IGNORED

AAM with PS Audio (or CAPS, Pi)?

Flac2Dac

Wow; haven’t posted over here...in quite some time (used to be Computer Audiophile LOL)

The reason I haven’t posted in so long; is I gave up, all that computer-based player tweaking...and have had an Auralic Aries Mini for that some time.

Ive been steadily, reducing my system footprint; and as such...I just picked up, a PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC to try. Having some trouble, getting AAM to work with the SGDs USB input.

After some futzing...the AAM sees the PSA option for output; but then bombs out on playback. I’ve posted threads, in both the PSA and Auralic forums; but so far...no one seems to able to say for SURE, YES this will work or NO it won’t.

Question 1) Can anyone here...weigh-in, on this combo? FTR...I put a Win netbook on it; did not work without a driver...did with.

i think I want to keep the SGD. I have an NAD C658, sitting on the bench; but that’s actually more bells & whistles that my new approach requires. So...I’ve started thinking, about AAM alternatives.

i still have a “low-level” C.A.P.S. (don’t remember which iteration...except that it has the DN2800MT board). I could always put that back in play...go back to ROON...and use it as a new endpoint (just found out, my media server OS...now has a docker app, that will host ROON Server!). Or...would a Pi build, which might be fun; actually smoke that “old” C.A.P.S.?

Thanks,

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s

Check if the AAM's OS is Linux based. If it is, you will need an upgrade of the USB drivers on the GCD. They don't support Linux out of the box - unfortunately.

I just had the experience myself; the GCD could not see my Pro-Ject Streambox S2 Ultra (which runs Volumio). PSA put in an upgraded motherboard and after that it worked.

The Streambox is a great unit (  https://youtu.be/7CX-pZRhbtI ).

But if you are considering changing your setup upstream from the GCD, look for something with I2S output. It is the native format the GCD prefers.

Good luck.

Thanks Red Dog. I suspect that’s the issue.

I’ve posted, at the PSA board; surprised someone didn’t mention that.

(CD)Lehner "This whole world, is wild at heart...and weird on top" - Lula Pace Fortune

MAIN System- ALLO USBridge Signature> Denafrips ARES II> Audiolab 6000a> PMC Twenty-Five 21s