IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

Should work with the May, too.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

4 hours ago, Flextreme said:

I have exactly the same issue: with Roon to stream to HQplayer (trail version), but also with local files. At the highest PCM rates, It plays 0.5 speed :)

I tried both Asio and Wasapi.

There are so many options when it comes to filter and output. It would be really nice to see screenshots by experienced May users of HQplayer settings, I'm sure I could learn from your experience. 

I have installed Roon Bridge and HQPlayer on the same Windows machine and use Sync S and LNS15 with Wasapi.

HQPLayer1.jpg

HQPLayer2.jpg

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

My Spring 2 came with the 30.14 firmware. I downloaded the USB driver/firmware package from the Kitsune site.

3 hours ago, Flextreme said:

I'm curious if a Matrix Element H USB can improve the already excellent USB input of the May. Will test soon.

I just have sold my Element H because of the 1411.2/1536kHz thing.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, fds said:

Anyone here using the Holo Audio May with the HQPlayer volume control directly connected to power amps as the favored setting? Is that a setting that works well?

I am using the HQPlayer volume control (via Roon) with my Spring 2 for a couple of days. The DAC is directly connected to active speakers. The main reason to give this a try was the Roon extension rooDial. I am really happy about this solution. The Surface Dial makes the volume control very smooth. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Holo Spring 2 and May USB implementation is special. Maybe StreamFidelity can lend me his XE for 1-2 days.. 😉

How can someone be that busy not to test the XE card! 🙂 My Asmedia card worked under Windows but I haven't tried it with HQPlayer OS yet because I use a NUC booting Jussi's NAA image. Yesterday I have updated my both Euphony NUCs. In NAA mode (Euphony) the playback of 1411.2 and 1536 khz PCM is possible but it's no pleasure. Sounds strange. It seems only Jussi knows the secret under Linux.

On 2/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, Diavolo said:

Tim has the newer XE card to test, but I've not followed up again as the last time I waited like 2 months to see if it worked with the Holo May and he replied he frankly was so busy he hadn't even gotten around to trying it yet, so I let go.  It's been like 2 month since then. 

You should bug him 😁 

I have posted in the Spring thread. Special thanks to @StreamFidelity. Sometimes it helps when you live in the same city. 🙂

Level Pilot could be useful. 🙂 I bought one when I had a DS DAC. I was not so happy with its digital volume control. Well, I will go the 'Serene' road, too. I still have two/three analog sources.

@GoldenOne has created a Serene thread:

• 3 weeks later...

PCM 1411.2 and 1536 kHz playback is possible at least with my Spring 2 DAC and Asmedia 3142. Spring 2 and May have the same firmware versions 30.12 and 30.14 so the result should be the same. I have purchased this card. Additionally, I have the JCAT USB XE built in my "main audio-pc". For this audio-pc (Intel i7-8700) I have two installations (HQPlayer OS and Win 10 LTSC 2019 each of them on a 32 GB Optane stick) I swap now and then. At the moment I use Win 10 for playing with JPLAY and Diretta and HQPlayer Desktop.

I have made a short clip. Sorry for the quality. You see my NUC7i7DNKE as target-pc for Diretta and the Asmedia card connected with help of a m.2 to PCIe adapter. One thing I have to set DAC bits from default (or from 20) to 16. And before you ask concerning sq I think I prefer the NUC USB ports. Maybe because I am not really in the mood to order a HDPLEX case with NUC kit and m.2 to PCIe riser. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, John Hughes said:

I have been able to get PCM output to 768Khz  and DSD output to 512.  When I go above 768Khz, I get garbage coming out.  What's the settings that you guys are using to get 1.5M output?  I've got a powerful PC.

Did you change the firmware from version 30.14 to 30.12? And then there was something about that Intel USB ports are prefered.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Do we have a list of 3rd parties that allow 32fs with 30.12?  I assumed the affected cards would play ok, just not 32fs but now realize it's all or nothing (i.e my Startech Asmedia 1142 card sounds great with my Spring, powered by a JS-2 rail, but is a doorstop if using May and 30.12).

Hi Ted, with my Spring 2 DAC I had success with two Asmedia 3142 cards (El Cheapo and JCAT USB XE).

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

Holzohr,

Thanks!  How do you power the Beyimei? 

With sata power cables. It seems the Spring 2 and I guess the May need them for the handshake. With my former Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro I didn't need any power cable.

The smaller cable in the pic is for the NUC. I don't remember anymore if it was part of the package. 

IMG_20210505_143615.jpg