in the name of SQ, but losing all the metadata, converting 1k, 2k, 10k files, the time, sheer disk space etc...  oh my gooodness.  I must be missing something.

My rig

1 hour ago, mrkoven said:

the converted .wav metadata shows fine in HQP for me. file size is large.. one ~3min track is ~2gb.  but apparently you can use wavpack compression to significantly reduce the size w/o sq loss. havent tried wavpack myself as im not committed for now, just doing a trial. 

of course its ultimately for the sake of sq, as is the purpose of this entire forum? ive seen much more trivial tweaks in the name of sq, this pggb is not nearly trivial imo as its exponentially more taps than hqp can process real-time. as i mentioned for me i think the 32fs sq into May sounds better than any hqp pcm/dsd filters ive tried. now its really more about the ergonomics of it that will make me commit or not.

Fair points I suppose, but I'll bring these questions up in the dedicated PGGB thread

My rig

• 3 months later...

Lampi has/had a DSD only dac.  Pre the current model designs, DSD on the chipless Lampi's sorta put them on the map so to speak and was one of the few that focused in that vein (DSD).  I don't think that's their focus as much anymore. 

My rig

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2021 at 9:11 PM, GoldenOne said:

Double check your device volume itself isn't <100.

For some reason ALSA / Linux sets a lot of devices to 45/100 by default. 

Many dacs the hardware addressable volume won't do anything. But some like the may do have dsp vol control on the USB implementation so it will indeed make it quieter. 

In Windows check the device volume is set to 100.

For Linux check device volume too. (I just told roon to use 'device volume' and set it to 100 and that sorted it). 

I had the same thing in the terminator plus but the hardware vol control doesn't do anything on it so it didn't actually make anything quieter

I am seeing similar behavior on a S3 KTE (PCM significantly lower volume than DSD).  I'm sure its a setting somewhere, but have tried the following:

• I am using an OpticalRendu as HQP naa (roon core on ubuntu server 20.04 LTS headless wkst and HQP on its own Win wkst both located in util room). 
  • HQP player volume settings are set to -3db min and max.
  • In roon is shows naa as fixed volume. 
  • When I set naa to device volume (on the HQP icon in roon, per @GoldenOne) it does set it to device, but cannot change volume values in the settings (says device limits max / max values set -3, -3), so I can't set to 100%, then back to fixed.
  • I did power down DAC, plug it into a Win10 laptop (USB), set volume to 100%.  Powered off and hooked OR back up.
  • Balanced out of DAC to preamp
  • Not sure what firmware is installed on DAC, its a new unit.
  • This is the DAC diagnostics in from the OR (not sure what the "Set DAC to max Volume" means/does).  Although DSD is already "loud"

OR DAC diag.JPG

My rig

38 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

As the thing there shows, the DAC is set to 69% volume by the OS that the opticalrendu is using, which is why PCM playback is quiet.
Click the 'set DAC to max volume' button and it should be set to 100

OK, that was a ridiculously long winded question, just to go in and hit the button 😁 🤦‍♂️, that says "Set to Max Volume" 😂 

Ooy, I did see that setting, but wasn't sure what it would do.  I assume that max volume is the setting one wants.

Move along, nothing to see here

My rig

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bertel said:

As you say, the ultraRendu actually has NAA functionality already included, that‘s what you are using already, no need to change that. I have the Signature Rendu and do exactly that, for me the best option. My May KTE does play PCM to PCM 1.536MHz this way, so I‘d expect your ultraRendu to do the same.

A73E756D-5BF2-472B-9060-C6547C9F43E0.jpeg

I thought the sonore products are limited to 705/768 PCM, how are  you getting 32fs?

My rig

Just messing around the other day I was able to do 1411, as shown.  Played most of that album w/o issues.  Sounded great.  Tried again a couple days ago with same settings shown, and it was mostly static.  Weird. 

I don't recall the HQP v3.x settings (auto-rate, set to 1411 or 1536 etc..) but again the pic shows most of what HQP was set to at the time.  I've tried a few other settings in HQP, but still get static at those two rates.  I'll try some more tests as well as a new HQP version

1.411 pcm holo.JPG

My rig

I can confirm FWIW:

• With the latest FW on Gen 2.1 card, PCM 1536 appears to work fine with opticalRendu.
  • I did notice that at the 1536 PCM rate, the network bandwidth requires 100Mbps.  Sending DSD 512 is half that for ref.
  • Someone posted earlier that vbus power is not needed for USB.  Not sure how that was accomplished, but I am unable to make that work (by cutting vbus power) - power is needed at all times.  All the above is with S3 KTE.

pcm net.JPG

My rig

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, JohnDonaldson said:

To stop my dropouts, I changed Buffer Time for my opticalRendu from Default to 100 ms in HQPlayer Settings. Other values may also work.

Curious, what FW are you running on may > 3130, 3132, 3140, 3140 with volume update?

My rig