IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

1 hour ago, Diavolo said:

I'm using the Intel usb on my new roon server so I'm able to play 1.536mhz or DSD1024 through HQPLAYER.  I agree NOS is good too. I never noticed any benefit to the JCAT Femto USB pcie card, truth be told. 

If you are using HQplayer then NOS is your only real option.  Let HQP do the work and leave the dac to do less lifting, if any.

Ah makes sense. 
Two questions:

1) what PCM HQP filter do you use most often at 1.5mhz?

2). When you say you will try DSD1024 are you saying with PCM material?  If DSD sources do you also convert to PCM 1.5mhz or keep those in DSD?

I ask cuz I seldom cross convert with my Spring dac. PCM sounds best at 8fs (highest I can go right now) using ext2, and DSD at DSD256 modulated with ASDM7EC. 
thx

A boatload of dacs are sigma-delta and might as well get upsampled DSD material.  Since you own one of the truly unique (ok, maybe there are a few now that Denafrips and others have joined in) dac architectures that have BOTH a ladder side and a one-bit side, so us Holo owners get to choose.  I can't imagine native DSD sources sounding better at PCM 1.5Mhz, but ymmv.  But yes, keep all PCM sources in PCM and enjoy the 32fs.  :)  I am gonna get a hold of Tim and see if I can get my hands on a May soon, now that I am back in the listening business.  I love the Spring but itching to hear 32fs. 👍

1 hour ago, Flextreme said:

I'm hoping for a software version of Chords M scaler.

Try Sinc-M or Sinc-S.  M does 1 million taps, S does increasing number depending on sample rate.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Flextreme said:

Just discovered this amazing review by Goldenone, not shure why he did not share here, but I will anyhow:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/an-exploration-of-chord-dave-mscaler-qutest-and-holo-may-hqplayer.952934/

Yes, that is a great, well-written review/comparison.  I also want to thank you for turning me onto it because in the thread is a link to the equally nice review by Herb Reichert.  I feel I need to contact him, cuz we live similar audio lives (Holo Spring, RAAL Requisite, HQplayer, Todd Garfinkle friend, etc etc). 

I am going to redouble my efforts to get a May in here.    😎

I just posted on the Holo Spring thread that although I still believe the SU-1 sq is marginally better than via the newer XU208 USB module, the gap narrowed significantly compared to the previous (original) USB module, and it would not surprise me one bit that it could be equal to or better than the SU-1 in a newer more resolving Holo Spring 2 or May.  The SU-1 is likely not the be-all end-all of DDCs, though.

11 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

Thanks for the thoughts. I will pass on try the Singxer then. I wonder if there is any higher end DDC or USB reclocker worth trying or if the May USB implementation is great enough to simply run USB direct from streamer as optimal. 

I certainly would give the May direct USB a long listen, so as to create a benchmark.  And to enjoy this great dac, before doing any more additions for now.  My $.02  Any comparisons after that will be easier if your familiarity with May and USB are solidified.

Lightwave, how powerful is your cpu?  What is the model?  It will have a major say in what filters and modulators to try.  Aslos keep in mind that redbook (cd 16 bit 44.1k sample rate) to DSD256 is the most demanding.  If, like me and my Holo Spring 1 KTE, you stay in the same format (meaning PCM upsampled to high PCM, DSD upsampled to high DSD) the cpu heavy lifting is very much reduced.  And if the May is anything like it's Holo Spring little brother, upsampled PCM sounds great with PCM sources...and same for DSD. 

Lightwave,

If you are using a preamp, set volume control in HQplayer to -3/-3 (and then keep an eye on limit count or volume control turning red; if so lower HQP volume by 1db until that doesn't happen again).  And keep in mind the dither selection (which for May should start your listening comparisions at LS15 or NS9) is only applicable if your source files are PCM.  DSD source files (that stay upmodulated to higher DSD) don't use dither or filters, just modulator choice and the two bottom selections in DSD source selection (I use IIR and wide).  As Jussi says, start out using ext2 for filter selection for both source categories 1x (i.e 444k and 48k) and nx (all other source files like 96k, 192k, etc).  YMMV

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Titanis from Tim too, from a few years ago, and I really haven't given it enough time in my system, each instance I try it.  It seems those times were when too much else was changing in my system that I couldn't isolate it out.  But now that you bring it up, I realize I should install it into my Singxer/Holo/RAAL setup for now, and then give it some time.  These RAALs are so revealing that if the Titanis DOES have value-add I should hear it more plainly than in a larger speaker system.  Thx for the reminder.  🙂

Sorry for taking this OT. 

John Hughes, you need to try HQPlayer sometime soon.  When you get the just the right recipe of filter and dither/modulator (especially if your server has enough gas to do EC modulators) you'll hear that it goes way beyond what Roon can do.  Roon is still a piece of this, but on another machine, feeding HQPlayer (the startling benefits of taking Roon off your HQPlayer machine is quite dramatic in my estimation).  Another nice thing about upsampling in general, and HQPlayer's upsampling in particular, is that almost all dacs have a sweetspot where they sound best.  Because Holo products like May can be put in NOS mode, it's easy to find that sweetspot(s) over time. 

9 minutes ago, John Hughes said:

Are you talking about May's own upsampling?  I've done a lot of comparisons, and what I hear is that while the PCM upsampling sounds a bit 'crisper' and forces the ambience more forward it loses more subtle details and richness inside acoustic instruments. I listen to mostly acoustic-based recordings with real instruments, as opposed to electronic, and that might have more to do with my preference. The DSD upsampling sounds dull and saps the energy from the music to me.

I would assume that, like Holo's earlier wonder dacs like my Holo Spring KTE, the OS modes in the May use cheap DSP chips and cannot compare to even using Roon upsampling, let alone HQplayer or an outboard processor like the Chord M-Scaler.   May is meant to play at NOS mode IMO.  And yes, I would assume, again, that Jeff's great R2R design makes PCM upsampling (to PCM) a real winner.  I never liked crossing over to PCM-to-DSD.  I leave DSD in its own domain, upsampling it to DSD256 via ASDM7EC.  Can't wait to hear May's PCM at 32fs!  👍

8 minutes ago, lpost said:

I wish I could find a PCI-e card with I2S and support for more than 192/32 PCM. I have the Pink Faun with oven clock but the limit doesn't allow the best from HQPe like USB.

+1  Wouldn't a PCI-e card that does what the SIngxers (or other decent DDCs) do, without all the extra cabling and power supplies, be a great thing!

Thank you, yes our stuff sounds great in NOS mode, bypassing upsampling (for DXD) or running HQPlayer in Direct SDM mode for DSD (especially stuff our labels recorded at DSD256).  The new Eudora at DSD256 is pure!  😎

I have a very dear friend who reviews (and now owns) the Ulfberhts, and they are magnificent.  Eric's design of those dome arrays is pure genius.   Now....to get you hearing HQplayer correctly.  :)

Quadman, now that you have the May where you want it, have you tried comparing taking PCM to DSD512 versus taking PCM to very high PCM (like 1532k)?  If so, what is different (or lacking) that you hear better in DSD512?  BTW, "dither" is a PCM term; your ASDM7 or DSDv2 are modulators.  🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I need to get this thing set up soon, as there are too many things going on and I have knee replacement surgery set for less than 4 weeks from now...so I need all variables to stop soon.  🙂  Plus, it will sound even better on pain pills.  😎  (Just kidding....those things mess me up).  I mainly need to have one more night of serious Holo Spring listening before I can properly start any comparison, or at a minimum appreciate the finer things in the May even better.  And this is a demo machine so, albeit cold, it's at least been broken in.  Stay tuned.