MbraHam

Antipodes CX or EX to begin with

Rate this topic

Hi there, 

I'm close to either buying an Antipodes CX or an EX as I can't afford to get both of them at the same time. Does anyone have experience with these two separately? 

I realise best thing to do is to go check out for myself - which I will, but it'd be interesting as well to get feedback from users who've probably had more time / experience than I'll have to audition. 

thanks!

Auralic Aries - Antelope Zodiac Gold/Voltikus - Crystal Reference Diamond - Pathos TT - Crystal micro - Rogers LS3/5a

I don’t have experience with their products - I’m responding only because I read up on them just yesterday.  The EX is their “entry level” model where they cut back on some capabilities available in the CX.  It sounds like they are suggesting that one start with the EX:  ‘You can upgrade it to the absolute state-of-the-art by adding a CX later, to become the CX+EX solution.”  

I’d likely go about it the opposite way and start with the CX first.  This should be a HUGE step up from your Aries.  You will likely find yourself not in a big hurry to add the EX.  Just my two cents.

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Alpha USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC isothermal tube traps

thanks @kennyb123

The idea is indeed to be rid of my NAS, Aries and Sonicorbiter and have internal storage, which I intend to back up to somewhere in a cloud. I've got a Roon account, so ever the better with either CX or EX. My current thinking is indeed to probably opt for the CX, my post is mainly to see if anyone has a valid reason to start with the EX, (other than financial). 

Secondly, I see you've got an Innuos, which I am still considering. Are you using that with Roon? 

thanks again!

Auralic Aries - Antelope Zodiac Gold/Voltikus - Crystal Reference Diamond - Pathos TT - Crystal micro - Rogers LS3/5a

The CX is a more high power server, the EX is intended as lower power streamer. On their own website, Antipodes uses the terms server and renderer. Here they state EX is the best renderer and CX the best server: https://antipodes.audio/product/antipodes-cx/

In this review you will find a description of the SQ of both when functioning stand alone: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/antipodes-cx-ex-part2/

I only have first hand experience with the EX stand alone and the EX / CX combo, so can’t comment first hand on the SQ of the CX stand alone. My gut feeling however says it’s better to use the best renderer directly connected to your DAC instead of the best server.

15 hours ago, MbraHam said:

Secondly, I see you've got an Innuos, which I am still considering. Are you using that with Roon? 

Yes I am

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Alpha USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC isothermal tube traps

Agreed with the above post. I have the EX and P2 reclocker and I'm demo'ing the CX as we speak. The EX is really really good. I wouldn't call it an entry but on its own I prefer it's sound to the CX on its own. Musical and smooth. Both of them together still sound musical but has an even more organic presentation with better detail as separation. If you have any more questions, shoot!