Jump to content

Canceled Spotify Premium ... need new recommendations


Recommended Posts

I regret that I have decided to cancel Spotify Premium. I thought it was one of the best.  But I have not tried any other pay for streaming music service.

 

what does everyone like?

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both Spotify and Tidal. Outside my house I use Spotify because it's smaller bitrate since in my country we have expensive mobile internet. I've found some playlists with many songs of Classic & Progressive Rock and I hear mostly them. In the house on the other side I use Roon + Tidal. Their integration is excellent and the Roon Radio makes my day everyday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HIFI said:

I regret that I have decided to cancel Spotify Premium. I thought it was one of the best.  But I have not tried any other pay for streaming music service.

 

what does everyone like?

 

Been using Amazon Music. Like it very much.

 

I get Naxos through my Library for free 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried Amazon HD, Tidal, Qobuz, and Deezer. I can canceled both Tidal and Qobuz before the trial was over. I don't like Tidal thinking everyone wants to listen to Rap because I sure don't. Qobuz apps both Windows and Android were the least intuitive of all. I actually like Deezer even though it's maxed at CD quality and the others all have higher resolution files. In the end after the Deezer trial ends I'll probably be going back to Amazon HD. As an Amazon Prime member it's the lowest cost with the Prime discount and has quite a bit of high res files and pretty good apps for Windows and Android.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HC515 said:

I've tried Amazon HD, Tidal, Qobuz, and Deezer. I can canceled both Tidal and Qobuz before the trial was over. I don't like Tidal thinking everyone wants to listen to Rap because I sure don't. Qobuz apps both Windows and Android were the least intuitive of all. I actually like Deezer even though it's maxed at CD quality and the others all have higher resolution files. In the end after the Deezer trial ends I'll probably be going back to Amazon HD. As an Amazon Prime member it's the lowest cost with the Prime discount and has quite a bit of high res files and pretty good apps for Windows and Android.

How do you get music to your audio system?

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

Link to post
Share on other sites

My amp a Peachtree Decco125Sky has wireless built-in. It works with Tidal, Qobuz, and Deezer but can be a little temperamental at times. Amazon HD is not supported right now but should be in the future. But I'm finding the laptop wired to the amp by USB is more reliable so I've been using that more recently. Peachtree relies on 3rd party apps for the wireless so that may be part of the problem. If I'm not mistaken Peachtree may be working on their own app for wireless which is hopefully more reliable. At any rate the laptop tethered to the amp is not that big of a deal anymore even though that is why I bought an amp with built-in wireless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HC515 said:

My amp a Peachtree Decco125Sky has wireless built-in. It works with Tidal, Qobuz, and Deezer but can be a little temperamental at times. Amazon HD is not supported right now but should be in the future. But I'm finding the laptop wired to the amp by USB is more reliable so I've been using that more recently. Peachtree relies on 3rd party apps for the wireless so that may be part of the problem. If I'm not mistaken Peachtree may be working on their own app for wireless which is hopefully more reliable. At any rate the laptop tethered to the amp is not that big of a deal anymore even though that is why I bought an amp with built-in wireless. 

Ah, OK. Make sure your app is playing the content at the correct sample rate and not attenuating the volume etc...

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, HIFI said:

I regret that I have decided to cancel Spotify Premium. I thought it was one of the best.  But I have not tried any other pay for streaming music service.

 

what does everyone like?

Spotify is one on the best for music discovery with their algorithms that track what we play and like and then present curated playlists based on that data.  Many of us make concessions with music quality due to their excellent interface and features such as connect and a great selection of playlists to suit all tastes and moods.  Amazon HD is trying to follow Spotify with their user specific playlists but they are not quite there yet. Amazon does have the CD quality and higher streams but honestly, I cannot tell the difference between Amazon and Spotify.  The Ogg Vorbis that Spotify uses to compress the streams seems like a pretty good codec.  Everytime I try divorcing myself from Spotify I run back to it.

 

If you are not into music discovery and using their curated playlists, than the other services might be better suited expecially if you want the better quality streams.  I just signed up for a month of Amazon thinking that when I know what album I want to hear, I would use Amazon to get the CD quality, but I somehow end up back on Spotify ($13 sunk).

RIG:  MB Pro - Benchmark DAC3 L | Benchmark AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:   Van Damme XLR Canare 4S11 Biwire Lifatec optical Wireworld and IsoTek power

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, photonman said:

Spotify is one on the best for music discovery with their algorithms that track what we play and like and then present curated playlists based on that data.  Many of us make concessions with music quality due to their excellent interface and features such as connect and a great selection of playlists to suit all tastes and moods.  Amazon HD is trying to follow Spotify with their user specific playlists but they are not quite there yet. Amazon does have the CD quality and higher streams but honestly, I cannot tell the difference between Amazon and Spotify.  The Ogg Vorbis that Spotify uses to compress the streams seems like a pretty good codec.  Everytime I try divorcing myself from Spotify I run back to it.

 

If you are not into music discovery and using their curated playlists, than the other services might be better suited expecially if you want the better quality streams.  I just signed up for a month of Amazon thinking that when I know what album I want to hear, I would use Amazon to get the CD quality, but I somehow end up back on Spotify ($13 sunk).

Of the Four HD services I found Deezer to be the best for music discovery.  Amazon HD and Qobuz a distant second and Tidal doesn't give a crap what you listen to they just keep feeding you rap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HC515 said:

Tidal doesn't give a crap what you listen to they just keep feeding you rap.

 

We understand you absolutely hate "rap" music, but your claim about Tidal forcing rap music on Tidal users is not true.    

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | Sablon 2020 cabling, PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

 

Desktop: Denafrips Iris | Chord Qutest  | Eddie Current Zana Deux Super | Sennheiser HD800

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

So did you switch to another streaming music service from Spotify? 🙂 

I didn't see anyone mention SoundCloud here. I quite like it. You can listen to music on their website without having to login in or sign up for a new account. If you are into Indie music, there are numbers of talented independent musicians on SoundCloud. Definitely worth the subscription. You'd be surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...