IGNORED

Bi-Amping Discussion

if an engineer rips out the passive crossover in the loudspeakers they make and adding an amp for each driver things, are likely to improve...

next level down would be a consumer ripping out (bypassing) the passive crossover in their loudspeakers that are designed for bi-amping...

otherwise, not a fan

I used to use a 5 channel amp to drive my old maggies, bypassing the Xover in each one - but my new ones have a better Xover, so I sold my old Sunfire amp

2 hours ago, photonman said:

What about the "dual-mono" single chassis amps out there, do they qualify as biamping too?  Specifically if you have an amp with a seperate power supply and amp board for each channel but only one common mains connection, do you get the same benefits of bi-amping?  Seems you would stay within KISS parameters.

one driver; one amp

dula mono could work if you put 2 of them in a stereo system

4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Maybe an acoustic engineer. Just being an electrical or mechanical engineer doesn't give you enough knowledge to design a great loudspeaker without specific training. There are plenty of DIY'ers who know more about designing speakers than most engineers will ever know. 

Well designed passive crossovers use techniques that most people are unaware of. They think you can just replace a passive crossover with active fourth order slopes at some chosen frequency and that's going to be an improvement. In fact it will likely sound like crap, because of improper driver timing and no baffle step correction. 

did you miss this: "the loudspeakers they make"